Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:03 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,075,983 times

Advertisements

So I brought my truck via flatbed to local mechanic, they could not fix and suggested I bring to Ford. Brought to Ford Monday evening 2/9, get call back Tuesday they know the problem, then get a callback that wasn't the problem but now they know what needs to be fixed, I authorize a rather hefty repair bill because I can't afford to have another car payment, get callback Wednesday evening their repair did not fix issue 100% so now they are waiting on Ford HQ for further instruction. I go there Saturday, talk to advisor, says a tech is coming in special to work on my truck and he will call me that day. No call. Get call today, they are waiting for engineering to call them to proceed with a certain fix, and I would get callback later today, well again no call.

I told him I need a date, I think a week is a long time, I was never told parts were on back order etc, but wow am I getting the runaround.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 06:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,237,834 times
Go soeak to the service manager if you're gettingbthe tun around, if that doesn't help general manager. Then owner

Old 02-16-2015, 06:19 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,621,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
So I brought my truck via flatbed to local mechanic, they could not fix and suggested I bring to Ford. Brought to Ford Monday evening 2/9, get call back Tuesday they know the problem, then get a callback that wasn't the problem but now they know what needs to be fixed, I authorize a rather hefty repair bill because I can't afford to have another car payment, get callback Wednesday evening their repair did not fix issue 100% so now they are waiting on Ford HQ for further instruction. I go there Saturday, talk to advisor, says a tech is coming in special to work on my truck and he will call me that day. No call. Get call today, they are waiting for engineering to call them to proceed with a certain fix, and I would get callback later today, well again no call.

I told him I need a date, I think a week is a long time, I was never told parts were on back order etc, but wow am I getting the runaround.
Most likely the parts and labor you paid for, or will soon be charger for, is you paying for their guessing games. You shouldn't be charged for work they did that wasn't the problem, but you can bet they will lie and say, although what they did didn't fix the problem, you definitely did need that work done too. Keeps them from eating the cost of their wild guesses. I would already be looking for a shop that knows what they are doing, rather than guessing.
I spent some time as a dealership mechanic and I know how they work, the customer pays for their mistakes.
You would be far better off finding a good independent shop highly recommended and, like your doctor, stay with them forever..!
Don't know what state you live in, but in California, the DMV has investigators who will look into such practices. Tell the dealer you will not pay for their guesses and mention the DMV, and the BAR,( Bureau of Automotive Repair), it might get their attention. Both of those agencies investigate shady mechanic in Calif
Good luck.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,127,385 times
If it is Dan the mechanic then a week is normal. It takes couple of days for him just to find out that I dropped the car off. You see, he doesn’t go to that dungeon to check the drop off slot very often.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:41 PM

384 posts, read 727,841 times
What needs to be fixed? If they are calling the engineer, then it is a serious problem..

Old 02-17-2015, 05:02 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,075,983 times
Real quickly, truck was stalling at lights, and backfiring and bucking, first they thought it was a wiring issuecto a sensor and that was not it, so they replaced a cam phaser and truck still runs rough and the diagnostic equipment they hook the truck up to is not reading right. codes say what was wrong was fixed but obviously not.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:16 AM

6,013 posts, read 6,600,115 times
It can take multiple weeks to track down gremlins. While unpleasant it can happen and does happen periodically. If they are calling in Engineering, it's a serious issue. I'd try to give them time to diagnose and repair it properly. Otherwise you may get a half done job because you are rushing them to get your vehicle back and be back in there later on. Ask them to work out a loaner vehicle for you. Our Ford dealership will do that with no hassle at all. Our Toyota dealership does it as well.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,219,792 times
Give them time and tell them to take their time (so long as they give you a loaner), then it will be fixed right.

While many repairs can be done in a day, some things can take a week or more.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:32 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,730,354 times
If you think your getting the run-around then call the below number !!!

1 (800) 392-3673
Ford Motor Company, Customer service

Old 02-17-2015, 02:34 PM

273 posts, read 239,190 times
If your local mechanic is not qualified to make the repair why are you b****ing about the guys who are?

Serious stuff takes time to track down and fix. That should be a lesson to you not to waste your time and money messing with the shade-tree mechanic in the first place.....go right to the dealer.

He probably fubared something up himself that needs fixed now too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive