Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 09:35 PM

289 posts, read 608,228 times

Advertisements

I have a 2001 Sienna XLE with 150K miles. Never had an issue with power doors. Once in a while (about once a year) they might get mis-aligned, you are supposed to open them manually all the way and that fixes the issue. There is a power door disable button in the dash which can disable the power doors, if safety is your concern. Also, the doors do not open if the van is in (D)rive. Driver side power door does not open if the gas filler cap is open.

It might be a tough call if 3K price difference just gets you power doors. I am sure there are many other features in LE which cause its price to go up by 3K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:36 PM

308 posts, read 499,048 times
My sister has Honda odyssey with power doors and two kids. They love this feature and use it all the time. My dad has Toyota sienna with power door also. He's more "old school" and doesn't like to use it because he doesn't want to "wear" it out. But does admit it is a lot more convenient.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:27 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times
OP here. Thank you all for your input.

The LX gained:
Climate control
Power doors
Push start
Touch screen audio
8th seat
3rd floor mat
Rims
Lane watch camera
Smart unlocking
Center console
Conversation mirror
Color matched mirrors and handles
Air filtration

But we still opted for the base model. It's still a very nice van. But we just didn't trust the push start or power doors.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:19 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,693 times
Had a 2011 Ody with power sliding doors and it was a god sent when my daughter was a just a toddler.
Never broke down and the only problem I had with it was when people who didn't know better would try to force open it.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:40 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post
OP here. Thank you all for your input.

The LX gained:
Climate control
Power doors
Push start
Touch screen audio
8th seat
3rd floor mat
Rims
Lane watch camera
Smart unlocking
Center console
Conversation mirror
Color matched mirrors and handles
Air filtration

But we still opted for the base model. It's still a very nice van. But we just didn't trust the push start or power doors.
Not sure what the price difference was but those are some nice features to have especially push start

Old 02-25-2015, 09:10 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
My sentiments exactly. But, I would expand it to include "Power" anything, and add that such things increase weight and decrease fuel economy.
Actuialy modern power window setups are just as light, if not lighter than older manul crank windows. And power locks are part of anti theft and anti-carjacking systems.

I've had power window regulators fail, and I've had manual crank window regulators/gears fail, so I wouldn't say either one is more reliable than the other, but power windows are more convenint, especially when the windows youre operating are in the rear seat area or on the opposite side of a mid-size or larger car when you're belted in and can't reach the window cranks (same with power locks). So why not get the one that's more convenint if youre not actually sacrificing reliability or weight (and to be honest, they are not adding materially to the cost, either. Adjusting for inflation, the cost of these higher equipped cars has actually gone down)

Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Besides, if you own it for more than five years, they WILL break eventually.
Everything can break eventually, given a long enough timeline, but as many posters in this thread ahve shown, 10+ years and 150k+ miles later, their power doors are still working, so you're factually wrong (as you so often are)

Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:

You do realize that the push start is identical to the key start, don't you? In both cases a electrical contact is made to send the electrical signal to start the car. One is done when the key is turned and the internal switch closes the contacts, the other is done with a finger press on a switch that closes the contacts. No less relaible than any key start since electrical starting was invented back in the 1920s.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:54 AM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
sensors on the door rocks. When someone is inbetween them, its beeps and doesn't close.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:18 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You do realize that the push start is identical to the key start, don't you? In both cases a electrical contact is made to send the electrical signal to start the car. One is done when the key is turned and the internal switch closes the contacts, the other is done with a finger press on a switch that closes the contacts. No less relaible than any key start since electrical starting was invented back in the 1920s.
I think a few dozen Toyota owners would disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive