Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 06:41 AM

16,826 posts, read 14,969,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

So...your car wouldn't be cooler if it was parked in the garage, rather than in the broiling sun?
The sun doesn't fade the paint on your car?

Trees, my friend.
And no, the sun doesn't damage it. I get it washed and waxed regularly, which should be done anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 AM

50,055 posts, read 46,553,810 times
It's a car, not a person. It can sit outside just fine. One can baby their "car" all they want and it's still going to get trashed when the snow is melting or it's raining. I think someone has parking issues.

It's a public street! People can park where they want.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's a car, not a person. It can sit outside just fine. One can baby their "car" all they want and it's still going to get trashed when the snow is melting or it's raining. I think someone has parking issues.

It's a public street! People can park where they want.
Or when the hail falls (yes, this does happen quite a lot in Florida) or when getting stuck behind that stubborn dump truck...

Old 02-17-2015, 07:54 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Because in Florida, a garage is practically useless if the car is being used every day.
Interesting? We use our cars everyday and somehow we get through the struggle of pushing the button on the garage door opener so we can pull our cars in and out.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:00 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
yup... I prefer to let my $35 car sit outside, and let my $30,000 bulldozer enjoy the garage.

Cars are 'dispensable'. IMHO. I have 34 cars, quite a few of them have to live outside. All my motorcycles enjoy living inside. Only a couple of my trucks will fit in the garage (it only has a 12' high door).

I suppose...An HOA would not be impressed.
I remember reading about your inexpensive cars more then once but you said you we're paying $50 for your cars. Were you able to get your car "dealer" to give you an additional discount down to $35?

Old 02-17-2015, 08:13 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,590,188 times
Well let's see....

My garage is 20x20. Inside of it is a workbench, a riding mower, shelving with various cleaning supplies, a pressure washer, coolers, 4 bicycles, fishing gear, yard equipment, a refrigerator, a water heater, and my tool box. Not only that, my truck is too long to fit so the garage door closes on the tailgate. My wife's car will fit in if it is completely clean but there's little room to walk around it once in.

Many vehicles are getting too large to fit in garages now if your house is more than 10 years old.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
I really do not understand this phenomenon. I look up and down the streets of my neighborhood, or any suburban area for that matter, and I see this: cars parked in the driveways. Houses with 2 or 3 car garages, and the majority of cars are left out in the driveways.

We had some snow last night, I was out shoveling the driveway this morning and my neighbor was out there grumbling and cursing at how they had to clean the snow off of both of their cars. They have a 2 car garage, and their 2 cars get parked in the driveway. Same issue when there was a rash of break-ins a few years ago, they grumbled about their cars being broken into but they have a perfectly secure garage they could both get parked in.

Why would anyone leave both cars outside, especially with bad weather coming? I can't think of the last time one of my vehicles was left out for the night.
Because I keep other stuff in my garage (no, not 'junk', though I see that many people who are completely clueless of what I keep in my garage have proceeded to ignorantly presume it is just that).

Because I use the some of the space in my garage for things other than storage, of either cars or other items.

Because I'd rather just brush the snow off my car in the morning, than park it in the garage and then have it dripping snow/ice/sand/salt onto the garage floor when I return home after of parking outdoors at my place of work and then driving home on wintry roads.

Because I don't particularly care what the sun does to my 10-year-old Nissan's finish.

My car is a tool. It performs functions. My garage is a tool. It performs functions. My car does what I need it to do just fine after being parked in my driveway. My garage does what I need it to do best when there is not a car living in it. Neither are toys, neither are objects of my adoration.

People need to get over themselves, and realize that others have different - and entirely valid - priorities.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Interesting? We use our cars everyday and somehow we get through the struggle of pushing the button on the garage door opener so we can pull our cars in and out.
What purpose does it serve? My driveway is shaded by giant oaks. We don't get snow. The front door is a short walk from the driveway, and leads to a foyer. The garage door leads to the kitchen pantry area.
The boat and jetskis are in the garage, as they don't come out nearly as much.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:29 AM

50,055 posts, read 46,553,810 times
These threads are ALWAYS about parking, public parking. Me? I'm too busy at work to worry about where my neighbors are parking.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:34 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,521,896 times
My former neighbor never used her garage. I assumed it was used as a storage area instead, but I don't know. I love my garage and I'd hate living somewhere without one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive