Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times

Advertisements

I had an 87 golf that I smashed into a tree during a snowstorm years ago. Bumper was destroyed ("V'd" out n front of the car), headlights popped out, and the grille was busted. It fired right up and I drove it that way after temp repairing my headlights until I got my replacement parts which were only a few hundred dollars used. No airbags to deal with...ah the days of simplicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I decided to take a nap back in 2007 while I was driving. Everyone else in the van had also drifted to sleep. I woke up when I heard a loud noise caused by hitting something on the freeway. Airbags are exploded to open up. Not sure if you can drive with an airbag deployed or not. I know that you need a working radiator though and mine was destroyed. The front of the van was destroyed. Not a pretty site.

On a side note, I have decided that driving long hours at night is not for me.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:49 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoosBall View Post
If a vehicle with airbags is struck and the air bags all deploy... Then it turns out to be just a majorly dented bumper. The vehicle is able to drive off. Are the airbags able to be easily removed? Do you just toss those used airbags or should they be recycled at the dealership/body shop?
Generally if still in driveable condition, the vehicle can be driven with deployed airbags, unless the fuel pump is shut off with airbag deployment (or the car is otherwise disabled). Then more action is needed. The old airbags can be discarded. Often one or all of the seat belts are also disabled. Some cars now have so many airbags that having all of them deployed would turn the interior into a rat's nest, with torn seat side bolsters, torn seat cushions, blown knee bolsters, destroyed headliners, exploded dashboard covers, etc.

Replacing with used airbags is a possibility, and some are very inexpensive. Depending on the vehicle it also may need a computer and additional components such as seat belts, clock spring, wiring in the steering wheel, etc. It varies by year, make, and model.

What I often see on bashed up cars, is airbags that are simply cut out with a knife, having just the exploded plastic left in place. No idea what the people do for seat belts after that. Maybe just don't use them.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:44 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
For what it's worth, a collision hard enough to deploy the air bags will likely sustain too much damage to be able to drive it away.

But, yep, just slice away the deployed material with a razor blade.

As an aside, I ALWAYS keep a blade within reach of the driver (small folding knife on keychain or boxcutter clipped to visor) and encourage everyone to do so. In the event of an accident where a belt wont release, or you are inverted, you can cut your belt to get out. A small knife on the keychain will always be in your reach even in a violent rollover. You may never need it for yourself, but suppose you came across an accident where someone else desperately needs to be cut from their belt quickly? You're always ready.

I also keep a charged fire extinguisher bolted to the floor by my seat within reach. Again, if not for my own emergency, it's ready to assist anyone else that desperately needs it

Yep. Good advice. I do the same.

I bought a rescue knife though. I don't have time for small key chain knives. lol

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j...32178796374133

It also has a window punch on the butt

Old 05-19-2015, 10:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
If police were called to the scene, you probably aren't going to have the option. Usually police will deem the car undriveable if the airbags have been deployed and have it towed.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:22 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Able to drive off after airbags deploy following minor collision?

Drive your vehicle to the dealer and get those airbags replaced by someone who knows what they're doing. It's a vital safety feature that you don't want to take a chance with.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
I can name a few instances where the sides will go off with NO damage to the vehicle. Some trucks/SUVs have rollover bags in the side, they are dual purpose. Used as side impacts from a crash, and used to cushion a rollover. On some vehicles, if being off-roaded, and the rollover sensor is not calibrated correctly, they side bags may deploy.

One thing, they make great sun shades for the side windows.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:53 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
For short term, driving it home, or to your repair facility you can cut the deployed portion of the bag material with a razor blade. This is better than trying to drive with it in your way or obscuring your vision if you have roof air bags.

Or just tuck the blown bag into the spokes of the wheel.....works fine!

Old 07-05-2017, 03:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,441 times
I just had an incident tonight where some idiot decided to throw an M-80, or something like that, under my car as I drove by. (Happy 4th of July)
It caused the airbags on the paasenger side, roof and seat, to deploy. It also knocked my back bumper cover loose and blew off both rear hub caps. The car is in good driving condition. I was able to tuck the roof bag into the visor and drive home.
I have a Mazda.3. I didn't even realize that it had those kinds of airbags.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:26 AM

998 posts, read 1,236,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlw1962 View Post
I just had an incident tonight where some idiot decided to throw an M-80, or something like that, under my car as I drove by. (Happy 4th of July)
It caused the airbags on the paasenger side, roof and seat, to deploy. It also knocked my back bumper cover loose and blew off both rear hub caps. The car is in good driving condition. I was able to tuck the roof bag into the visor and drive home.
I have a Mazda.3. I didn't even realize that it had those kinds of airbags.
That's probably about $10,000 to repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive