Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 07:19 PM

597 posts, read 666,749 times

Advertisements

It's something I ALWAYS wanted in a car, and I still think if you're just LOOKING at cars as impressive pieces of art/machinery, it looks better (especially those caramel browns in some luxury cars). And it's not that I would never get leather or that I don't like it, but it's simply no longer a priority. I wouldn't jump up a trim level just for leather. I do like the leather(or synthetic leather)/cloth combo seats that you see now.

Last edited by goillini8; 09-23-2016 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 07:42 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Going forward, I'd love to have leather. Never had it. The reason for me, is that I love my rat terrier, who sheds buckets of little stickery white hairs that stick like porcupine quills in cloth. Even the fake leather seat covers have stretchy fabric around the edges, so you can put them over the seats - and they're all covered with little stickery white dog hairs.

I've washed them, tried the rubber glove technique to no avail.

They do get hot, too. Even the fake leather ones. I keep a towel in the truck to cover the seats for the dog and me, if they get too hot in the sun.

But, just for the ability to clean them easily, to me, they'd be worth it.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:58 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,922 times
You don't want it.... until you have it.

Then you understand.

No synthetic is as comfortable as genuine leather.

It breathes better, shed moisture better, and is generally much more comfortable.

To say nothing about being more durable.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:12 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
No big deal for me... it just so happens the makes with the V6 engine pretty much had leather in them... I can go either way on the leather. I know it's a big deal to some people. To each their own.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:12 PM

597 posts, read 666,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
You don't want it.... until you have it.

Then you understand.

No synthetic is as comfortable as genuine leather.

It breathes better, shed moisture better, and is generally much more comfortable.

To say nothing about being more durable.
Maybe that's true. I've never had it. Closest is my current car with leatherette/cloth combo. I always primarily wanted it for looks, so "leather" would include "leatherette"; synthetics. I guess I never stopped to consider the performance difference between top quality real leather and its synthetic counterparts. Since I don't see myself getting out of the 22-35k price range for vehicles any time soon, I'm not sure real leather would be an option.

I have driven plenty of cars with nice leather interiors (not my own), and again, I liked them - nothing against it. It's just no longer a goal like it used to be. Maybe because so much of it in my price range is black/dark gray, which to me is "meh." Caramel or "saddle" brown makes me perk up a bit more.

Last edited by goillini8; 09-23-2016 at 08:34 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
i have leather seats in my grand marquis, they are comfortable, but they are slick. i prefer a material that will help hold me in place. a cloth insert would be a great addition to the seats i have now, perhaps when recover time comes we shall see. other than that the leather is great. it doesnt get as hot as vinyl does in the summer, and it cools down almost as quickly as cloth. i havent had the car in the cold yet, so i dont know how it work in the winter.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
De gustibus non disputandum est. Leather is great. A bit cold winter time but seat heaters are for that.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:32 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
We have two cars with very nice, and comfortable leather seats. The soft to touch leather in my wife's Lincoln makes those buckets as comfortable as a lounge chair in your living room, while being properly supportive. They are not slick, hold you in place well, and so far are wearing like iron. No sags, stretches, wear, or cracks.

My Charger has red and black Nappa leather seats. The leather is also pretty high grade in feel compared to a lot of cars, but not as soft as that Lincoln. They do boast heating, and ventilated cooling which is awesome on hot days. (Who wouldn't like a cool breeze up your butt on a hot afternoon?)

I have never felt that leather was too hot or too cold to the touch in temperature extremes. At least, leather of any kind of decent quality level.

It's also pretty easy to clean up spills from my daughter.

Cloth just shows wear and age too fast for me. I have had cars with 30K miles, and the cloth seats are obviously warn and shabby. No thanks.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:12 AM

730 posts, read 1,657,558 times
I guess I will have to be the contrarian here.

I have owned several cars with leather and believe this or not, I prefer cloth.

Leather is hot in the summer, cold in the winter - cloth is not.

Leather dries out, cracks, and shows wear readily, cloth does not.

Leather requires conditioning and maintenance, cloth does not.

Leather allows you to slide around in your seat, cloth does not.

Leather is expensive, cloth is not.

Yes, leather looks great, but that's where I think the benefit begins and ends.

Just my opinion....

Old 09-24-2016, 07:55 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
I have had both, like most. I prefer leather. If you take care of it, it holds up well.

I think we can all agree that vinyl is the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive