Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 04:24 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The Corolla or Civic would be your best buy. They are both ultra reliable, and will reward you with years of excellent service. Drive each and buy the one you like best. I did that, and decided on the Corolla.

^^^This. Corollas are incredibly reliable, sturdy cars. They also hold their value well, and are reasonable to insure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 AM

271 posts, read 446,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
$18k OTD for a new Civic? Yeah, not gonna happen.

And just because you're paying cash doesn't mean the dealer won't demand you fill out a credit application.
LoL - someone paying cash, and a dealer demanding anything? Hilarious.

Even if you only have 7-10K cash to buy a used car the consumer has the upper hand, always has always will. Neither sides have to come to a deal; however the dealer has much more to lose.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:23 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
$18k OTD for a new Civic? Yeah, not gonna happen.

And just because you're paying cash doesn't mean the dealer won't demand you fill out a credit application.
For a base lx model yes you could.

They can make you fill out a credit app all they want, it still wont effect the price of the car if someone is paying cash. The application is mainly used for tax purposes when paying cash for a car.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
I bought a 2014 Kia Forte in late 2013 and paid right at $20,000 for it. I've been very happy with it so far. It gets excellent gas mileage, is a joy to drive and is a real stunner. I get compliments on it all the time, even from people who are driving much more expensive vehicles. Plus, with Kia, you can get all the bells and whistles for less than you would pay for a base model from another manufacturer. I also love the 10-year/100,000 mile warranty. We travel a lot and have already put 76,000 miles on my car, and we haven't had a single problem with it yet. I'm telling you...try Kia! You'll get way more car for your money. Hyundai offers similar deals, but I personally like Kia's lineup better, although that is obviously a personal preference.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
LoL - someone paying cash, and a dealer demanding anything? Hilarious.

Even if you only have 7-10K cash to buy a used car the consumer has the upper hand, always has always will. Neither sides have to come to a deal; however the dealer has much more to lose.

Dealers these days do not want cash. They will try to talk you out of paying with cash. So no, a cash carrying consumer does not have the upper hand.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Dealers these days do not want cash. They will try to talk you out of paying with cash. So no, a cash carrying consumer does not have the upper hand.
Then go to another dealership. There will always be a dealership/salesman happy to accept a cash paying customer. Especially towards months end when they need to get their #'s up.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:35 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
For a base lx model yes you could.

They can make you fill out a credit app all they want, it still wont effect the price of the car if someone is paying cash. The application is mainly used for tax purposes when paying cash for a car.

No you can't. Even the LX with CVT (base) is $20k. For him to get it at $18k OTD he'd have to get $4k off. If you think you can get that much off a Civic you havent shopped for one. Even Truecar is only $1.5k off for my area with dozens of Honda dealers competing.

A relative was shopping for a new car recently and every single dealer he went to demanded that he fill out a credit application even tho he had a bank check in hand. When he refused they wouldn't budge and let him walk. After being to several dealers he reluctantly filled one out because no one would sell him a car without it. Yes, they ran his credit which lowered his FICO.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 AM

922 posts, read 1,149,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I was paying cash and the dealer demanded that I fill out a credit application citing The Patriot Act. Of course nothing in the law cites credit application being required for car purchase. Just another BS from dealers to run your credit for financing purposes.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I bought a 2014 Kia Forte
I also love the 10-year/100,000 mile warranty.

Did you actually read the warranty?

This is a marketing gimmick to get you to take car back to dealership for scheduled maintenance. This is where the dealership will make its money from your bank account.
Oh, of course you don't have to take car to dealership for routine maintenance, but you had better keep meticulous records - then go to dealership service department - and make sure that what you did meets KIA's standards for routine maintenance. And the 10 year/100,000 is not bumper to bumper. No, it doesn't cover everything. That is why those who actually read these warranties don't buy any KIA or Hyundai.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
No you can't. Even the LX with CVT (base) is $20k. For him to get it at $18k OTD he'd have to get $4k off. If you think you can get that much off a Civic you havent shopped for one. Even Truecar is only $1.5k off for my area with dozens of Honda dealers competing.

A relative was shopping for a new car recently and every single dealer he went to demanded that he fill out a credit application even tho he had a bank check in hand. When he refused they wouldn't budge and let him walk. After being to several dealers he reluctantly filled one out because no one would sell him a car without it. Yes, they ran his credit which lowered his FICO.
A base lx with the cvt starts at $19,290 before any discounts or incentives. Just checked the dealership where I got my 2014 Civic EX from, so I do know a little about shopping for a Civic. An lx manual starts at $18,490. On truecar they have the lx cvt model listed at $18,864.

The $20k+ price you keep quoting is MSRP. Only an idiot will pay MSRP if buying cash!

Last edited by louie0406; 04-06-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive