Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:32 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard "mats and flaps" in about 10 years.
Now they are called floor liners and splash guards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
I don't go into dealerships for any reason. Haven't been inside of an auto dealership in 10 years. Yep. Since 2005. Bought all of my cars since then off of individuals. they have all been pretty good cars, knock on wood.

one thing I doubt gets asked anymore is for chrome. People just do that themselves. Usually with disgusting results.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:25 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
how about:

" you can have this car built to your exact specifications and it will be delivered in a proximately 6 weeks"
Your post brings back fond memories that had to do with my new 1957 Ford convertible.
I graduated from high school in june of 56, and in late August , I got a sneak peak at the new 57 Fords.
I ordered a Fairlane 500 convertible.

I wanted a color that wasn't offered by Ford, because I had picked it out of a Good Housekeeping magazine that my mom had.
The color was a dark, dark purple.
I brought that page from the magazine to the dealer the day I ordered the car, and told them I wanted the lower body in the dark purple,to match the drapes in the magazine picture, and the upper body Ford colonial white, and a black top.
Their response was "not sure, let me find out if we can do it".

The car was delivered (and I do mean delivered) to my house in just over 6 weeks, looking exactly as I wanted it.
Try that in today's dealerships, and they will laugh while telling you , you must be crazy.
Being only sixteen, the car was purchased with cash, in my dad's name, then he transferred the title over to me.
Back then dealerships did everything they could to satisfy a customer.

Bob.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,566,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Your post brings back fond memories that had to do with my new 1957 Ford convertible.
I graduated from high school in june of 56, and in late August , I got a sneak peak at the new 57 Fords.
I ordered a Fairlane 500 convertible.

I wanted a color that wasn't offered by Ford, because I had picked it out of a Good Housekeeping magazine that my mom had.
The color was a dark, dark purple.
I brought that page from the magazine to the dealer the day I ordered the car, and told them I wanted the lower body in the dark purple,to match the drapes in the magazine picture, and the upper body Ford colonial white, and a black top.
Their response was "not sure, let me find out if we can do it".

The car was delivered (and I do mean delivered) to my house in just over 6 weeks, looking exactly as I wanted it.
Try that in today's dealerships, and they will laugh while telling you , you must be crazy.
Being only sixteen, the car was purchased with cash, in my dad's name, then he transferred the title over to me.
Back then dealerships did everything they could to satisfy a customer.

Bob.
That's a good story CALGUY. My father in law has told me of his 70 Mustang he ordered in 1969, and all of the combos you could do with the engine and transmission. must have been a fun time to order a car!

I know that business is all about efficiency and profit. nothing else matters now. sad sort of. But also, we get 25mpg out of something that gets 300hp. that's pretty nice!

Old 03-10-2015, 01:29 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,365,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
How about passenger side mirror.

I believe some cars back in the day only came with a driver side mirror. The passenger side was an "upgrade"
I had a 78 Caprice like that, only had the drivers side mirror.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
"we're here to make you happy"

Old 03-10-2015, 01:48 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
"we're here to make you happy"
No... they still lie

Old 03-10-2015, 01:53 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times
I really miss those winged vent windows on the front doors that would allow you to let the wind blow straight at you when you were driving.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:01 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I don't go into dealerships for any reason. Haven't been inside of an auto dealership in 10 years. Yep. Since 2005. Bought all of my cars since then off of individuals. they have all been pretty good cars, knock on wood.

one thing I doubt gets asked anymore is for chrome. People just do that themselves. Usually with disgusting results.
Chrome is kind of out. I plastidip most of my chrome (front grill and snow tire rims)

Old 03-10-2015, 02:07 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I really miss those winged vent windows on the front doors that would allow you to let the wind blow straight at you when you were driving.
I miss the vents in the kick panels more than those. You could keep reasonable cool without AC on the highway by opening those kick panel vents and cracking the rear windows maybe an inch without a bunch of road noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive