Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If any store required me to provide my SSN just to let me in, I'd refuse. If they made an issue out of it, I'd turn around and walk out. I have no interest in playing games and using someone else's SSN. A car dealership doesn't need your SSN regardless of the purchase amount, if you bring in your own financing. Been there, done that, refused to give it, still got the vehicle.
Just a small addendum. If you bring in your own check from your own financing. You aren't going to be able to go get $15,000 in cash from the local credit union and hand it to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 04:42 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
I never give any doctor or dentist my SSN. They don't need it and I don't give it. So far none have pushed the issue.
I had one doctor's office push the issue, it was just a standardized form they get from a stationary supply. So I made one up. As far as medical service goes it seems any doctor anymore just runs your insurance when you come in, so they know if you have coverage.

Quote:
I was asked, but declined. Someone finally agreed that I didn't need to give it since I wasn't financing there. There was no reason for them to have it. Same goes for doctors and dentists.
In NJ a SSN is need for DMV they ask for it on the registration application.

A lot of places just use standardized forms for stuff, probably drawn up before anyone ever thought of identity theft and the forms haven't been updated. How many times have you filled out a job application that wants to know where you went to grammar school and your areas of study there?

Old 04-22-2016, 05:11 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I had one doctor's office push the issue, it was just a standardized form they get from a stationary supply. So I made one up. As far as medical service goes it seems any doctor anymore just runs your insurance when you come in, so they know if you have coverage.

In NJ a SSN is need for DMV they ask for it on the registration application.

A lot of places just use standardized forms for stuff, probably drawn up before anyone ever thought of identity theft and the forms haven't been updated. How many times have you filled out a job application that wants to know where you went to grammar school and your areas of study there?

In Alaska either an Alaska driver's license number or your SSN is required. But not both.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 04-22-2016 at 05:22 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 05:24 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
Quote:
I never give any doctor or dentist my SSN. They don't need it and I don't give it. So far none have pushed the issue.
In the past 10 years I have not given any doctor of dentist my SSN. By federal law, no one can insist that you give them a SSN unless in some way it's associated with the government. Even the lawyers at my company sent a letter out that said that no business has a right to know your SSN.

I have had company insist on me giving them my SSN and they would not relent. I took my business elsewhere.

It was ether 20/20 or some other TV news magazine that found out that the biggest ID theft rings pay doctors and their office staff for there patient lists with SSN's

Old 04-22-2016, 05:47 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Car shopping does not show up on a credit report any more, that was changed because you may have 3-4 credit reports pulled before you make a deal. This is strictly the IRS reporting of a cash sale over $10,000, which is not required if you are giving them a check. Find another dealer. I went through this with one dealer and when I refused to give the SS number they caved.
I bought a car two years ago and it did show up on my credit report. They said they were going to pull my credit once and instead about 8 separate financial institutions pulled my credit, INCLUDING the credit union that I already had financing from. So they just sent out my SSN to a bunch of different banks.

This was after I told them I already had financing in place and they practically begged me to let them pull my credit so they could get me a better deal. In the end, the financing I already had approved was the best deal and I had a bunch of inquiries on my credit report. I will never let a dealership run my credit again.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
It was ether 20/20 or some other TV news magazine that found out that the biggest ID theft rings pay doctors and their office staff for there patient lists with SSN's
I've heard of doctors leaving a laptop in a taxi or something, a few years ago read about a clerk in a bank giving information to collection agencies, etc. I don't want to take the chance so I make one up, I guess next time I'll just use 123-45-6789.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive