Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 05:47 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times

Advertisements

The best was when Chevy sent cars to Latin America where Nova translates to "No Go".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
Chevrolet: Z28, Z71, ZR2, ZL1... used as a garnish to the model name, these all sound pretty cool, no? But yeah, they are, in actuallity exactly as you say, product codes. RPOs (Regular Production Option) found on the vehicle build sheet, a singular ingredient of the "recipe" for that vehicle in production.
Remember GM and all the other automakers don't use the terms like ZR1 or Z28 they use platform names like W platform or Y platform, when it comes to designing and building their cars or trucks. And yes when the car comes down the line the build sheet is hanging on the car so the line worker knows what part to put on.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The best was when Chevy sent cars to Latin America where Nova translates to "No Go".
I have heard this sooo many times that finally I said I have to check it out. I bet you haven’t, have you?According to Google, nova in Spanish means....wait for it...nova.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:17 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Why do you think GM closed olds and Pontiac and ford closed mercury the cars were the same as the other brands just different trim. But for some reason gmc and Chevy pickups still are hot sellers even though they are the same truck built on the same assembly line just different trim. Same as the caddilac escalade abd the gmc Yukon same truck different trim. People thinking the escalade is luxury when in reality it's just a Yukon. Same with fords expiration and Lincoln navigator same truck built on the same line just different trim.
All very good points but this is not the subject of this thread.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:00 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I always thought that 'escalade' was a made up word, kind of a cross between 'escalator' and 'marmalade' but it turns out that it's a real word referring to the setting of ladders & such to climb walls in a siege, so I actually like that, and find it creative.
Escalade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had an older relative who had a Pontiac Grand Prix and always Americanized the pronunciation to 'grand pricks.' Another relative had a '56 Chevy and the car was so great, so iconic, that it never needed a model name. As far as I know it never had one. It was always just '56 Chevy.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:08 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
It has always been this way. Car manufacturers are now just using build-codes in the name. Used to, people asked "Well, is it a "XYZ" Camaro?" Now they just ask "Is it the 1LE?" See, used to, the 1LE was a number in the glove box on the build sheet. Everyone cared so much that GM took the guesswork out, and now a stripper with the good suspension gets the title right in the name! Makes it easy.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:37 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,183,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I have heard this sooo many times that finally I said I have to check it out. I bet you haven’t, have you?According to Google, nova in Spanish means....wait for it...nova.
It's an urban legend.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:48 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You need to ask a Spanish speaker - they will confirm - "no va" means "doesn't go", or "not going", "nova" just means "nova".

The reason the Nova didn't sell wasn't because of its name however. It was a crap car there, just like it was here!

Old 05-20-2015, 06:55 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Another relative had a '56 Chevy and the car was so great, so iconic, that it never needed a model name. As far as I know it never had one. It was always just '56 Chevy.
Back then, some of the trim levels had names, but the models were just numbers each year, like '150'. Kind of the same thing we are talking about with how cars are named now...

Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Legend was the best car name
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive