Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, most of the world runs red lights. This is not a sign that the world is coming to an end. You must be a Republican, aren't you? Oh nevermind I know the answer to that question.
I knew someone like you would come in and say something like this....
I didn't say the world was coming to an end, don't take it to the complete opposite end of the spectrum....

what I said, is, as yourself, you think you are above rules and laws....the reason this is happening, is b/c of cut backs in police departments and they don't have enough cops to sit and make people obey the law.

yes, I am conservative, and when you put it like that, proud of it...and believe you me, there are a whole lot of people out there cussing guys like you out....

I'm a registered independent...and proud of it....

boast away cowboy,until one day you run a light and hurt someone...bad....

I wish the cops would fine your arse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:02 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
What I get annoyed in America is all of the stop signs everywhere when most of them can be replaced with Yield signs just like in Europe!
Amen and hallelujah to that! Think of the gas and brake linings that are wasted on unnecessary stopping.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Many are apparently very important and believe their phone calls are worth killing someone for.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
What I get annoyed in America is all of the stop signs everywhere when most of them can be replaced with Yield signs just like in Europe!
people will not yield any more, they keep on going and hope the slow lane, slows down...if they put put up yield signs, they'd have a lot more accidents....

Old 05-21-2015, 08:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
One lady took my brother out doing this.
On cell phone.
Had baby in the car.

I am so happy we have red light cameras here now.
I wish we had speed cameras like Germany.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:10 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Many are apparently very important and believe their phone calls are worth killing someone for.
Talking on the phone while driving is not actually dangerous. That is why you see the same crash rates in states before and after it was made illegal.

Two people win by making cell phone talking illegal, the state since they can now write more tickets and businesses that make Handsfree devices that lobby states to get the law passed.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I knew someone like you would come in aIts something like this....
I didn't say the world was coming to an end, don't take it to the complete opposite end of the spectrum....

what I said, is, as yourself, you think you are above rules and laws....the reason this is happening, is b/c of cut backs in police departments and they don't have enough cops to sit and make people obey the law.

yes, I am conservative, and when you put it like that, proud of it...and believe you me, there are a whole lot of people out there cussing guys like you out....

I'm a registered independent...and proud of it....

boast away cowboy,until one day you run a light and hurt someone...bad....

I wish the cops would fine your arse
Good luck getting any cop to fine my "arse" (you mean ass, this isn't the UK), seeming that I'm the only one in town that stops at yellow lights and turns his phone off while driving. No need to act like this is something new and that the world is a scary place now. This has been the norm all the time in the urban Northeast US.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I see people going through just turned red lights all the time. It has been that way for as long as I have been driving.

But if you are saying that people are going through solid (hot, total - or any other euphemism for a light that has been red for a while) reds, then that is something new to me and I have not seen it in SC. Where are you seeing this?
Consider yourself lucky!

I have personally been stopped in the right lane at a red light that was red a good 8-10 seconds and watched a young woman cruise right thru the light at at least the limit (55mph) without even a hint at attempted slowing while merrily yakking away on the phone. It was at a 'T' intersection with a road coming in from the left and extremely lucky no traffic was coming onto the road I was on.

This was in Wilmington NC.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:17 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Talking on the phone while driving is not actually dangerous.
Continue believing that, may the only one you kill or maim be yourself.

Quote:
That is why you see the same crash rates in states before and after it was made illegal.
The same crash rates before and after being made illegal says nothing considering how many completely ignore the legality or lack of.

Quote:
Two people win by making cell phone talking illegal, the state since they can now write more tickets and businesses that make Handsfree devices that lobby states to get the law passed.
And WHO is it wins when some self-important A**hole goes thru a red light and kills someone because they couldn't possibly ignore their damn phone? And yes, I have personal knowledge of someone sitting peacefully at a light on his motorcycle who was put into a wheelchair and subsequent premature death by some POS whose phone call was more important than someone's life.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:20 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
The same crash rates before and after being made illegal says nothing considering how many completely ignore the legality or lack of.

And WHO is it wins when some self-important A**hole goes thru a red light and kills someone because they couldn't possibly ignore their damn phone? And yes, I have personal knowledge of someone sitting peacefully at a light on his motorcycle who was put into a wheelchair and subsequent premature death by some POS whose phone call was more important than someone's life.
The majority of people actually follow the law, it hasn't made a difference.

I have personal knowledge of someone not on a phone causing accidents. Your argument is weak and based on emotion. Statistics show cell phone laws make no difference, if a law makes no difference why should we restrict liberty by keeping it on the books? The short answer is to write tickets.

"Our main result was that we found no evidence that the California cellphone ban decreased accidents," Colorado University economics Professor Daniel T. Kaffine, one of the lead autors of the study, said in a statement.
http://thenewspaper.com/news/44/4464.asp

I know controlling others makes you feel better about yourself, but you need to resist that urge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive