Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:13 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Then you've never driven a truly manual transmission with paddle shifters and a clutch.

In fact, I think most of you are talking about the experience of driving a semi-automatic transmission, which is a completely different experience from driving a "true" manual flappy paddle transmission. The big difference is that the true manual transmission still has a clutch; you just shift with paddles instead of a stick (and you don't have to press a clutch pedal of course). Also, as with other "stick" manual transmissions, there's no "park."

I have flappy paddles on my Jaguar and its pretty much a joke so I never bother to use them. In fact, every automatic I've driven that has flappy paddles has been a joke. Basically, its because it is an automatic transmission at heart. That is completely different from my Maserati for example, which has a Ferrari F1 transmission. While it has an auto mode that it can be placed in, it is still a manual transmission with a (very expensive) clutch. In fact, I'm getting ready to spend over $4k to replace it later this month.

I've driven sticks off-and-on for over 30 years, and while I suppose shifting via a stick and depressing a clutch pedal is a more visceral experience, the driving experience itself is as good if not better with the F1 paddles because the car responds better and shifts faster than you could ever accomplish with the stick. I would imagine that's why Ferrari originally developed this shifting system for its Formula 1 race cars to begin with.
Wrong. I've driven enough automated manual transmissions to know I won't waste my money on one. It's the same thing as an automatic to me. I'm that detached from the car. I would still rather take public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 04:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that you're wrong.

As I've already written earlier on this thread, Ferrari's F1 transmission is a true manual transmission with a clutch. It just happens to shift gears using paddles instead of a stick.

You're making the same mistake that most everyone else on this thread has been making: You're equating a manual transmission that uses paddles with cars that have an automatic transmission, but also allow quasi-manual shifting via paddles.
The Ferrari transmission does not have a clutch pedal. Car magazines and auto enthusiasts do not consider it a manual. Some call it an automated manual. It will shift gears for you if you it to.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:33 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I have used the Lexus S mode mainly as a braking device. I agree, it is not like a regular manual. At least mine is on the gear shift and not those paddle things on the steering wheel.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:49 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
To me this is just the evolution of the motor vehicle. I wonder how many people said the same thing when power steering was introduced? What about power brakes along with disc brakes instead of 4 drums?

Don't get me wrong, driving with a manual is fun, but if they completely went away, I wouldn't be heart broken.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have never driven a "flappy paddle" shift car, and don't care to try one. Some things, like moose **** pie, I am confident I won't like and don't need to try.

Beyond the lack of engagement of the driver, I'm fairly certain these cars will wear out a clutch a lot faster than I do, since they are tuned to a smooth takeoff, rather than to conserve the clutch with a bit rougher but quicker engagement.

When taking off on level pavement in the Scirocco, I consider it a perfect takeoff if the alternator light just "winks" at me as I let the clutch out. I have over 200K on that clutch and it's not even 30% used up. Full disclosure though - I drive in a rural environment with probably 90% of the time being spent in 5th gear cruising.
The clutch packs on DCTs are designed to last the life of the car; they achieve this in part by using multi-plate clutch packs and in part by their simultaneous engagement/disengagement of the two clutches between shifts. That's how they're able to affect shifts so smoothly and rapidly at the same time. If you've worn out a clutch pack on a DCT, chances are you're either using launch control on a daily basis or you're running considerably more torque through the unit than it's rated for.

Quote:
Keep in mind that you're wrong.

As I've already written earlier on this thread, Ferrari's F1 transmission is a true manual transmission with a clutch. It just happens to shift gears using paddles instead of a stick.

You're making the same mistake that most everyone else on this thread has been making: You're equating a manual transmission that uses paddles with cars that have an automatic transmission, but also allow quasi-manual shifting via paddles.
Q: What do you call a transmission that selects its own gears?
A: An automatic transmission.

I don't care if it has a clutch and flywheel or a torque converter; I don't care if it has an option to let the driver select the shift points. If you can put it in "D" and go, it's an automatic. And that applies to every new Ferrari currently on the market.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:19 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
To me this is just the evolution of the motor vehicle. I wonder how many people said the same thing when power steering was introduced? What about power brakes along with disc brakes instead of 4 drums?
I have to disagree. Upgrade brakes, fuel injection, and various technological advances don't really change HOW you drive. They just make it safer, faster, more efficient, etc.

Driving a car with a clutch pedal and manual transmission is a lot more involved than an automatic, manumatic, or automated manual. It's a skill that's developed, and enjoyed, by many people who want a more engaged experience while driving.

So people lamenting the lack of manuals aren't in the boat as those who complain about disc brakes or other general vehicle improvements.

To answer the original question, flappy paddles (whether an auto or automated manual) nowhere near replicate the feel of driving a true manual transmission.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I actually prefer the sport shift I have in my automatic instead of paddle shifters. . .
Fortunately those in my car are fixed to the steering column and rather large so they're always within easy reach. Or if you prefer. For some reason I often find myself using the paddle to upshift and the shift lever to downshift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Short answer: No.

That said, I do find the dual clutch unit in Volkswagens, (Such as the GTI) to be rather entertaining to shift yourself. It is direct and immediate in it's shifts.

However, if they are paddles for a slushbox, you can keep them.
I agree, if the paddles on the sushbox are just a max gear limiter. But for performance cars with slushboxes that are programmed for the task and hold gears like a properly-programmed DCT, I think you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:17 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Nothing beats an honest-to-God shifter for driving enjoyment.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
NO, not even close. Might as well just have an automatic and forget that silly gimmick.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:17 AM

774 posts, read 2,382,272 times
I don't remember anyone complaining about technological advances like power steering, brakes, fuel injection, etc.

Automatic transmissions change the driving experience....and not in ways that many of us like.

I'm glad it's available ... and I'm fine that 90% of the public want it.

I don't...and those that don't should be able to have a voice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive