Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:03 PM

25 posts, read 30,886 times

Advertisements

Subaru Outback would be a great car. Can fit everything, 4 wheel drive (sounds like you need it if he wants a 4runner), cheap insurance, japanese reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:22 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
A Toyota Matrix or Pontiac Vibe (same car) would be a really good reliable car.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:45 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,077,669 times
Im sure you can find a Pontiac Aztec with super lows miles for that price. The utter embarrassment of being seen in one of those would have plenty of low mileage models available.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:07 PM

18,039 posts, read 25,052,276 times
I bought a 2005 Ford Focus with 90k for $4000 and I'm very happy with it.
I love the fact that is a hatchback
one day I was able to put my 3 kids bicycle in it.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:57 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,212,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
I would say no to a mid 00's Volvo since I believe those years is when they were owned by Ford and quality took a hit, IIRC. I owned a 94' 850 Turbo and it was a good car, so I'm not anti-volvo, but they had some years where quality and dependability took a dive. Also, no to a used VW out of warranty, just no.

You really cant beat the tried and true method of Honda, Subaru, and Toyota for reliability, gas mileage, utility(Subaru wagon), and cheap ownership. Sure, they arent flashy, but for 6k and for a car just to get someone through college, they cant be beat.
Agreed. I was looking at a Volvo Wagon from the 2000-2006 vintage and they are known for transmission failures in the automatics.

VWs can be problematic, but if you find a good one it will go a long way while you pay to fix the little things that go wrong.

Subarus can be very noisy to drive if you get one that doesn't have a frame around the windows in the door. Wind leaks will drive you crazy when the weather stripping shrinks a bit due to age.

Supply and demand will dictate how much car you can get with that $6k. Everyone wants a honda/toyota so that $6k might get you an older high mileage car, but if you get an unwanted american sedan you might get a newer car.

Suzuki Sx4 can be had cheap and fairly new, not sure who services them now that Suzuki no longer sells cars.

If your son has a requirement to carry a bike or other large sporty items an SUV would be a good choice. Otherwise an america sedan might get you a nice car for that price range.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 PM

756 posts, read 827,811 times
Cool Advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
He is very athletic and has a job and can afford gas and he was hoping for an older 4Runner. A lot of them have high miles, but they keep their value and aren't cheap even for the old ones. Looks like he can get an 1998-2001 and they are everywhere on the road for the price we have to spend. We both like the body style of it. I'm not going to drive it, but I can see what he likes in them. People say that they will drive for many many miles if they were taken care of.

Things we have been asking the sellers of vehicles:

#1 has the timing belt been changed?
#2 does it leak oil?
#3 do you have maintenance records?
#4 is it a non smoking vehicle -- this is just for him personally. He is a healthy runner and let's be honest, smoking is gross, especially stale cigarette smoke in a vehicle.

Another car he likes were Volvos. Seems he could get a 2003-2005 model for his price. These are everywhere on the road too. Since he has shown me these two vehicles it is amazing how many of them I see driving around town.

Are these ok??? Do you have any suggestions?

He wanted leather/ vinyl ONLY because he works out every day (mountain biking, running, rock climbing) and leather is so much easier to keep clean than cloth.

Anyways, open to the experts out there. PS - I'm the mom.
Perhaps you should look at the luxury brands if you desire leather or vinyl. Lexus and Acura makes 4 door small SUVS.

I am not familiar with Volvos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNomad143 View Post
#4 is it a non smoking vehicle -- this is just for him personally. He is a healthy runner and let's be honest, smoking is gross, especially stale cigarette smoke in a vehicle.
THANK YOU. It seems most people do not want to be healthy nor athletic. And every vehicle I had where the previous owner smoked, always had at least one cigarette burn on the seats. Stale air can always be solved by cleaning the car and airing it out but there is more dam age caused by nasty cigarettes.

Good Luck.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,322,526 times
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I'd take that $6000 and buy a $4500-5000 car and save the other $1000 for the inevitable repairs that will quickly show up on an older, used, high mileage car.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:47 PM

219 posts, read 297,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Shouldn't a college aged individual be buying their own car?

Shouldn't you Democrats quit telling people how to run their lives? She can buy her kid whatever she wants and it's non of your business.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:26 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,695,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
Shouldn't you Democrats quit telling people how to run their lives? She can buy her kid whatever she wants and it's non of your business.

Only took 58 responses to turn political.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 AM

4,178 posts, read 3,703,156 times
Though he should be thankful that you are even buying a car for him do yourselves both a favor and get something he likes. I know if I have a car im not crazy about I get bored with it and want to get rid of it. He isn't asking for an expensive new car and is happy with something older and prefers something that expresses what he likes to do. Sure there are plenty of cheap, well maintained, reliable, fuel efficient cars out there but everyone drives those. Let him be a little different and get something cool...its not like he wants an old Land Rover that is very unreliable, he likes stuff like a Toyota that will run forever and is very reliable. I currently have a low mileage truck as a DD that I would get rid of tomorrow for a high mileage 4Runner (before 2003). I remember when the Nissan Xterra came out and I saw the commercial for the first time, it summed up my adventure side and I wanted one so bad, I couldn't afford one at the time but I never settled for something less as it just wouldn't have been the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive