Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:06 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
The problem with storing a car battery on concrete is not discharging the battery. The acid vapors eat the concrete.

My father left a 6-volt battery from a '57 Chevy on the garage floor and when he put it back in the car, the surface of the floor was eaten away down to the aggregate.
Interesting, because I have used battery acid to clean concrete and it never attacked it.

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 10:15 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can put it on wood blocks( not concrete) then use a maintainer like Battery Tender constantly. I use one for my lawn mower battery when not in use. Guys I know with motorcycles and limited use hot rods do same. Do not forget check water; if not maintenance free.
Where do you plug in the maintainer on the street corner?

Old 07-04-2017, 10:20 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post

I would recommend getting a portable battery charger. Like:
Peak Review 2015 - TopTenREVIEWS
These die too. I have one right now that I could use but it is as dead as the battery I wanted to jump it with.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Even disconnected, the battery will eventually go dead. If you battery goes dead and freezes, it is almost always destroyed. Every time it goes dead, there is a chance it will be ruined, even if it does not freeze (freezing just basically guarantees it will be ruined). A solar maintainer is a good option, but it will draw attention the the fact the car is sitting for long periods. Eventually, someone will steal your battery and or your solar maintainer.

If you have even basic tool knowledge you can just remove the battery, take it home and put it on a trickle charger/maintainer in your house. The trickle chargers (maintainers) that are plug in are very very cheap. Sometimes you find them at Harbor Freight for under $5. The problem is you have to bring the battery back to the car and install it every time you go to use the car, and your clock, radio settings etc will all be reset. Your alarm is also non-functional with the battery removed. Another option is for you or someone you trust to go start it for ten minutes every few days. You or they could also move it for you so it is not so obviously unattended.

For about three years, I had a car I kept in California for work while I lived in Michigan. Often periods of two or more months went by when I did not need to be in California. At first I had access to a secured parking garage, but later, it sat in a public parking lot, that is when I had problems. Leaving it out in one place, it eventually gets noticed by kids, homeless people etc. Kids will let the air out of the tires, they apparently think that is funny. Thieves may take the battery or the wheels and they may damage the car doing so. At one point I had a homeless guy break into my car and live in it for an unknown period of time. The battery was dead, so the alarm did not sound. The police found him sleeping it and called me. He claimed I gave him permission to live in my car. I had go get the interior detailed to get the smell out. He also stole all the change I throw into my console.

For a while I had someone go move the car every five or so days. That kept the battery charged and prevented people from seeing it constantly in the same place covered in dust and obviously not moving. Later, my friend was unable to move it for me, so I gave up, brought it home and just rented a car when I needed one. Car rental prices dropped so low it did not make sense to keep it there anymore. Unfortunately, a while later, rental prices shot way way up. Uber also makes a good alternative to the cost of keeping a car you do not use for months at a time.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:50 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Interesting, because I have used battery acid to clean concrete and it never attacked it.

Don in Austin
You didn't leave it there for more than a few minutes. This happens over weeks or months.

Last edited by Troubleshooter; 07-09-2017 at 08:26 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 08:20 PM

1,094 posts, read 883,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
The battery was leaking. Probably of the old "tar-top" design which has been obsolete for some time.

Don in Austin
This happened in 1963. and actually it was just the vapor escaping from the vents that condensed on the side of the battery and then ran down. The garage was heated and cooled by sun and night.

But it is the reason for the Popular Science auto tip from the 1930s, which said:

"Leaving a car battery on a concrete floor will ruin it."

Too many antecedents for that "it". It ruins the concrete floor, not the battery.

Too many people read that tip and thought it ruined the battery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive