Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:23 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I have started using coatings. I use CarPro CQuartz but there are others. Applied it last summer and is still beading. They state it should last two years so we'll see

But very important to get car swirl free as possible so you can "lock" in the paint
Just looked it up. Very reasonable price if it does what it says.

CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection, CQuartz nano coating, nano paint sealant

Do you sporadically wax over it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
Just looked it up. Very reasonable price if it does what it says.

CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection, CQuartz nano coating, nano paint sealant

Do you sporadically wax over it?
No, it replaces a wax. It is very hydrophobic. You can use CarPro Reload occasionally to top it though

Old 03-18-2015, 06:29 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Can't go wrong with Zaino.
I agree. Been using Zaino since the late 90's when I got my first Corvette. Been using it since on other Corvettes and then Jeeps, Hummers, Silverados and getting ready in the next week to do my new 2215 Silverado.
Lasts a long time, great finish, you can layer (most polishes take off the previous coat, Zaino does not) and you can do it in sunlight. (Did it when I lived in TN and UT; states noted for sunlight.)

Old 03-18-2015, 12:57 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
Porter Cable 7424. I have had many black cars and the PC orbital buffer is a must have. Before I got one my cars looked good, but after I got it the paint was incredible looked like a car in Forza or GT that is to say almost unrealistically clear and scratch free. The Wax dosen't really matter in my opinion. It's the motion and quickness of the applicator. I have used everything from Mercedes official Zymol to Zaino to Pepboys store bought Meguiars and gotten the same results. Also, do not skimp on the cloth get high grade cloths from adams or another specialty store. I only waxed every 3 months and because it was AZ all I would do is dust it with a good quality micro cloth and it was just a pretty as the day I waxed it.

Last edited by AndyAMG; 03-18-2015 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: boy, life is tough without spell check

Old 03-18-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I agree. Been using Zaino since the late 90's when I got my first Corvette. Been using it since on other Corvettes and then Jeeps, Hummers, Silverados and getting ready in the next week to do my new 2215 Silverado.
Lasts a long time, great finish, you can layer (most polishes take off the previous coat, Zaino does not) and you can do it in sunlight. (Did it when I lived in TN and UT; states noted for sunlight.)
So does the Z-5 polish really work on swirls? And if it does, then get the car swirl free and layer Z-2 right?

Order would be wash, clay bar, Z-5, Z-2 and done?

Z-6 in between washes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Porter Cable 7424. I have had many black cars and the PC orbital buffer is a must have. Before I got one my cars looked good, but after I got it the paint was incredible looked like a car in Forza or GT that is to say almost unrealistically clear and scratch free. The Wax dosen't really matter in my opinion. It's the motion and quickness of the applicator. I have used everything from Mercedes official Zymol to Zaino to Pepboys store bought Meguiars and gotten the same results. Also, do not skimp on the cloth get high grade cloths from adams or another specialty store. I only waxed every 3 months and because it was AZ all I would do is dust it with a good quality micro cloth and it was just a pretty as the day I waxed it.
Yea that would be the polisher I would be getting. I saw the Adams towels and while expensive, they look downright soft! I would probably pick up a few for the paint for sure.

So "dusting" in between washes with just a Microfiber won't cause scratches? Or do you spray detail spray first to decrease the chance of swirls when dusting?

Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM

PC 7424 is tried and true. Honestly the Harbor Freight polisher is pretty good. Can be had for around $50 with coupons. I'm sure most major cities has a local Harbor Freight. And on top of that they sell Meguiars M105/M205 polishes. Those are higher end Meguiars products usually only found online.

As far as microfibers, don't purchase the ones from Walmart or Costco. Order from The Rag Company
16 x 16 DETAIL MASTER PRO Eagle Edgeless Blue

I know they are a bit more expensive, but just buy 5 or 10 and it brings per unit cost down a bit. When I first received this and compared to the cheap Walmart ones they are night and day. Take the towel and roll it across your hand. Good towels won't "grab" your hands. They will roll smoothly across your hand. This one does exactly that.

UPDATE: It's been raining since last night and my car is still beading like the day I applied the CQuartz coating last July. So still holding up. Even the windows are still beading. CQuartz can be applied to most surfaces: paint, windows, plastic, rubber. It doesn't stain or leave a chalky residue.

Last edited by IShootNikon; 03-19-2015 at 08:51 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
PC 7424 is tried and true. Honestly the Harbor Freight polisher is pretty good. Can be had for around $50 with coupons. I'm sure most major cities has a local Harbor Freight. And on top of that they sell Meguiars M105/M205 polishes. Those are higher end Meguiars products usually only found online.

As far as microfibers, don't purchase the ones from Walmart or Costco. Order from The Rag Company
16 x 16 DETAIL MASTER PRO Eagle Edgeless Blue

I know they are a bit more expensive, but just buy 5 or 10 and it brings per unit cost down a bit. When I first received this and compared to the cheap Walmart ones they are night and day. Take the towel and roll it across your hand. Good towels won't "grab" your hands. They will roll smoothly across your hand. This one does exactly that.

UPDATE: It's been raining since last night and my car is still beading like the day I applied the CQuartz coating last July. So still holding up. Even the windows are still beading. CQuartz can be applied to most surfaces: paint, windows, plastic, rubber. It doesn't stain or leave a chalky residue.
You talking about this one?

6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher

Great link on the rag company. I hadn't seen that before. I might get those instead of the Adams as they are a bit cheaper and look just as good.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
You talking about this one?

6 in. 5.7 Amp Heavy Duty Dual Action Variable Speed Polisher

Great link on the rag company. I hadn't seen that before. I might get those instead of the Adams as they are a bit cheaper and look just as good.
Yes, that's the one. Got mine for around $50 with coupon

Old 04-04-2015, 06:36 PM

Welp, she's arriving late this week. Might be time to put my order into Amazon for some car care products.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:02 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
To avoid swirls or get rid of them, use corn starch or baby powder when polishing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive