Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 05:17 PM

320 posts, read 353,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
In Florida it seems brake lights are used instead!
That's because the old people are too afraid to move a hand off the steering wheel! LOL I'm joking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I have actually had people tell me they don't use them because they don't want to let other drivers know what they are going to do (:c onfused:)
Perhaps they need to be re-trained using Operant Conditioning. oooOOO PLease help them B.F. Skinner!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
I know I'd give tickets for my three pet peeves:
-- no turn signal
-- left hand turns where there are clearly multiple signs saying No Turns.
-- blocking traffic

How many times do you see people blocking a traffic lane just to talk to someone -- when they COULD have just pulled over because the curb was free/open.

I'd make cabs go around the block, instead of holding up lanes of through traffic. (In front of the convention center, they stick out into traffic, if the line is too long for them to get into the cut-out lanes for cabs, drop-offs and pick-ups. They just stick out blocking a traffic lane. Uh no buddy go around the block....but you can't just block a traffic lane.)

I DON"T care if people speed so I wouldn't give tickets for that.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Are you sure YOU haven’t done any of that? Never missed a turn signal, made abrupt lane changes, suddenly made a turn to grab a snack, speed, sped up to beat the red light? If your answer to all of the above is NO then we can talk.
I wouldn't post something like this if I didn't practice what I preach...

Old 03-31-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It is the law to use your turn signal when making a turn or lane change. It is also the law not to use your cell phone for texting while driving in San Antonio. You know who I see breaking both laws quite often? Police.

If even the police can not follow laws like this, how can you expect the rest of us to? SHM..
Police are above the law, didn't you get that memo? That's why they have computers to "text" on every time they get behind someone And it's much more safe!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:52 PM

756 posts, read 834,185 times
Angry Bad Drivers Suck And I Hate Them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sad, isn't it, Castaway?

Worse than NOT using a Turn Signal are those that flip their signal on about two feet before turning / changing lanes? Do they really feel a blink or two will do any good?

Also, I am always amazed at Cop Cars and Buses (City as well as School) turning without even the slightest hint of a turn signal. One would think they, if no one else, would be more aware of the need / importance of Turn Signals.
Quote:
Sad, isn't it, Castaway?
Worse than NOT using a Turn Signal are those that flip their signal on about two feet before turning / changing lanes? Do they really feel a blink or two will do any good?
I am guilty of this one. But it is only when I change lanes on the highway and I don't mean to do it on purpose and I check for traffic behind me before changing lanes. If there is traffic in the other lane at all I will just not change lanes and I will try to put distance between the car in front of me. and I can always try to avoid rush hour.

Quote:
Also, I am always amazed at Cop Cars and Buses (City as well as School) turning without even the slightest hint of a turn signal. One would think they, if no one else, would be more aware of the need / importance of Turn Signals.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
If you move into me because I'm so close to you that I'm on your side in your blind spot and you're actually cutting me off or pulling into me....then I WAIL on the horn. MOST people's instinct since they know THEY are the ones making the lane change into another's path ...WILL quickly move back over. The BLASTING horn scares the CRAP out of them and they instinctively retreat back into their lane.

There's tooting the horn, and then there wailing on it to blast it -- as in 'a crash is imminent- emergency." Most people just can tell from the sound of the horn.

I, for one am a VERY defensive -- yet ASSERTIVE driver -- I specifically do NOT allow open space in front of me just because of drivers like you. IF at all possible I DO NOT let people in front of me. And I'm successful more often than not. Can I keep EVERY CAR out? No. But if it's possible at all to make a person wait and stay out -- I do.

In DC -- I deal with cab drivers who will stop on a dime in the middle of a major street to pick up a fare....tourists who don't know where they're going -- and foreigners who let's just say "might have different driving habits" (how's that for being politically correct?) So I'm on my Ps and Qs most times. When I leave my door I'm ready to "bring it" to any driver who wants a piece of me.

So how can you be a responsible and defensive driver if you're constantly looking to "bring it" and tailgating other cars in an active attempt to block people from moving in front of you? That's far more unsafe than not using a turn signal.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
You do know that:
-- by law you're suppose to signal, it's not optional
Believe it or not, it is not the law in every state.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
I am guilty of this one. But it is only when I change lanes on the highway and I don't mean to do it on purpose and I check for traffic behind me before changing lanes. If there is traffic in the other lane at all I will just not change lanes and I will try to put distance between the car in front of me. and I can always try to avoid rush hour.

Gotta give you an "A" for conscientiousness

Old 03-31-2015, 10:25 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Or I can just not signal, squeeze in to an open spot, and move on with my day. If I am not signaling, how do you propose to do more to block me - use your spidey sense?
It's pretty easy to read other drivers intentions before they even turn on their turn signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive