Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 12:22 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,712 times

Advertisements

Tourist season is beginning again in Maine, and with it comes an abundance of people who can't comprehend simple directional signs at the various rotaries we have around the state.

If you can see the attachment, that is a sign very much like what you will see when approaching the rotaries in the downtown area of the state's capital. It's not rocket surgery; you need to be in the right lane to go right, the left lane to go left, and can take either lane to go straight ahead.

You wouldn't turn left across a straight-through lane anywhere else, so what on earth makes people think it is okay to do so in this particular instance?
Attached Thumbnails
What is so confusing about these signs?-roundabout-lane-signs.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
There are a few traffic circles around here, but they are all single lane. I think I would try to go around on the outside to go left.. I'm not sure I would make the right call seeing that for the first time.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
When it comes to 2-lane rotaries, you are never going to get everyone flowing through it seamlessly. You'll always have the person on the outside lane wanting to travel 3/4 of the way around while the person on the inside lane wants to get off 1/4 of the way around. That's when you run into accidents.

Personally, for me, the setup needs to take place well before the rotary. If you are going 1/2, 3/4 or all the way around, you need to be in the inside lane. If you are getting off at the first exit, set up in the right lane before the rotary. When the first set of cars dumps off at the first exit, the cars on the inside lane should move outwards if they are getting off at the next exit, otherwise stay inside.

Oh and if you miss your exit, don't come to a stop and try to get over. It's a circle, just drive around again!

Old 05-21-2015, 02:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
That straight narrow line going from bottom to center is the one that throws me off -- a completely unnecessary distraction.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:13 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
They are called roundabout's not rotaries.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:21 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times
That's the most confusing road sign I've ever seen. No wonder people get it wrong.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:37 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
This is similar to a roundabout in ID. A bit more detail.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM

302 posts, read 1,156,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Tourist season is beginning again in Maine, and with it comes an abundance of people who can't comprehend simple directional signs at the various rotaries we have around the state.

If you can see the attachment, that is a sign very much like what you will see when approaching the rotaries in the downtown area of the state's capital. It's not rocket surgery; you need to be in the right lane to go right, the left lane to go left, and can take either lane to go straight ahead.

You wouldn't turn left across a straight-through lane anywhere else, so what on earth makes people think it is okay to do so in this particular instance?
I'd never seen any sign like this, driven in a lot of cities and states but this is new to me. I would've not understood it, especially at a quick glance while driving and watching the road and other traffic as I try to decide where I need position myself to get where I want to go.

Took your description (bolded above) for me to understand that narrow vertical half line in the middle represented a lane divider.

Now, that said, It would have made sense by time I went through the roundabout once and would be familiar with it thereafter. But first approach, as a tourist, I might have very well ended up being one of those tourist folks you're complaining about.

Just a matter of familiarity I suppose. Where I'm at, we have both one way and two way service roads.
Whereas, on some stretches, service traffic is traveling in the same direction as that side of highway traffic, other stretches, service traffic is traveling both directions on both sides of higway. (This also means you are either yielding/merging with traffic or against it, depending). A lot of tourists to my area mention that as confusing. But for the locals, that isn't "rocket surgery" either.

*Edit* Just saw F5's sign, where the lanes are labeled. Now, that makes sense! Maybe this is a concern best taken up with your municipality and their posted signage.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:55 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Here is a good one in Viera, Florida.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:55 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
They are called roundabout's not rotaries.
Maybe in your location, not many people use that term in my area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive