Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 05:06 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My truck wont fit in the garage
In my last home, I installed a camper shell on my PU and it would no longer fit through the garage door.
I had a contractor raise the door a few inches and installed a new door. Simple problem, simple solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 05:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

So...your car wouldn't be cooler if it was parked in the garage, rather than in the broiling sun?
The sun doesn't fade the paint on your car?

I think his point was that if you use your car every day then it isn't at home for most of those broiling hours.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:17 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianf408 View Post
I really do not understand this phenomenon. I look up and down the streets of my neighborhood, or any suburban area for that matter, and I see this: cars parked in the driveways. Houses with 2 or 3 car garages, and the majority of cars are left out in the driveways.

We had some snow last night, I was out shoveling the driveway this morning and my neighbor was out there grumbling and cursing at how they had to clean the snow off of both of their cars. They have a 2 car garage, and their 2 cars get parked in the driveway. Same issue when there was a rash of break-ins a few years ago, they grumbled about their cars being broken into but they have a perfectly secure garage they could both get parked in.

Why would anyone leave both cars outside, especially with bad weather coming? I can't think of the last time one of my vehicles was left out for the night.
Definitely one of the Big Mysteries of Life, BrianF . . .

It is everywhere . . . Full Two-Car or Larger Garages stuffed full of worthless "throw-away" stuff while a $20k up to a $100k Vehicle sits outside in the elements rotting and depreciating away or, even worse, being subjected to the whims of the Local Thugs / DirtBags.

It is tough trying to fix STUPID.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:22 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I have a two car garage but it's hard to imagine fitting 2 cars into it. You'd have to squeeze as far over as possible on the left side, and then it would still be hard to open the driver's door on the other side. Fortunately, this is a single car household, so I have plenty of room for the car and then a fair amount of storage. From what I can see, many of my neighbors use their garage for one car and some storage and then park the second car on the street.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:24 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Ex-gf had way too much junk to put anything in her two car garage.

The relationship was doomed from the start because i hate junk and clutter.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:26 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Definitely one of the Big Mysteries of Life, BrianF . . .

It is everywhere . . . Full Two-Car or Larger Garages stuffed full of worthless "throw-away" stuff while a $20k up to a $100k Vehicle sits outside in the elements rotting and depreciating away or, even worse, being subjected to the whims of the Local Thugs / DirtBags.

It is tough trying to fix STUPID.

This I had numerous discussion with my mom about leaving her at the tiime new car sat outside for tree sap and birds to crap on while stuff that shoould have been thrown away sat in her garage.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:27 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Only in America do people park their $30K cars outside because their garages are full of worthless junk.

$30k truck in the driveway and $45k worth of tools and vehicles in the garage. I'm not sure I'd want to live where people store that kind of stuff in the yard. I don't care if it's eXMark and Stihl, it's still going to look like Sanford & Son, or get stolen.

And to some people a car is nothing more than a means to travel. Cost is irrelevant since it is ultimately a disposable commodity. Or their cars just don't fit in the garage. I had a 7' door at my old house and my truck wouldn't fit because of the length AND the height. I guess it's not always a matter of worthless junk.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Wouldn't you think that some (or--hopefully--most) of those people would have finally figured out that they need to throw out most of the accumulated junk in their garages, so that they could shelter their cars from... winter's snow and ice...and summer's bird droppings and sun damage?

No.
Nor is it my business what goes on inside their lives, heads, emotions, work or
how they are dealing with whatever or what their priorities are.
I'm a Mary, perfectly content.
Others are Martha's scurrying around expecting things of me.**

**It's like the story of Martha and Mary....Martha is feeding the
whole house of people working so hard to 'do things'....she complains to Jesus...Hey!
Can you tell Mary to help me already?!

He says, as Mary is looking adoringly up into his face...She is where she is supposed to be.
While some people are busy having neat garages, others are doing wonderfully fulfilling
'other things'. Different priorities.
I'm a Mary, perfectly content...with a full garage, car in the snowy driveway.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:29 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default good old dad has five parking places and the car is oustside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Only in America do people park their $30K cars outside because their garages are full of worthless junk.
When dad ran his shop you could eat off the parts room floor. Now, he has five buildings and a convertible is parked outside. A tent, which the wind picks up and slams down on the car, has caused some minor damage but it's a new top and a new paint job, turning the car from perfect to a blem that will have to be fixed before sale.

So FINALLY I got my brother (usually the japanese touriest in the family; former photog.) to send a disc as to what was in the buidings. Paperwork and auto fluids and can of stuff.....fifty years old. I guess he just gave up. Sheesh.

We finally moved the two cars inside the same drywalled double garage as that's what California insurance requires. Collector cars need to be inside, not outside.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:37 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,400 times
Quote:
For over 15 years???
I and most of my neighbors have been here since the houses were built--in 1996-97.

I can understand putting something off for a while.
I can understand "forgetting"...at least temporarily.

But, after experiencing snow and ice storms for most of the winters during those years............................................. ................
Wouldn't you think that some (or--hopefully--most) of those people would have finally figured out that they need to throw out most of the accumulated junk in their garages, so that they could shelter their cars from... winter's snow and ice...and summer's bird droppings and sun damage?

I know right? I think some people just keep accumulating things, the clutter becomes overwhelming, and they end up not doing anything with it other than adding more to it, piling boxes on top of boxes, old furniture on top of more old furniture, etc.

Maybe some people just never come up with a plan for all the stuff. Or maybe they keep telling themselves they'll have a garage sale, take some things to a thrift store, or whatever but it just doesn't happen.

I guess they eventually decide they'd prefer to keep their stuff inside and their cars outside, or for some people that might have even been their plan when they bought the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive