Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:59 PM

823 posts, read 1,125,799 times

Advertisements

In Miami, where the illusion of money is important to many, it's not uncommon to see a 3 bedroom home, with a Mercedes, a couple of BMWs, a Porsche, an Audi and maybe even a Maserati all parked on the front grass. All the cars are leased to young, 20 somethings who only care that they appear wealthy. They share the 3 bedroom and have converted the garage to a bedroom. They're splitting the rent 6 ways and are living paycheck to paycheck. But they do have that luxury car so they look wealthy, even though that car is costing them 60% of their earnings every month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:37 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
So, if your husband had a 4 years degree, he could have made twice as much now???
just because someone has a college degree doesnt mean they know anything. experience is a much better teacher than your college professors i can tell you.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
just because someone has a college degree doesnt mean they know anything. experience is a much better teacher than your college professors i can tell you.
College professors pass on/provide experience as well...

What's different between college and private sector is what you'll learn. You're not going to learn skills of an electrician in college. But you'll learn skills of a physicist who works with electricity. Both make great money.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:01 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
There are many people who make +$70,000/year and drive cheap cars because they spend their money to buy houses, and there are people who make little money who drive luxury cars and live in apartments.
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?
You do not need a degree to finance yourself into the ground. All you need is a lack of common sense. No degree program for that.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?
What makes you think you need a degree to make money? FYI you can save hug amounts of money if you know how to fix things yourself. I recently had starter installed on my car, this is something I would typically do myself. $300.... could of did it myself for less than $100.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:03 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
College professors pass on/provide experience as well...

What's different between college and private sector is what you'll learn. You're not going to learn skills of an electrician in college. But you'll learn skills of a physicist who works with electricity. Both make great money.
you can learn a lot in college, but it is in the real world where you put that knowledge to work. but there is a huge difference between book learning, and real world experience. for instance after i got my degree in automotive technology, i thought i understood automobiles, until i went racing. it was then that i realized that while i had a good base, i still had a lot to learn. try rebuilding an automatic transmission in the dark of the night without the proper tools so you can make the next round in the 1 1/2 hours allotted. its then that you learn your skills.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
.... without the proper tools ....
That's actually a really good point even if you have the tools. It's those little tricks of the trade you accumulate with experience that can make a world of difference.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:06 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
Anyone can get a degree today. Most don't even have to attend a school, they do it on line and let google do all the work for them.
Look at a lot of pro athlete's who drop out of school to play pro sports and make millions and drive Lamborghini's etal.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
you can learn a lot in college, but it is in the real world where you put that knowledge to work. but there is a huge difference between book learning, and real world experience. for instance after i got my degree in automotive technology, i thought i understood automobiles, until i went racing. it was then that i realized that while i had a good base, i still had a lot to learn. try rebuilding an automatic transmission in the dark of the night without the proper tools so you can make the next round in the 1 1/2 hours allotted. its then that you learn your skills.
I don't really follow you think that college isn't the real world. Yes, you spend about 15% of college learning from a textbook. However, you spend 85% of it learning from reading case studies, proposing real-world solutions, interfacing with the best of the best in your field, and integrating knowledge and practice in the industry. It's not like you high school where all your learning is from a classroom, reading texts and taking exams. You're interfacing with top scientists, technologists, etc. (depending on the field) and applying what you learned to actual work in the industry.

There's also a difference in learning a trade such as automotive technology from a trade school and getting a college education. A trade school, as you experienced, will provide you with the fundamentals and a little practice just enough to prepare you to enter the trade as an entry level individual. However, with the completion of college, you are an expert in the field. That's why it takes 8+ years. One or two years with fundamentals and the rest is experience and research.

People go to college for different reasons than why they might go to a trade school. In both cases, after 8 years, you're never going to be as experienced as someone who has 30 years in the industry. But you'll generally be as experienced as another person with 8 years in the industry.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:16 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,811,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Anyone can get a degree today. Most don't even have to attend a school, they do it on line and let google do all the work for them.
Look at a lot of pro athlete's who drop out of school to play pro sports and make millions and drive Lamborghini's etal.
Sure, anyone can get a degree from Penn State U. and the alike because they have been extremely watered down. But they can't get a good degree. We have to differentiate between your typical ASU degree and a CMU degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive