Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The speed limits on Interstates need to be eliminated altogether. The safest speed to drive is whatever the flow of traffic is moving at. It's the disruption of this flow of traffic that causes accidents. Aggressively ticket the slow pokes in the left lane, people passing on the left, tailgaters and aggressive drivers. You'll reduce accidents, increase the flow of traffic and make everyone a lot happier.
It would be very difficult to ticket someone for aggressive driving if there are no posted speed limits, it would be the officer's word against the driver's.

In my area, I do think the 55 speed limits on some rural highways could be increased to 65 without any increase in accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 07:19 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It would be very difficult to ticket someone for aggressive driving if there are no posted speed limits, it would be the officer's word against the driver's.

In my area, I do think the 55 speed limits on some rural highways could be increased to 65 without any increase in accidents.
It's still your word against LE unless they recorded your speed on radar. Reckless driving and a simple "speeding" ticket don't need anything more than the signature of LE.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If you enforce drive right laws you eliminate a lot of the aggressive driving because the opportunity to drive like an idiot is less available. Anybody that wants to drive fast has little choice but to stay in the left lane. From there your aggressive drivers will either be tailgaters or passing on the right.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,426,948 times
You better be doing 80 if your in the left lane on the freeway in southern Calif or your a danger to everyone. The Highway Patrol only seems to ticket you if your going faster than the cars around you especally if your going over 80. My pet peeve is people entering the freeway at 40 and then take a half mile to get up to 65.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Everyone thinks they are not the drivers that they complain about. But, look how many bad driving threads or articles inundate forums and media. Ever drive the Jersey T-Pike, BQE or Atlanta at rush hour?! lolz. For every "bad" driver you cursed out and raged on on your way into work today, there were three saying the exact same thing about you. People are not the great drivers they think they are. Most likely, you are exactly what you complain about if you are obsessed by speed. I feel the speed limits are too high for skill levels and psychological make-up of the majority of drivers. Drive on any major interstate below Vermont on any rush hour to substantiate this simple fact
The few people I know, who like myself, leave early, resign themselves to the right lane--cruise control on the limit, seem to never have all the problems "good" drivers have. Why is that?
Where's the "wild applause" smilie? Oh, well,

Old 03-05-2015, 12:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
I got a ticket for supposedly going 75 on the Clearview Expressway in Queens. The limit is 50, on a highway that's as straight and traffic-free as a drag strip. The ticket indicated the method of speed determination was visual estimation, and of course 25 over means more money. I "happened" to go 25 over. Right. I got a traffic lawyer and it was reduced but I still ended up having to pay nearly as much, but it didn't all go to the state like it would have.

I was passing another car so I didn't look at my speed and don't know how fast I was actually going when he saw me. Of course I was speeding. Who doesn't on a 50 highway? That number is just pure BS.

The Clearview dragstrip:

Old 03-05-2015, 03:15 PM

802 posts, read 1,366,698 times
yes it is too low.
there are many roads now in NYC with even lower 20mph speed limit.

i was pulled over couple of weeks ago on Laurel hill blvd in queens theres cemeteries on both sides and BQE on top. there are no pedestrians whatsoever and only few cars driving on it. what im trying to say is that this vision zero is just BS. its not for safety its for adding more money to city budget. cops choose places and hide with radars where they know everyone is driving more than 25. driving 25mph on empty straight road is almost impossible. if its for safety i wouldnt complain but when i feel like im being robbed by hiding cops who choose spots where everyone "speeds" its just not right.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:19 PM

802 posts, read 1,366,698 times
Im a driver and my family depends on my job. those cops dont care giving out tickets especially now every ticket comes with points and it dosnt take much to lose the license.
cop had a nerve to tell me that if he did the same thing he would get a ticket too. what a joke. i see cops driving without the seatbelt while on the phone and running red lights for no reason. even off duty cops driving their private vehicle get away with everything. when i say everything i mean EVERYTHING. even DUI.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:22 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Low yes, except in snowy weather when the idiots think it's sunny and 75 degrees.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:55 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,561 times
There are roads where a low speed limit is reasonable and roads where it isn't. The NJ turnpike near NYC is 45mph (in theory, traffic goes 70), and that's absurd as it has good sight lines, no major curves, long ramps, etc. The Pulaski Skyway is also 45mph, and that's quite reasonable even if still disobeyed, given the short blind ramps, narrow lanes, and sharp shifts in the road.

In most rural areas out west, I do not see the purpose of a speed limit. For that matter, even if you did go off the road....there's nothing there to hit. And even some of the rural interstates in my home region of the Northeast, like I-88, and I-86/17 have long swaths where the speed limit could be vastly higher.

The one thing the more rural Northeast often does okay at is 2-lane rural state route speeds. NYS and Vermont pretty much post everything at 55mph, which is usually reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive