Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I'm using the BMW 7 series for this example:

1. They buy it used with a lot of miles but good paint job. You don't even need good credit or high income for this method!! The 2015 750LI is a $103K car BUT you can buy 08 model with 83K miles for only $20k. Meaning even with bad credit and more then double the interest rate of the national average you would pay only $386/month for 60 month

Cars for Sale: 2008 BMW 750Li in Carrollton, GA 30117: Sedan Details - 394683505 - AutoTrader.com

Or if your really poor you can buy a 07 model with 169K miles for $13K or $251 a month.

Cars for Sale: 2007 BMW 750Li in Roswell, GA 30076: Sedan Details - 393993258 - AutoTrader.com

So as you can see, morons with money to burn can attain "luxury" status. That is until these cars break down and they have crazy repair bills.

2. They have good credit and lease a sub $100K model of a brand new car. A 2015 740i costs $80K. Which translates to $1350 a month for 60 months if you purchase it outright and have good credit. BUT you can lease it for just $769 a month. Do you think there are morons out there that have a take home of only $2K that will do this? Trust me there are many! They will basically destroy their financial future to look like a "baller."

So as you can see, even a supposed high priced model car can be had by someone with an extremely low income if they choose. So imagine how easy it is for anyone with money to waste to be able to afford lower model luxury cars like a BMW 3 series, Mercedes E class, Lexus IS etc.
Correct.

I've owned three Cadillacs, a Mercedes, a BMW, a Jag and a Saab.
And I don't have a degree. They were all used, in very good condition.
Most luxury cars depreciate very hard. They don't have to have high miles, either.
All of my cars had under 70K miles on them and cost less than $15K.

My wife's current car is a 2005 MB C320 4Matic. Bought it with 58K miles on it for $12.5K.
Most people don't know anything about cars and think it's much newer than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
There are many people who make +$70,000/year and drive cheap cars because they spend their money to buy houses, and there are people who make little money who drive luxury cars and live in apartments.
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?
From your writing style, I am going to assume that you are not a native English speaker. And I assume that you are from a country/culture where people have long been "ranked" according to their proficiency as grade-grubbers. There are certainly countries where the educated elites/party elites see it as their prerogative to exploit/subjugate those without degrees and party affiliations.

Well this is America, where people still can make money DOING THINGS, rather than by exploiting/enslaving/robbing others. That's why America is still so phenomenally wealthy and productive.

I know one couple, who married as FOURTEEN-year-olds (Texas), who ended up as magnamillionaires in Petroleum Exploration (he's German, and smart, and can DO things with equipment). I know another couple, Swedish Jews from America's Southwest, who crawled out of the wreckage of their family's implosion (dysfunction, inheritance taxes, enormous contributions to Israel & holocaust victims), left home as penniless seventeen-year-olds, and were millionaires by the time she got her community college 'art degree'. He never completed high school. He started as a day laborer in construction. She worked odd jobs in Graphic Design, then started a little rag of a 'Dollar saver' type paper, then several little rags of magazines. On weekends, they remodeled their homes, which they flipped. The kids grew up working on Mom's publications after-school, then remodeling progressively larger houses, on weekends. The husband started a niche construction company. Then he became a builder/developer. His only education came from what he was able to read, before falling asleep at night, and reading while others were driving. Now, he is the 'Money Man' behind developments in the billion-Dollar range. The wife finally sold her little publishing empire for a good bit of change, and has gone on to something much bigger. One son (A Doctor of Economics) does nothing but oversee the various instruments he has established, for managing/multiplying the wealth his parents have created. The parents are rather scatterbrained and extravagant. This son has to make sense of it all (as he started doing around age ten), and divert the money toward investment. He has a library in each of the family's homes. Mostly, he flies to Beverly Hills or Cap Ferrat, locks himself in the library, and works twelve-hour days, every day he is not in-transit, calling, buying, selling, teleconferencing with his NYC staff - in the offices which do nothing but manage the extended family's assets... THAT is how much money a person without a degree CAN make. Oh... and I've seen what lurks in the garages of that family's homes. Great-Grandmothers' Fifties/Sixties limousines from "before the implosion", restored at the direction of the asset-managing son; oldish Rolls Royces bought USED, for peanuts, after Ford ate Volvo (they, like most everybody who mattered, drove battered Volvos, as long as Swedes owned the company). New Maybach/Rolls, to be replaced regularly... And nothing sporty.

Now, lets consider people who are NOT blond and brilliant and beautiful and motivated. How could THEY drive luxury cars?

Actually, it can be slightly cheaper to own a modest home, than to rent an apartment. Some of those homes are owned by couples, where both partners work. And maybe 'Mom' (who has an income) lives in the "Mother-in-law Suite" (they call such layouts "Mother-in-law Plans"). Three incomes, and a modestly-priced house, mean that you can do pretty well: particularly if there are no children.

So, let's take a theoretical look at such a household. 'Mama', who is widowed and has nothing but Social Security, has about $1,200.00 coming in, per month. 'Cody', the young husband, makes twelve Dollars an hour, working in an auto parts store. 'Brandi', Cody's wife, makes eight Dollars an hour, as low-ranking employee in a nursing home. The house was built in '65, and is in a modest neighborhood, in a town which has not been too badly ravaged by Diversity - yet. In other words, its a place where decent people can still afford a decent home. Maybe Mama owns the home, or maybe Cody & Brandi bought it, as 18-year-old newlyweds, with Brandi's Grammaw's life insurance money as a hefty down-payment. The mortgage note is about $1,000.

So, Mama brings in $1,200. Brandi brings in $1,280. Cody brings in $1,600. That's $4,080 a month. Yes, there are taxes, but Mama takes in ironing, Cody mows lawns on days-off, and Brandi babysits a couple of days a month. Their combined income is around fifty thousand Dollars a year, before their incidental labor is included. That's about the national average. (we'll assume that the two thou Mama makes ironing, the four thou Cody makes mowing, and the two thou Brandi makes babysitting, pretty much take care of their low-bracket income tax bill). Mortgage is twelve thousand. Taxes on the house are two thousand. Maintenance is about two thousand. Insurance is two thousand.

Mama finds out that Miz Jenkins from church is going into the nursing home, and buys her pristine-always-garaged 2001 Lincoln Towncar, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqMyoGdBBMA, for FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS 2001 Lincoln Town Car Price Range - Used & New - Motor Trend Magazine Mama had been saving up her ironing money for a few years, and just pays cash. Insurance isn't much, for a four thousand Dollar car.

Cody has broad shoulders and a major lump in his Levis, and Brandi, while no beauty, is passably-pretty. This makes them attractive to Bob & Lana, who are very discreet swingers. Bob is the Football Coach at the local college, and thus one of the richest men in town. He's really interested in Cody, who was a Football Standout in high school, and a major star in the showers. But the existence of Brandi and Lana make all of this OK. And since Cody and Brandi are nice, church-going non-smokers/non-drinkers/non-druggies, they really are worth cultivating. So, Bob gives Cody a really sweet deal, about what he would get in a trade-in, on his 2005 Land Rover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMKJuKgRRsU, which Cody, like his Mama, buys with SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, cash 2005 Land Rover LR3 Price Range - Used & New - Motor Trend Magazine, from his lawn-mowing money. The Land Rover looks pretty new, and has 110,000 miles. The (expensive) wheel bearings will give out around 200,000 miles. But, since Cody lives near work, that will be at least five years into the future.

Lana is starting to "think of Brandi as a little sister" - someone trustworthy to house-sit, while Lana jets off to Aspen, and Bob and Cody are "out at the cabin, hunting and fishing". Lana is ready for something new, and so gives "her little sister" a super-sweet-deal on her 2002 Jaguar XK coupe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eyLuLPwebM. Which she lets-go for a thousand or so below trade-value 2002 Jaguar XK-Series Price Range - Used & New - Motor Trend Magazine at SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS, with the tacit understanding that she'll be getting free house-sitting, and that Brandi will keep her lips zipped on the subject of Bob & Cody. You pay for discretion. Cody helps Brandi with the money to buy the 'Jag'.

Between the three of them, Mama, Cody, and Brandi, will drive about twenty five thousand miles per year. At a high thirty cents per mile, for maintenance and repairs, that's 7,500 per year. Insurance will be another three thousand. Ad tags, etc, and what... eleven thousand? Out of a discretionary income of twenty thousand? Mama is a thrifty cook, and so groceries and household products are just four thousand a year. They don't do anything expensive. They don't have many clothes, and what few they have are cheap. They watch free TV, instead of cable. They don't eat out. I'm seeing them as still, with three new-looking luxury cars, having enough left over to put a couple of thousand Dollars into savings, every year.

Housing 20,000
Cars upkeep 8,000
Groceries 4,000
Clothes 2,000
That leaves around 16,000 for "other", depending on taxes (which are mostly displaced by the side-jobs), and medical, which is mostly covered by Medicare & work insurance.

And I wouldn't leave you without a happy ending, so:
Mama, in her flashy Lincoln, catches the eye of the 'young man-of-color' she used to secretly carry-on with, out in the woods, when they were teenagers. In his whole life, she's been the only one capable of handling what he's got to offer. And now, with interracial marriage being normal and all, they rekindle their relationship. Turns out, he's become a megachurch preacher with a diverse congregation, and pulls in hundreds of thousands a year. A white wife is the ticket to expanding the congregation into a stadium-sized edifice, her hair color is perfect for TV. They marry, and live happily ever after. Mama gets furs and Bentleys, from now on.

Brandi pulls up to the nursing home in that black Jag, and the supervisors figure she's well-connected. Suddenly, she looks like a winner, and so she's promoted to 'supervisor' (with the understanding she'll enroll at the local Junior College, and get some certification of some sort).

Cody's been working-out with Coach in the college's Fitness Complex. With a bubble-butt AND those yard-wide shoulders - and with that fab Land Rover, he's looking good to his bosses. Coach Bob has been giving Cody the clothing he's outgrown (Oxxford blazers, Luciano Barbera Sport http://www.lucianobarbera.it/dnn/home ... really high-end stuff, as well as buying new items for 'his manly protege' at the best places: http://circle7online.com/ ) Coaches tend to take in big money for fixing games, and so there's plenty to buy nice things good buddies. Cody's bosses at the auto-parts store know a winner when they see one, degree or no degree, and make Cody the REGIONAL sales-whatever. His salary triples.

And, since this is still (for the time being) America, things like this really do happen, all the time, for ordinary people who work hard and know how to behave themselves.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-09-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
Heck... even I could buy a slightly used Ferrari...
Just gotta move back into my parent's basement tho

Old 03-09-2015, 10:54 AM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
Heck... even I could buy a slightly used Ferrari...
Just gotta move back into my parent's basement tho
Fix it up nice enough would that be so bad? Thomas Magnum lived in the guesthouse and drove a Ferrari.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:59 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
There are many people who make +$70,000/year and drive cheap cars because they spend their money to buy houses, and there are people who make little money who drive luxury cars and live in apartments.
How people with no degree buy luxury cars? and have enough money to maintain their vehicles?
Quite the funny post, implying that no degree equals no money. I know many non degreed individuals that make well over $100k...

Old 03-09-2015, 11:10 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Buying a luxury car is not a big deal, it's the upkeep. A lot of people buy/lease cars with ridiculous rates.

Such as having a 80+ month car loan just to make the monthly look appealing?

Old 03-09-2015, 11:45 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Some of the older luxury cars are not that expensive to maintain. Not much more than a used Accord or Camry, in fact. I know, as I've owned them as inexpensive used cars, and will so again. But I own them because i LIKE them, not because I'm trying to impress someone by driving a 13 year old luxury car.

My last one:

Cost me about $1500 in repairs over a 5 year ownership period, and that was mostly because I bought it with 143k miles on it and no service records, so I did some preventative repairs right after buying it (which is part of that $1500 cost).
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Correct.

I've owned three Cadillacs, a Mercedes, a BMW, a Jag and a Saab.
And I don't have a degree. They were all used, in very good condition.
Most luxury cars depreciate very hard. They don't have to have high miles, either.
All of my cars had under 70K miles on them and cost less than $15K.

My wife's current car is a 2005 MB C320 4Matic. Bought it with 58K miles on it for $12.5K.
Most people don't know anything about cars and think it's much newer than it is.
Just wanted to clarify the point of my post because I don't want to offend anyone. I wasn't referring to people like the two of you in my post. The reasons you guys bought your car makes sense and is an intelligent decision. Its completely acceptable to buy a cheap used older luxury vehicle as long as you can afford it.

In my post I was referring to the pretenders who can barely afford even the used car who overextend their budget to impress people. Think of the guy who brings home $1500 and has a $350 car payment, living pay check to paycheck with no emergency fund. For those people even a $400 repair bill is a catastrophe.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
This is the craziest question I've seen on CD. If you've got the money, you can own a luxury car. I have an Ivy League degree and could not go out and buy one at the drop of a hat, but I have a relative who is an electrician who could do so quite easily. It should also be noted neither one of us would want to do so.

I used to date a mechanic who lived hand to mouth. If he wanted to, he could have pulled a luxury car out of the junkyard for a song and had it running reasonably well the next week.He had buddies who worked a loading dock who drove around in a used BMW. Nobody was dealing.

As noted, I've got a degree from a pretty prestigious institution, but that doesn't mean much when it comes to income. I have a successful career in that I am respected in my field and I find my work rewarding and that the paycheck meets my needs. However, I also know quite a few people in blue collar careers who make far more than I do. And I know a lot of struggling college grads who didn't study the right thing or didn't have a plan when they went to college.

This is sooo not something that should be on the automotive board.

Old 03-09-2015, 11:50 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:

Skilled tradesman !!!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Quite the funny post, implying that no degree equals no money. I know many non degreed individuals that make well over $100k...
Sounds like the OP is bitter because his degree isn't getting him the nice things he thinks he's intitled to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive