Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,395 times

Advertisements

This discussion has just barely stayed on the car side. :P

If you're gonna go to college and get a degree, make sure you have a plan for post-baccalaureate life. Plenty of kids graduate with a bachelor's not knowing what to do with it or (also likely) not wanting to go into the career fields that their degree affords them.

Otherwise, if you're going into entrepreneurship or a trade, make sure you have a plan for it. Meaning, don't open a typewriter repair shop in 2015 and expect the money to fall into your lap.

Either way, you better have a plan.

If it's right for you, the luxury car will come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:44 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
There are many people who make +$70,000/year and drive cheap cars because they spend their money to buy houses, and there are people who make little money who drive luxury cars and live in apartments.
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?

It's about priorities. People with degrees are more likely to drive a more safe, economical car. I notice Volvos and Subarus are very popular among college educated people.

Home ownership is also important to people with degrees. Sometimes a car loan prevents one from getting a first time portage. They also may have college loans.

My other thought, many people who drive flashy, "luxury cars" today, lease them.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 PM

101 posts, read 176,412 times
I'm waiting for people to quote me on this,

Quote:
Now I think that everyone without a college degree can make $100,000/year.

Let look at people with no degree, you are only talk about those who can make $100,000/year, what about those who can't make $100K/year?

I know you(1) are sucessful, but what about the other ~440,000 people or less who work at mcDonald? making burgers
McDonald's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 AM

555 posts, read 804,118 times
Quote:
There are many people who make +$70,000/year and drive cheap cars because they spend their money to buy houses, and there are people who make little money who drive luxury cars and live in apartments.
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?
I imagine they pay with cash or take out a loan, like everyone else.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:37 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,287,217 times
Quote:
I'm waiting for people to quote me on this,
How do you know they are buying NEW luxury cars? You sound like youre ignorant of car types and models anyhow, so you wprobbaly dont' know how much a car cost a person just by looking at it.

You also haven't proven that there are any, or even a lot of, people that fit your category of McDonalds workers making minumum wage and driving new luxury cars. So until you DO that, we're going to think you're full of it.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:52 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
How do you know they are buying NEW luxury cars? You sound like youre ignorant of car types and models anyhow, so you wprobbaly dont' know how much a car cost a person just by looking at it.

You also haven't proven that there are any, or even a lot of, people that fit your category of McDonalds workers making minumum wage and driving new luxury cars. So until you DO that, we're going to think you're full of it.
I agree he is full of it, who cares what people drive maybe he is jelous that someone without a degree has a new cadillac This guy is just trolling and asking the stupidest questions ever. If he wants to know go to the inner city of Chicago and ask people how they can buy a luxery car with no degree, and see how fast he gets the snot beat out of him.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:54 AM

804 posts, read 1,075,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
My wife works in bank mgmt, and has said she noticed something similar. Some of their most problematic members are those who have a high income but simply overextended themselves. The more money people make, the more they spend, and they can still be check to check. To be fair though, she had no way of knowing if they had other accounts at other institutions so it's possible she isn't seeing the complete picture.

To the OP, it's definitely possible. First, no outrageous school loan to pay back! That right there can be a couple luxury car payments each month, if not a mortgage payment. Except for certain highly specialized or skilled fields, let's be honest: a degree simply isn't necessary, but the problem is in the US employers now require one anyway for even the most menial of entry level jobs. In decades past, those without a degree were given a more fair shake to 'make it'. Now, without a degree, you are at a severe disadvantage starting out in the working world because everyone and their dog has a degree.

yup 100% right there. I worked at a credit union. 1st day of the month they had many thousands of dollars before the end of the month they would almost be down to nothing. I once worked for a computer store. This lady came in to apply for a credit card and she told us that she made 30,000 a month. We all got quite a laugh when she got denied credit.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM

101 posts, read 176,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

You sound like you haven't read 20 posts above that post.

People are not talking about cars on this thread anymore. They are trying to prove that people without a college degree can make $100k/year. I agree there are people who are making $100k/year without a Bachelor degree.

I asked them how many of of US population can make $100k/year without a Bachelor degree, and no one was able to answer this question. The real numbers is too low. We have to look at the big picture.
"People with degrees are more like to make more money than people without a degree". You can't go wrong with statistics.

Source:Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

Old 03-12-2015, 01:03 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
You sound like you haven't read 20 posts above that post.

People are not talking about cars on this thread anymore. They are trying to prove that people without a college degree can make $100k/year. I agree there are people who are making $100k/year without a Bachelor degree.

I asked them how many of of US population can make $100k/year without a Bachelor degree, and no one was able to answer this question. The real numbers is too low. We have to look at the big picture.
"People with degrees are more like to make more money than people without a degree". You can't go wrong with statistics.

Source:Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

No, you can't go wrong with statistics. Everyone seems to know one person who earns over 100K and only has trade school or a HS diploma and drives a luxury car.

In the future, we will be seeing less of that. But yes, there are a few. For most entry level jobs a BA is needed - management, education, sales, insurance, and many state or government jobs.
People with "just a HS diploma" and a few months of trade school may initially earn more money. Over time, they do not. And, many options are automatically closed to them.

A car, in the scheme of things is probably one of the worst investments on earth. It only depreciates with time. Insurance on luxury vehicles is always higher.

I happen to love nice cars, but that's a fact.

Again I stress that it's a matter of priorities. The average student loan debt is 25K.

Is that a better investment than a 45K car?

Let's see...a lifetime of making more money or a car that lasts ten years.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:23 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
Quote:
The main question is How people make ton of money without a high degree? drug selling?
The vast majority of people don't sell drugs. Believe it or not, there are a lot of hard working people out there who work hard for what they want in an honest way. A college degree don't always guarantee financial success and luxury cars shouldn't be a thing of people with degrees. The people who sells these cars don't car about your degree, they sell them to anyone who can make the payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive