Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 8,655 times

Advertisements

My sister is gifting me her old car. We do qualify for a family member transfer of ownership, here's some of the policy details from the DMV's website:

You can see that the Use Tax is exempt for ALL family member transfers EXCEPT between siblings who are not minors ... neither my sister or I are a minor.

I'm wondering, what would be better? To just pay the Use Tax, and get to avoid having to re-smog the vehicle, or buy it for $1.

I'm from understanding all of the dynamics and which would be better, and I'm hoping someone who is could share their knowledge and experience ... thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are Transfer Requirements Different Between Family Members?

Yes. This information outlines the differences between a regular transfer and a family member transfer.

What Is a Family Member Transfer?

A "family transfer" is when ownership is transferred to or from a:

spouse
parent
child
grandparent
grandchild
siblings
domestic partner
How Is a Family Member Transfer Different from a Regular Transfer?

There are three primary differences between regular transfers and family member transfers:

1. A regular transfer requires smog certification in most cases before the vehicle can be registered in the new owner's name. A family member transfer does not require smog certification (See Smog Certification section) if the vehicle is currently registered and the biennial smog inspection is not due.

2. On a regular transfer, use tax based on the purchase price of the vehicle is due at the time of transfer. A family transfer is exempt from use tax with the exception of a transfer between siblings who are not minors. Transfers between siblings are exempt from smog certification regardless of age, unless a biennial smog is required.

3. A regular transfer requires the department to reestablish the vehicle value (reclassify) to determine the appropriate Vehicle License Fee due. The license fee is based on the purchase price or current market value of the vehicle. A transfer between family members is exempt from reclassification of the vehicle value.

To establish eligibility for the use tax or reclassification exemption, be sure to let the department know that this is a family member transfer.

What Do I Need to Do for a Family Transfer?

The DMV will require:

The California Certificate of Title properly signed or endorsed on Line 1 by the registered owner(s) shown on the title. You will need to complete the new owner information on the back of the title and sign it.
A Statement of Facts (REG 256) for use tax and smog exemption, if applicable.
Transfer fee.
Odometer disclosure for vehicles less than 10 years old. Refer to Odometer Mileage Reporting.
Additional fees, such as registration fees, may also be due.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 03:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Just do a gift since its family members, You shouldn't have to pay anything more than a transfer fee and maybe the registration if it's within two months of being due. The $1 thing won't fly.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:00 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Just do a gift since its family members, You shouldn't have to pay anything more than a transfer fee and maybe the registration if it's within two months of being due. The $1 thing won't fly.
Agree. If the Fair Market Value of the car is less than $14k, the person giving you the car won't have to pay any gift tax.

Don't do the $1 deal. That's a red flag.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,655 times
Alright, thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive