Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 11:27 AM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I had no idea there was a push button automatic transmission back in the 50s. Here's what it looked like:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-co...lymouth-01.jpg
I thought “push button” transmission is sort of half way between manual and automatic. The buttons in this picture are no different than a shifter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 11:30 AM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
Get me that timing light.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:18 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,421,207 times
How about... my car is in the shop, for a valve lash adjustment ... And to have the front wheel bearings re-packed. And to add some distilled water to the battery. And to get the clutch throw out bearing replaced. And to have the generator brushes replaced. And to have the oil bath air cleaner serviced. And to have the hypoid fluid level in the rear axle housing checked, and topped up with SAE 90.

All things that the current younger group has no clue about.

I think that a high school course on basic auto service, and how a car works, would be a good use of education dollars. How many Americans do you know who are adult drivers, but have no clue about how their car actually works ....And they are being ripped off because they don`t know the basics .......

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:21 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,670,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
How about... my car is in the shop, for a valve lash adjustment ... And to have the front wheel bearings re-packed. And to add some distilled water to the battery. And to get the clutch throw out bearing replaced. And to have the generator brushes replaced. And to have the oil bath air cleaner serviced. And to have the hypoid fluid level in the rear axle housing checked, and topped up with SAE 90.

All things that the current younger group has no clue about.

I think that a high school course on basic auto service, and how a car works, would be a good use of education dollars. How many Americans do you know who are adult drivers, but have no clue about how their car actually works ....And they are being ripped off because they don`t know the basics .......

Jim B. In Toronto.
No need to. Just use YouTube. Seriously.

Old 03-07-2015, 01:53 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,404,183 times
shift on the fly and locking hubs

My old CJ you had to go in dirt and turn hubs to engage four wheel drive.

Then it was you could engage it while sitting still inside vehicle.

then shift on the fly you could switch to four wheel drive while driving

Now it is all automated.

Freon AC

Old 03-07-2015, 01:54 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,404,183 times
Neutral Drops

Donuts

Fish Tails

Bootleggers Turn

All stuff you cant do in new cars.

Bias Belted Tires

White Walls

Snow Tires

Studded Snow tires

Tire Chains

Old 03-07-2015, 02:00 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Carb rebuild and tune. Seat covers for new car.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:11 PM

6,459 posts, read 4,849,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
OMG! 5 years ago I had my car into the shop for a timing belt etc. It's a dealer I work at. I had NO idea cars aren't timed with a light anymore until the tech went to borrow a light from one of the "old guys". Had I known I would've brought my own lol

I still write LOF (lube, oil, filter) in my notes when I get an oil change. My ball joints do have a lube port.

Sandyjet - some of us do still use studded snows. So much better than all-seasons, which I feel are a compromise between summer and snow tires. Ya, they do the job but real summers and real snows do it so much better.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:25 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,001,532 times
Quote:
And don't forget to set the points gap and dwell...."Get me that timing light, dwell meter and a matchbook cover!". And some three in one oil to lube up the timing advance weights while in there...

Old 03-07-2015, 02:36 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,539,420 times
Quote:
I thought “push button” transmission is sort of half way between manual and automatic. The buttons in this picture are no different than a shifter.
Not all button panels where alike. Some had "R" "D" "P" and "L" Basic "Torqueflite" Automatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive