U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:41 PM

4,756 posts, read 6,538,114 times

Advertisements

Twice on my way home today, I encountered people who appeared to be perfectly comfortable driving the speed they were driving. As soon as I attempted to pass them, this seems to have somehow bothered them and they both sped up and tried to prevent me from getting in front of them.

I do not understand this!!!

I like to speed, but if someone wants to pass me, I am happy to let them by,

What makes people do this???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 10:43 PM

18,430 posts, read 20,188,256 times
Passive aggressive behavior. It's the control freak

Old 04-17-2015, 06:13 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 2,504,509 times
I thought about this a few times and I want to give them the benefit of the doubt... maybe they realized how slow they were going when you were trying to pass them?? IDK... it's annoying nonetheless.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:16 AM

2,600 posts, read 6,115,122 times
5 reasons people speed up when you try to pass them

5 reasons people speed up when you try to pass them | 2KnowMySelf

Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,319,567 times
I see this often - usually from someone in a pick-up truck, but also the occasional mini van. I don't get it either and its dangerous - you either slow down and then are stuck behind them or keep trying and end up passing them at 90 mph.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:15 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,585,839 times
Or worse, people that pass you and then slow down....

Old 04-17-2015, 07:18 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,539,424 times
This happens every time I'm towing my camper.....speed up to pass, just to have them drag race me.....I'll back down and pull back behind them, just to have them slow up and we do this all over again....the only difference, this time, I WILL COMPLETE THE PASS !!. Heck I had one time in traffic where the guy driving along side my camper tried squeezing it over one lane like it was a separate vehicle from mine.....just give it a little sway, and they back down

Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 AM

922 posts, read 827,015 times
Animal instinct. When an animal starts being chased, they run faster trying not to be caught. Or they are just huge A-holes.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:20 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,744,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Twice on my way home today, I encountered people who appeared to be perfectly comfortable driving the speed they were driving. As soon as I attempted to pass them, this seems to have somehow bothered them and they both sped up and tried to prevent me from getting in front of them.

I do not understand this!!!

I like to speed, but if someone wants to pass me, I am happy to let them by,

What makes people do this???
I am guessing having your vehicle in front of them would block their forward vision of what is transpiring further down the road and they believe it constitutes a safety hazard for them.

I do not care for when a large SUV with dark tinted windows(common in Miami) moves in front of me on the expressway. Same if it is a commercial truck which blocks forward vision.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:23 AM

526 posts, read 463,042 times
I see this daily on my commute to and back from downtown. Generally its some red neck in a pick up truck or yuppie in a beamer. If its the pick up truck guy generally i back down and accept it then glide in when i see the perfect move since i know this guy thinks the world is scared of his big bad truck. The yuppie however i will finish the move even if it invovles mildly cutting him off and him to hitting his breaks and give me the finger. I know deep down he is not going to let me hit his beamer so its really what he gets for not having common curtsy and trying to dick someone out. If people just simply let you pass they would not have this problem so basically its self induced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive