Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times

Advertisements

The B&D and the Stanley are probably the same device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 11:44 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,305,846 times
I have had several of these battery boxes and they are great to have. My personal favorite are the thinner units that have the heavy duty guage cables and a simple guage for checking current.

The more you use it the more you have to charge it and the shorter the life span will be.

I just picked up a peak 900 amp last winter and it does a bunch of fancy things which is nice but, it doesn't have the heavy duty gauge cables that I prefer.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:11 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
I have a buddy who repairs welders and he made me a set of cables from welding cable and ground clamps. They are the best jump cables I have ever had and will start any car as they flow some hot juice. I have been offered $100 for them but no way.
I would think any welder repair facility can do the same for around $50 and they are worth it. They will last two lifetimes.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I have a buddy who repairs welders and he made me a set of cables from welding cable and ground clamps. They are the best jump cables I have ever had and will start any car as they flow some hot juice. I have been offered $100 for them but no way.
I would think any welder repair facility can do the same for around $50 and they are worth it. They will last two lifetimes.
I have a heavy duty pair of jumper cables as well and they are the best. I used them to start my Ford e350 truck the other day that didn't have a battery in it. The peak jumper could only get the starter to barely crank.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:13 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
I'm waiting on some real reviews on something like this.

Glove Box Car Jump Starter @ Sharper Image

Old 03-22-2015, 05:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Could it work? Certainly, especially with a smaller car that doesn't require a lot of power to turn over. The expense of these things is largely dictated by the size of the battery in them. The larger and more expensive ones are going to have more amps and reserve power.

Do you feel lucky punk?

Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 PM

749 posts, read 920,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Once started it should recharge itself. Is there reason you know it's dead, did you leave the lights on or something? If it's just dead for no reason you probably have a bad battery or alternator and at best charging it will be very temporary solution.

You can just get a pair of jumper cables and ask a friend for a jump. They might be $5 or $10 for cheap set. That's where to start becsue it's cheapest. Take it to a garage and have them test the battery/alternator for you.

As far as battery chargers you can get simple trickle charger for about $20 to $30. You'll need to put it on the battery at least overnight.
I went away for two months, but I did not use the truck, and before that I had used a trickle charger, and I charged the battery prior to my leaving. When I came back, the battery started up with no problems, but I took it to an auto shop to be checked, and this is what they found:

___ EXP ___DECISION__
GOOD RECHARGE
Voltage 12.32 U
Measured 446 CCA
Rated 640 CCA
Temperature 61 F

Recommend charging battery, prior to full system test with EXP-1200.
Battery meets or exceeds industry specifications, but is low on charge.

The battery is a few years' old. I was thinking that, if I buy a charger, I can charge it before I leave the next time, and will have no problems upon my return, and even if it does not start, I can recharge it.

Do you think I need a new battery? My trickle charger burnt out, the last time I used it on this battery, maybe be because I left it on it too long?

Thank you,

Old 03-23-2015, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Could it work? Certainly, especially with a smaller car that doesn't require a lot of power to turn over. The expense of these things is largely dictated by the size of the battery in them. The larger and more expensive ones are going to have more amps and reserve power.

Do you feel lucky punk?
It doesn't work.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:06 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,969,949 times
Buy a GOOD battery tender. A good one will last a long time. the better ones sense when the battery is low and keep it charged among other things. I use them on my Motorcycles and lawn equipment for winter storage. as with anything in life, buy a quality piece and have it for a long time. Hit up your auto parts store for advice on models or go online.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:16 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
It doesn't work.
The one I saw was 200 CCA. Doesn't seem much to run through the assc plug/lighter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive