Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:06 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times

Advertisements

One of the greatest things about diesels is you're not always filling up. A friend in the UK has a hybrid diesel, he says he does 200 miles on electric then 600 miles on one tank of diesel. Awesome.

can someone do the math and tell me what his $ per mile is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:38 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
One of the greatest things about diesels is you're not always filling up. A friend in the UK has a hybrid diesel, he says he does 200 miles on electric then 600 miles on one tank of diesel. Awesome.

can someone do the math and tell me what his $ per mile is....
I could if I knew how many gallons/liters of fuel he uses per tank.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The thing I like about the biodiesel guys is that they are proof that there are viable alternatives. They should have to pay more for regestration to make up for not paying fuel taxes tho
If the US took all the soybeans currently produced and made bio-diesel it would only off set petro fuel usage by @1.5 %. Theres just enough land in production to free this country from it's dependency on petfuels. Don't get me wrong... I've been advocateing (at the national leval) the use of B.D. for years but it along will ethonal won't help in the long run........

Old 01-17-2008, 10:46 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
I could if I knew how many gallons/liters of fuel he uses per tank.

The tank would be about 60 litres, 1 gallon is 3.78 litres I believe, so 15-16 gal?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:53 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
The tank would be about 60 litres, 1 gallon is 3.78 litres I believe, so 15-16 gal?
Then it would be 50 to 53 mpg.

Not bad, but a VW TDI will get 50mpg @ 60mph as is.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
If the US took all the soybeans currently produced and made bio-diesel it would only off set petro fuel usage by @1.5 %. Theres just enough land in production to free this country from it's dependency on petfuels. Don't get me wrong... I've been advocateing (at the national leval) the use of B.D. for years but it along will ethonal won't help in the long run........
Agreed. All of america's tillable land combined will not provide the biodiesel required. But that is not the only source. There has been promis in certain algea and sea plants. Dont get me wrong I doubt they are the answer either. The point is there is an answer waiting to be found. Instead of billions in foreign aid perhaps those billions should be directed and focused on renewable fuel sources.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Diesel are great. We currently own the last model year made of the VW passat diesel - 2005 maybe? can't remember. We love it, took it on vacation this year and averaged 50-something mpg highway.

Reasons people don't like it:

Diesel fuel cost at the pump, is more expensive (sometimes a lot more, sometimes a little more), although you go XX% farther on a gallon of diesel.

Also, the diesel not starting in the cold thing bugs people. We haven't had much of a problem until it gets below 0 - F. Then we have to plug in, although we had to install our own pan heater cause VW said we wouldn't need a block heater... (yeah right) we park outside though.

Also, the diesel engines are more expensive in initial outlay. Which evens out cause diesel engines last longer... but most people don't see that. They don't want to cough up extra $.

We have had numerous diesels over the years, MB and VW and currently own a ford exc. Maybe after some years, we will convert the passat over to biodiesel. Who knows?

There is a show on TV - natl. geographic channel - invention nation in which 3 duuudes from CA or somewhere drive around in a biodiesel bus and check out people's inventions that save energy or are made from renewable sources. it is a pretty cool show. They get their biodiesel from chinese restaurants.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:25 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Sorry - 45-48 mpg on the highway. Also they now have the golf and likely the jetta now in VW diesel out.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
I was just perusing the Ford site and found this:

Quote:
The Ford Ranger 4X4 XLT Crew Cab Pick-Up has got what it takes to tackle the big weekend with as much gusto as a hard day's work! With sedan like seating for five adults and a one tonne payload, you can go from carrying the boys and bricks, to carrying the family and bikes with ease. The 4x4 Crew Cab Pick Up features a 3.0L turbo diesel engine and all the 4WD capabilities you'd expect from a vehicle that's built Ford tough! The XLT model features front fog lamps, chrome exterior mirrors and door handles, a bedliner, sports bar and side steps as standard.
Sadly it is from Ford Australia....

Can't have a small diesel truck HERE in the USA.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
From the responses I cannot help but believe the US consumers are being worked over well for their money.

Seriously, if there was a small 4 door automobile of decent quality priced somewhere between 12k-20k new with diesel engine available in the US which achieved 45-48mpg on the highway - which also could be run on biodiesel and be turned into a Waste vegetable oil (WVO) vehicle... I'd go out and buy one today for myself and perhaps another one for my wife... absolutely. The technology is there... the market I bet is there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive