Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:38 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,652,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
The pickup truck regional preferences is kind of interesting. The far west likes the Ram, the upper midwest is staunchly Silverado, and the rest is F-Series.
Why is that? I'm not a truck guy so I'm uncertain as to why certain models cluster in various regions. There is snow in Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota; however, is the increased severity of storms a reason the Silverado is more popular in the NE? And is the F-Series a better choice in hotter, dryer climates? OTOH, it's not clear as to what the margins are in popularity, and it may be very close amongst models in any given region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
I agree what map was this person looking at to me the F150 is still the most sold vehical in the country.
Fords best selling for 30 something years shtick is, like all other car manufacturer and dealer claims, not exactly truthful.

First all three deceptively report their truck sales by including fleet sales and sales of all models as 1 number. So the F150 F250 F350 and now the F450 all get chalked up as F series sales. So its not easy to tell exactly how much of any 1 model is being sold.

Second while the best selling truck line is technically true the actual truth is a little more complicated. GM reports sales of chevy trucks and gmc trucks separately. If you combine those 2, since they are the same truck made by the same mfr, just wearing different badges, then you would see that over the last 40 years the sales have been very very close. Sometimes GM takes the lead and sometimes Ford. Usually who has the lead has to do with who rolled out updated/upgraded models. GM had a decent lead for many years until about 2009 then after the filing bankruptcy Ford took the lead and as far as I know still hold it.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:23 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
How about one of these? Very popular, here: VW UP

Old 02-21-2015, 05:00 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,705 times
C-O-O-L Chart!!!! From where I am living I would have though it would have been the opposite, Vermont Subaru and Maine General Motors Product.....

Old 02-21-2015, 05:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I was expecting to see more dominance by the Japaneses brands. Good to see that American makes still dominate across most of the map.
You can thank trucks for that, not surprisingly in the heavily manufacturing and ag states. Where cars are concerned, the Japanese still rule by a wide margin.

The only individual state that really surprised me was GMC in Vermont, which would have seemed like a no-brainer for Subaru. But I wasn't expecting such a stark Chevy/Ford divide between the upper Midwest vs. the Plains and the South. I can't even come up with an educated guess as to why that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Since the profit margins are much higher on trucks than cars, I am not sure the domestics are complaining about dominating in truck sales still...
Unfortunately, their reliance on truck profits makes them particularly vulnerable to changing economic conditions and changing fuel prices.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
How about one of these? Very popular, here: VW UP
99.6% of Americans have never heard of the VW up. Half of the remaining .4% hang out here in the City-Data Automotive forum. The entire Volkswagen marque only has a 2% market share in the USA. and the up is not among the models sold here.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:25 AM

13,646 posts, read 9,701,990 times
To me, the principal message of such "maps" isn't the relative jostling between F-150/Silverado/Ram, but yet more evidence of cultural differences between America's "heartland" and the coasts. The heartland prefers full-size trucks. The coasts prefer sedans. Perhaps the one surprise is that much of the Deep South also prefers sedans.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:41 AM

707 posts, read 1,407,333 times
I was really surprised at just how many Ram trucks were #1 in the western states.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:45 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
To me, the principal message of such "maps" isn't the relative jostling between F-150/Silverado/Ram, but yet more evidence of cultural differences between America's "heartland" and the coasts. The heartland prefers full-size trucks. The coasts prefer sedans. Perhaps the one surprise is that much of the Deep South also prefers sedans.
The Deep South still loves their pickups, but the Tundra does bite into the F-150 and Silverado's marketshare a bit more down here. As far as cars are concerned though, Toyota and Hyundai/Kia are the biggest sellers here.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:50 AM

707 posts, read 1,407,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
This seems more accurate to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive