Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 10:18 PM

308 posts, read 499,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Discount Tire actually puts the tire pressure they put in right on the receipt. Now whether that matches what is actually in the tires is up for debate. But seeing as it is a point of emphasis I figure it is probably pretty accurate.
This is true. I have been to Discount tire for my cars a few times recently. Every time they have very good service. I'm also very anal about my air pressure. I checked my tires each time, and they have been on point to what the car manufacturer recommends. They also used a torque wrench, I was watching them at the window. I checked the lug nuts when I got home and they were torqued correctly.

I didn't have good experience with them years ago. I used to think they were all useless idiots but I gave them another chance. I gotta give them kudos now, they proved me wrong the last few times I have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 08:56 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Yeah Discount Tire is one of the few chains where I really haven't had a bad experience.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:33 AM

42 posts, read 81,398 times
This may sound silly, but Walmart, of all places, always get the tire pressure correct when I get an oil change.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Does any car repair place other than the Dealer put the correct tire pressure in the tires when you get them repalced?
Yes.

Old 03-26-2015, 02:25 PM

459 posts, read 619,714 times
Call me childish, but this made me LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
I'm also very anal about my air pressure.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:35 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Another thing to consider: How did you get to the tire place, or service center? You drove, right? Obviously or how would you get replacement tires put on?

And what happens when you drive? Tire pressures go up depending on distance & speeds driven, as well as time of day.

So when new tires are installed, assuming OEM spec size, it would be prudent for the techs to put in, maybe, +3-5psi extra in your new tires, so that early the next day, when they have cooled down overnight, they will at least be closer pressure to what is listed on the b-pillar sticker of your vehicle.

However, if they are inflating your new tires to the cold max pressure stamped on the tires themselves - typically 44-51psi for passenger tires, I would take issue with that. Bring your own gauge, check the pressures against the door placard yourself. Hey: you just paid for new tires - start caring for your investment at the get-go! Just remember to leave in a few extra psi for the ride home.

An anecdote: When we have company, I often check their tire pressures for them. I'm an enthusiast, y'know? lol. What do I find on a friends car? As many tire pressures as there are tires!! 47 in one corner, 28 in another, 33 on the other side, and so on! What a hot mess!

So I locate the correct inflation info - on the b-pillar, in the glove box etc. And then I reset all four tires to about 4psi above those stickers(remember, some guests drove from 20 miles away), then test drive the car myself. Sometimes a car needs an alignment, or a steering wheel is crooked, but most of the time the car drives like a glove. And my friends reaction? "I never knew they were all that far off!".

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 07-13-2018 at 06:45 PM..

Old 07-13-2018, 08:22 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
This phenomena is very common here in Texas and it doesn't matter where you take your car. And yes the lug nuts will also be overtightened too.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:15 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
This phenomena is very common here in Texas and it doesn't matter where you take your car. And yes the lug nuts will also be overtightened too.
Which phenom - inflating tires to max on the rubber itself?

Occasionally that will happen, in truck/LT applications, where the vehicle mfg. recommends a cold pressure = to the max on the tire. Our church 3500 van comes to mind: F:45psi, R:85psi, cold. 85 is also max on those tires.

Max pressure is also recommended on most aircraft gear, as tire hysteresis is reduced at those pressures, critical esp. during landing, when tires experience the most sudden acceleration of the entire flight cycle.

But for ground vehicles, tire max is seldom necessary or required.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:23 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
My Audi dealer delivered my last new car with the tires overinflated by 12 PSI. I think that's the recommended recommended pressure for transport when it left Germany on a boat and my dealer never bothered to let the air out!
I suspect it prevents flat spots also......

Old 07-14-2018, 03:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times
Yeah the last 4-5 times I've bought new tires from a tire shop, they were always overinflated 5-10lbs cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive