Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM

906 posts, read 1,767,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Anyone ever though of using something like a GoPro (older version so it's cheaper)? Figure it would give me multiple uses rather than just a dashcam. Of course, you'd need to remember to bring it into your car, turn it on, etc. And also remember to take it out so it's not stolen.
Sort of defeats the purpose of a dash cam--install it and forget it. A GoPro would be at very high risk of getting stolen.

The price range has to do more with features than anything else. Most of the cameras around $100 are more than ample. If you really want GPS, larger screens, wifi-access, etc. you can pay more. I see no reason to buy a $300 dash cam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,633 times
Not have one yet, but thinking about getting G1W-C from G1W-C Full HD Car DVR Camera - Gearbest Car Gadgets, did anynoe know about it? Good?

Old 07-07-2015, 04:44 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Mini 0806...really like it !

Old 07-07-2015, 09:30 AM

205 posts, read 334,225 times
Recently ordered one and is on its way

SQdeal 2.7 inch - cheap and small, as long as it works i am fine

Old 07-07-2015, 11:18 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
I have 2. In each car I drive.
Before we go that route, you can set either Android or I phone as dash cam. Thing is, you need to mount them sturdy and then good luck answering phone calls same time. Unless you buy a cheapo large display used phone off craigslist and set it as dash cam - but then a dash dash cam is cheaper to buy.

Reason I have dash cams is very simple. I spent about 3 hrs a given day commuting, sometimes much more. I encounter all kinds of morons do all kinds of stuff. In country obsessed with law suites as a quick money maker, MY safety and protection comes first. That's why.

I have a regular front view wide angle DC and another one that has 2 cameras, one of them being rear mount, on trunk lid. I see NO point in those DCs that have both F and R cameras in single unit, as then all you see the R one capturing is your passengers faces or rear seats and upholstery. You need that cam for rear end collisions, right? Guess where it needs to be mounted then? Unfortunately, there are not too many choices in this respect. One I have is TINY display and R view is PIP so it's even tinier. You can switch to full screen R view but full screen is about large stamp size with font 1. But!! It does work fine and records all license plates etc from vehicles behind you. Mirror image, of course, but it does work. Also, rear one is water proof and does pretty good at night. Front one for some reason is much less functional at night. I think, it's because IRDs are mounted behind the windshield and have too far out to shine for any effect.
I used footage from one of my DCs not so long ago, when I was rear ended. Attorney requested it right away.
Oh, and watch your mouths. Nothing is worse than sending video to your attorney/possibly court hearing - with a bunch of F and S words on it.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:34 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I have 2. In each car I drive.
Before we go that route, you can set either Android or I phone as dash cam. Thing is, you need to mount them sturdy and then good luck answering phone calls same time. Unless you buy a cheapo large display used phone off craigslist and set it as dash cam - but then a dash dash cam is cheaper to buy.
I tried using Dailyroads Voyager app on a spare Android phone and it was a lot of trouble setting it up to record every time. Obviously I don't want to leave it on the dash and then because of battery life it needed a cord. So I'm plugging into the car, and the bottom of the phone, then mounting it in the holder and fiddling with proper positioning. Then when I get to my destination just a few minutes later it's all the reverse. For daily use, I'd advise against it and just spend money on something that can be mounted full time, records when the car is on, and with no wire. Still looking for a good solution, because power is always an issue.

Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,222,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Oh, and watch your mouths. Nothing is worse than sending video to your attorney/possibly court hearing - with a bunch of F and S words on it.
I keep mine on mute, I see no reason for recording my conversations.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:31 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
https://dashcamtalk.com/

Old 07-07-2015, 07:09 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I keep mine on mute, I see no reason for recording my conversations.
Audio is useful if you're in an accident, and the other person becomes verbally abusive or threatening.

Just don't talk about poisoning your boss or similar sensitive topics, and you'll be OK.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
I have been using my Go-Pro for long trips but it can be a pain. Researching dash cams now and hope to find the right one before my next road trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive