Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:41 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

I used to scoff at the folks who get inside their car while filling up on cold, windy days...but now I do too! I do try to remember to "ground" myself when getting out of the car so I don't blow anything up...ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 03:43 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
It is illegal to get back into your vehicle while the gasoline pump is operating.
The area I live in IF the employee notices you are not standing at the nozzle next to your vehicle the pump will be shut off inside the store and it will not be turned back on.
I'm not going to say you are wrong, but I would love to see a link to any law in any state that says this is illegal. I know it absolutely is not illegal in my neck of the woods, and I've never heard that law anywhere I've ever been, either. It very well could be the policy of the gas stations in your area.

Personally, I think the best way to pass time at the gas station while the pump is going is to people watch. My favorite thing to do in Vegas, too. Of course, if you are all alone at the gas station, that doesn't work so well. But I can't remember the last time that happened to me.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:57 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your prices are low because you have low gas taxes and the road quality to prove it.
Says the guy in QUEENS!!! I had to drive to LGA two or three times a week last winter. My poor car will never be the same.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:02 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What has this to do with your calling us stupid because we don't have self-serve? None of the climate issues bother you? You're in Texas, we aren't. Why would I be a smarter person if I stood in the cold and rain? I wasn't putting anyone or anyplace down, I like Houston, I spent 6 months there several years ago. Why the need to insult us? Low paying jobs are better than no jobs, and they aren't any lower than the wages in any other form of retail, they have benefits, etc. If we started self-serve tomorrow, it would still mean tens of thousands added to unemployment rolls, wouldn't it?

So if we have tens of thousands of jobs and still low gas prices (no, probably not as low as oil country itself, duh) why would we want to change it? Why do you call us stupid for not changing it? What would be the benefit to us?
Some people just get their rocks off being nasty behind the anonymity of their computer. I see he didn't insult people from Oregon, so he must have a bug up his ass about NJ for some reason.

And FYI, I paid $2.19 at Shell over the weekend. Shell in Houston is $2.24 todaybaccording to the site I just pulled up. Not much of a difference. States with oil refineries.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-07-2015 at 06:14 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 06:33 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Didn't know what forum to put this in.
We just finished a cold winter where I live and had a cold windy night at the gas pump yesterday.

So here is my question, one which may have plagued mankind since the invention of self serve at the pump.
On a cold windy day when you dont have your coat does your tank fill up faster if you watch the pump and the numbers go by or if you turn away and don't watch the pump?

Personally I find a combination is quickest but hey that's just me.
Big funnel, two gas pumps.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:17 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
there is a missed opportunity by not installing video poker machines or slots at the gas pumps

Old 04-07-2015, 10:33 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
it is common in my area that when it is below zero... we get out swipe the card put the pump in the tank.... get back in your running car with the heat on.... wait to hear the click. Then go out and quickly return pump to dispenser. Then go.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:10 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Where I live they do not have the little notches that allow you to leave the pump running.
I carry a pen cap in the car for that very reason. Just prop it under the handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6 View Post
He gave me a tip about pumping gas that I would like to pass on. He said towards the end of pumping your gas, lift the middle of the hose up to get the gas that would otherwise be left behind inside the hose. It's not much gas in there but some people like to get every drop they can.
Nice! I always do that too.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:15 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Just to help anchor the discussion:

Fuel taxes in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NJ is the second lowest behind Alaska.
Texas is low but is still 5.5 cents higher per gallon.

Shockingly, NY and PA are the two highest and are more than double NJ, an extra 35cents or so a gallon.

Wow. I knew they had some big fuel tax differences on the east coast but I did not realize it was so extreme.

The 6-7 cents a gallon difference between MO and KS is a big deal around here and that's nothing compared to that.

$5 difference on a fill-up is a lot and over the course of a year for a family using 1000 gallons that's over $350 in tax savings.

NJ is in the bottom three of just about every "road quality" ranking I've ever seen so I guess that's the trade-off. With the combination of heavy truck traffic, varied weather seasons (unlike Texas) and low fuel tax revenue it's not hard to imagine why.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:47 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Wow, why wouldn't you have a coat? And a hat, during a cold winter night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Big funnel, two gas pumps.
You think it can take both going through a narrow hole?

/zing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive