Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:27 AM

41 posts, read 53,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
I need a vehicle for a very long commute, approx 100 miles each way 3x per week. This is almost exclusively high speed highway driving, so hybrids don't apply. This commuting arrangement will last for 2-3 years, so need a reliable low maintenance vehicle.

Must Haves:
Excellent Highway Fuel Economy
Leather Seats
Sirius XM Radio
Decent Headlights (one leg of commute is at night)
Excellent Highway Safety Features
Excellent Reliability
Low Maintenance
Uses Regular Gas
Bluetooth Connectivity

After looking at everything, one vehicle that stands out is Honda Accord EXL 4 cylinder.

Is there anything else I should consider that even comes close to what I'm looking for?
Re requirements:

- "Excellent" is subjective
- Reliability is questionable even for Honda/Toyota cars due to recalls, newer generation models may be better than previous models so no info yet re reliability
- Not many models offer leather but may offer leatherette instead of cloth
- No mention on types or sizes of vehicles (i.e. compact vs midsize, SUV, etc...)
- No mention of driving style (i.e. fun to drive or commuter emphasis)
- Generally, SUVs aren't fuel efficient

Considerations:
1. Diesel - meant for highway/long distance travel
- Basically... VW TDI ... Golf, Passat, Jetta
- 2015 Golf models are brand new so reliability info is not available
- Passats/Jettas supposedly have some issues but new models are due out 201/2017 which may correct them
- Availability and Cost of diesel fuel is uncertain since it depends on where one lives; diesel fuel costs may be more or less the price of premium gas in some geographical areas

2. Honda Accord/Civic
3. Toyota Camry/Corolla
4. Nissan Altima
- You'll have to put up with the Japanese maker's CVT engines, though, which can be loud upon start up and acceleration
- Toyota/Nissan still makes a V6 but the 4 cylinder engines are more fuel efficient
- The foreign cars aren't as quiet, though, like Honda/Nissan, which aren't known for quiet cabins

5. Ford Fusion

Need to consider how each rides and how each car seat feels as you really can't tell during the test drive. Many cars has Flat seats and don't include a tile seat feature and many users have noted these issues in that it hurts their backside/bottom on various online forums.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
No issues with diesel per se, but where I'm located, diesel is more expensive than premium gas and only offered at certain stations. Not sure who makes good diesels.
no need to 'BUY' diesel... brew / grow your own / salvage heating oil / discarded Jet A / used motor oil / veggie / algae....
~$100 will get you set up with a processor (D-I-Y) Appleseed Processor Kit - Utah Biodiesel Supply

ZERO fuel cost is not a bad thing

If new... a Passat TDI would be a nice ride.

My 'Beater' Passats (B4V) go 1250 miles per tank. (maximum distance between chinese cafes)
You can find these Passats for under $2k (Don't use the electric windows, or plastic door handles and reliability will be improved)

Old 05-27-2015, 11:05 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
I'd buy a Chevy Cruze Diesel.
There is at least $4K cash back on them. You can get one very cheap right now... probably less than $20K.
It has just about everything on your list, plus it has more power and gets better mileage than a TDI.

Last edited by eaton53; 05-27-2015 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-27-2015, 04:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
Quote:
I need a vehicle for a very long commute, approx 100 miles each way 3x per week. This is almost exclusively high speed highway driving, so hybrids don't apply. This commuting arrangement will last for 2-3 years, so need a reliable low maintenance vehicle.

Must Haves:
Excellent Highway Fuel Economy
Leather Seats
Sirius XM Radio
Decent Headlights (one leg of commute is at night)
Excellent Highway Safety Features
Excellent Reliability
Low Maintenance
Uses Regular Gas
Bluetooth Connectivity

After looking at everything, one vehicle that stands out is Honda Accord EXL 4 cylinder.

Is there anything else I should consider that even comes close to what I'm looking for?
Did you evaluate Elantra 2015 or Sonata 2016? They have all the features you ask for . For the first 2 years if you hit 50k, you are still covered under warranty.

But of course if you are a Toyota/Honda person, its hard to convince.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:11 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Buy a Tesla

Old 05-28-2015, 04:08 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
A diesel powered car is a good option for highway travel. VW offers diesel in the Golf, Jetta, & Passat (VW's midsize sedan). Chevrolet Cruze also has a diesel option. Many compact sedans get close to 40mpg highway, but you'll get better comfort in the midsize class. On midsize class, you don't always have to get the powerful thirsty engine to get leather seats. In some models you can get the top line model with the base fuel efficient engine. You need to sit in each car to figure out which has the seat most comfortable for your body. Road comfort will vary by model as some offer a more sporty feeling suspension making them harder over bumps. I haven't driven the midsize class but have watched and read comparison test. Hyundai Sonata & Kia Optima as well as the Toyota Camry were pretty smooth over bumps. On the midsize class I'd say the Sonata, Camry, and Passat should be on your short list. On the compact class I'd consider the Elantra, Sentra, Cruze Diesel, Golf diesel, Jetta diesel, and Corolla. If you go up market from these brands, check Buick (Verano, Regal), Audi (A4), Volvo (S60), Mercedes C class, and BMW 3 series sedan. You'll get less MPG, but better comfort.
The thing with diesels are their long range. My 2003 Jetta can do up to 800 miles on a tank. Check out Gas Buddy on the app or on the web. Make sure your diesel price assumptions are correct. The diesel prices near your work or at the half way point of your 100 mile commute might be cheap. There are local variations in diesel pricing due to different local taxes.

In the newer department a VW Passat diesel would be very nice. That is also a great suggestion about the Cruze diesel.

Regardless of car choice I hope you can find something closer. At 40 cents a mile that commute is costing $1,600 per month And 72 hours of driving every month....yikes.

Also check out some fuel credit cards. I have one from Pentagon Federal that offers a flat 5 percent rebate on fuel purchases with no limits.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:57 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
For just over 2 years, I drove 150 miles a day. My vehicle of choice was a 2002 Crown Vic.
Decent performance and MPG. Comfortable.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:22 PM

609 posts, read 2,242,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
My first thought was- Is this a joke? You can't be serious, a Honda 4 banger? A Yugo would be about the same. I wouldn't leave home with that Honda and not have a couple of pairs of good walking shoes, yer gonna need them. Honda has had tons of issues with their engines. The biggest issue is with the variable displacement system- frankly, it doesn't work. And because it doesn't work right, the engines burns LOTS of oil. Another issue will be when the cats finally have digested enough oil and become contaminated, guess who gets to spend a couple of grand to replace them? A Honda? Have you ever had a job like this where you travel a lot? A small anything is not what you want unless you like getting blown off of the hiway. Even in a minor wreck, you lose. I strongly suggest something a lot more substantial than any econobox. A Ford Taurus would be dandy if a car will do. Otherwise, I'd stick to an SUV of some kind. But if you just have to have a small econobox, the Ford Fusion is eons ahead of everything out there. Go look at one. You'll come home with it. FWIW, the wife has a 2014 Fusion and when I drive it I get in the mid 30's mpg easily and using a Scanguage can get into the low 40's
Here's Delta report on the Honda:
Honda Accord Problems
You must be smoking something (sorry to appear rude). The Accord 4 banger does NOT have variable cylinder management.

My 2004 Accord EXL 4 cyl has 260k miles on the odometer and runs like new (granted it is starting to show rust because I live in MA). I change oil every 10k miles too. Please educate yourself.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:33 PM

609 posts, read 2,242,594 times
I have to also add that you should consider diesels. A golf tdi or a slightly bigger car will give you upwards of 40mpg. Something to think about.

Also look at Mini Cooper, they are fun to drive and give close to 40 mpg on the highway (but slightly higher maintenance cost).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive