Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:07 PM

6,479 posts, read 6,112,813 times

Advertisements

The Lexus and Toyota are firmly 2000s vehicles, and at $24k and $26k cost more than my 2011 Accord (loaded with everything) did two years ago. (She was $22k) Only the most loaded models of 2008 RX350 and 2012 RAV4 are worth that much blue book value, and for that kind of money the vehicles are outdated. The RX design came out in the 2004 model year and the RAV4 in the 2006 model year. In fact both vehicles have had extensive redesigns since then. Don't get me wrong, the 2004-2009 Lexus RX and 2006-2012 Toyota RAV4 are good vehicles, but at the price point of over $20k you should be getting a more modern design. The Honda is more luxurious than the RAV4 and probably about on the same level as the Lexus. I've ridden in all three vehicles. Plus the factory warranty (although Hondas are VERY reliable) and the fact that the CR-V is much safer than the other two. The RX350 and RAV4's driver airbags bottomed out in the IIHS moderate overlap test, they did well but not perfect in that test. The CR-V aced the moderate overlap AND the rigorous new small overlap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,390,042 times
Subi Impreza or Honda Civic.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:28 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,952,000 times
I would go with the Toyota if you are financing it. If you have cash I would go with the Honda. Both the RAV4 and the CRV are pretty equally rated (we just went thru the same choices for our grown daughter's first car, needed an SUV for her job) and it was a toss up. She ended up with a CRV because it was the first one we found used that met her needs. But she would have gone for a RAV4 all things being equal. I should also mention that my husband is an ASE certified mechanic, we have owned quite a few Hondas, and they hold their value as well as being pretty low maintenance. The CRV is also safer, has better air bag ratings and crash test results than the RAV4, s that's something to consider.

I would not go with the Subaru because it has a timing belt (vs the Honda having a timing chain) and if it is not maintained properly you can take out the entire engine. So if you are not a car person I would go with the 4 cylinder Honda CRV (I think the new V6 has a belt).

Our daughter really likes her CRV though her's is about 10 years old now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive