Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:52 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times

Advertisements

These new lights are too damn bright! To the point where if I'm on a dark and winding road I have to suddenly slow down or stop because I can't see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 03:14 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,755 times
DW's Lexus RX has self leveling headlights. I don't think these they can be aimed. I hope these Smart headlights spare the eyes of oncoming drivers are not too expensive so they become mainstream. (there was another link that I couldn't find that is a demo of a current production model.)

Old 03-08-2015, 04:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
These new lights are too damn bright! To the point where if I'm on a dark and winding road I have to suddenly slow down or stop because I can't see.
Agree 100%. I've accidentally flashed people who I thought had their brights on. Not only are they annoying and dangerous, but bluish light causes some sort of degeneration of the eye and can lead to loss of vision.

As much as I hate new laws and regulations, I hate stupid people even more. If the makers don't stop selling cars with lights like this, it should be against the law to have them. If you can't see, then slow the _)*(& down. High beams are not the answer. And neither are these evil new super bright headlights.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
In our part of the country, if you look in a parking lot as I did the other day at a parking lot nearly 2/3rds of the vehicles were either full size 4X4 pickups mostly with 4 doors, or large SUVs. Small ones are not very popular here. My wife and I have a 2012 Explorer with the optional high output headlights, a 1999 Blazer my wife's run around town car, and a 2006 F-150 pickup. I have no problem, as these vehicles sit higher than the small cars so many own in cities. However as their headlights are mounted higher in the air even when they are properly adjusted, they are going to be high for small cars when they get close.

Our headlights are all adjusted to be legal, but will make some people hurting from the lights especially when they get close to our vehicle. We can't just aim them so low, that no one would ever be blinded, as we have to be able to see far enough ahead to keep from hitting deer, antelope, elk, and even on occasion a buffalo that is in the highway. Driving in wild animal country without the ability to see ahead enough to keep from hitting an animal at 70 miles to 80 miles an hour, would be very dangerous.

You people from cities, etc., see our vehicles as the problem. We in the unpopulated west, see the problem is you drive such low slung cars that it is impossible to turn the lights downwards to the point you will never be blinded by our lights especially out where there is rolling land. We don't blind each other, we just blind those tiny city cars.

There is a difference of opinion. You think we should all drive low slung cars and our bigger higher setting vehicles are the problem. We think everyone should drive full size vehicles, for safety. When you are out on interstate highways at night in the winter, we often need our type vehicles to get through with heavy cleat snow tires and studs to handle icy patches. I have pulled many a small 2 wheel car back onto the road, when they have slid off. Especially on 2 lane highways with the closest small town being 50 miles away, and no cell phone service available to call for help. I simply cannot leave people setting out there with the risk of dying, so I carry a couple of super strong tow straps to help people.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:47 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
I live on a ranch in the unpopulated West, ten miles from pavement, and usually drive a Focus. We have three of them, actually.
I think you might be over-generalizing just a bit lol

Old 03-08-2015, 09:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
I live on a ranch in the unpopulated West, ten miles from pavement, and usually drive a Focus. We have three of them, actually.
I think you might be over-generalizing just a bit lol
If you live 10 miles from pavement and drive a focus in the west, you are not in a snow zone. One good storm, and you would be snowed in and unable to get through the snow which covers most of the west and mountain states.

Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Much of the west is semi-arid...
Again, I think you're overgeneralizing a tad.

(Though I can get through a mediocre snow of 6-8" without issue)

Old 03-09-2015, 04:02 PM

3,787 posts, read 2,694,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
In our part of the country, if you look in a parking lot as I did the other day at a parking lot nearly 2/3rds of the vehicles were either full size 4X4 pickups mostly with 4 doors, or large SUVs. Small ones are not very popular here. My wife and I have a 2012 Explorer with the optional high output headlights, a 1999 Blazer my wife's run around town car, and a 2006 F-150 pickup. I have no problem, as these vehicles sit higher than the small cars so many own in cities. However as their headlights are mounted higher in the air even when they are properly adjusted, they are going to be high for small cars when they get close.

Our headlights are all adjusted to be legal, but will make some people hurting from the lights especially when they get close to our vehicle. We can't just aim them so low, that no one would ever be blinded, as we have to be able to see far enough ahead to keep from hitting deer, antelope, elk, and even on occasion a buffalo that is in the highway. Driving in wild animal country without the ability to see ahead enough to keep from hitting an animal at 70 miles to 80 miles an hour, would be very dangerous.

You people from cities, etc., see our vehicles as the problem. We in the unpopulated west, see the problem is you drive such low slung cars that it is impossible to turn the lights downwards to the point you will never be blinded by our lights especially out where there is rolling land. We don't blind each other, we just blind those tiny city cars.

There is a difference of opinion. You think we should all drive low slung cars and our bigger higher setting vehicles are the problem. We think everyone should drive full size vehicles, for safety. When you are out on interstate highways at night in the winter, we often need our type vehicles to get through with heavy cleat snow tires and studs to handle icy patches. I have pulled many a small 2 wheel car back onto the road, when they have slid off. Especially on 2 lane highways with the closest small town being 50 miles away, and no cell phone service available to call for help. I simply cannot leave people setting out there with the risk of dying, so I carry a couple of super strong tow straps to help people.
Well, you say your lights are aimed legally, so that is something if true. But if you have to adjust them higher than legal so you can see deer, antelope, elk, and buffalo, then you are driving too fast and/or not using your high beams appropriately.

I think it is a poor idea to encourage everyone to drive oversize vehicles which get poor fuel economy, given the limited resources of our nation and our world, even in the name of "safety". And I have seen more than a few people driving large vehicles who were clearly unqualified to do so based on their driving and parking skills. Many people in smaller cars would be a heck of a lot safer if people who really have no business driving a big vehicle weren't driving a big vehicle.

To shirk responsibility for the consequences of your choices and blame other drivers is a symptom of what is wrong with America: too few people looking out for the common good, and taking responsibility to do their part to make our society better. Instead, you seem to say why not blame the other guy? I'd expect better from someone in independent minded western America. And that's my difference of opinion from you, sir. Respectfully.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:09 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
The biggest problem is people installing HID bulbs into regular halogen projectors. HID lights come with self levelers and automatically adjust to ensure that the lights don't blind oncoming traffic. If people slam the bulb into a regular housing, you get all that light, and no adjustment for aim, and if it happens to be an older truck, even worse, as the lights are that much higher.

I have few problems with stock LED/HID lights. 99% of the issues come from people who have installed the wrong bulb into their vehicle.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejello View Post
Ugh this happened to me again on my way home tonight, and this time it was even worse. I met an oncoming car on the highway, and when we met we both had our high beams on, and then we both turned our high beams off. This car gets about 30ft from me and then flashes his brights right at me. He saw me turn my brights off so he should know they're not on. What gives? I'm starting to think the problem isn't the brightness of my headlights but the brightness of people on the road. Am I the only one experiencing this?

They don't have a bluish tint to them like those "silverstar" headlights I see on the road all the time. They do seem brighter white than your average headlights, though. I'm starting to think at my next service check I should ask about getting different bulbs put in or something. This is starting to get ridiculous having people blind me with their high beams at close range every night.
Halogen lights are downright blinding, even on low beam. They are flashing you because:

1. They cant see a thing hardly.
2. They think they cant see a thing because you are driving on high beam.
3. They dont care WHAT is blinding them, they want to return the favor.
4. It is also a way to signal there are police laying in wait for speeders up ahead of you, but if thats the case, they dont leave the highbeams on, they just flash them.

Those lights are so deadly, Im surprised they havent been removed from the market yet. I first encountered them on a 2 lane windy mountain road in PA one night, and I honestly dont know how we didnt crash.

I hear people complain about them when they are behind you waiting at a light too. They still manage to blind them reflecting in the windshield and mirrors. Its a good idea to change them out if you can. It will probably clear up most of the problem you are having.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive