Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:08 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
Having dealt with the carburetors on a 1980 Honda Motorcycle not long ago, I would have to say moving everything to EFI was a big plus for all, especially improved emissions and fuel efficiency. Just pressing the starter on my fuel injected motorcycle is so much easier.
Yup!
Those who long for "the good old days" either never had to deal with starting and warming-up carbureted vehicles in the winter, or have somehow forgotten how much of a PITA they could be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:13 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yup!
Those who long for "the good old days" either never had to deal with starting and warming-up carbureted vehicles in the winter, or have somehow forgotten how much of a PITA they could be.

May be a little more tedious but definitely easier and less expensive to repair.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:51 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
I had four carbed Honda motorcycles a few years back. The only ones that were going to be a pain to do maintenance on were the V-Twin and V-Four models (Had a VTR1000F and a VF750CD). The only bike that had issues was the VTR, which HATED cold idles...it really didn't like warm idles much either, but when cold it was a bear to keep running.

The dual 48mm carburetors on the VTR were made for horsepower, and not for ease of running, fuel efficiency, or anything else. The end result was a motorcycle that could only achieve 30 mpg on it's best days, and would snark and shoot flames from the exhaust whenever you were prodding it hard. The bike had tons of personality, but wasn't much fun to live with.

My other two bikes were CB650sc Nighthawks of 1983 and 1985 vintage. I had to pull and clean the carbs on both of these, and they proved incredibly easy to work on. And were very reliable, cold, rain, sun, etc.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:54 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I had four carbed Honda motorcycles a few years back. The only ones that were going to be a pain to do maintenance on were the V-Twin and V-Four models (Had a VTR1000F and a VF750CD). The only bike that had issues was the VTR, which HATED cold idles...it really didn't like warm idles much either, but when cold it was a bear to keep running.

The dual 48mm carburetors on the VTR were made for horsepower, and not for ease of running, fuel efficiency, or anything else. The end result was a motorcycle that could only achieve 30 mpg on it's best days, and would snark and shoot flames from the exhaust whenever you were prodding it hard. The bike had tons of personality, but wasn't much fun to live with.

My other two bikes were CB650sc Nighthawks of 1983 and 1985 vintage. I had to pull and clean the carbs on both of these, and they proved incredibly easy to work on. And were very reliable, cold, rain, sun, etc.

I had a nighthawk and loved that thing. no power but a lot of fun. Upgraded to a gsxr1000 later but still miss the fun I had on the nighthawk.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,447,861 times
1964 was the beginning of modern era of automobile. Cars have not changed much since them.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
I would say the "Modern Era" began when they became able to completely integrate design, engineering, testing and tooling though 3D computer modelling.
That's when cars got a heck of a lot better. As computers get more powerful, cars will continue to improve.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:44 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
1964 was the beginning of modern era of automobile. Cars have not changed much since them.
Are you basing this on automakers beginning to migrate towards unit-body construction?

Old 05-27-2015, 12:16 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,124,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post

How about trying to keep Chryslers Six Pack carbs in tune 1972 Dodge Challenger RT 440 Six-Pack engine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	mopp_0801_01z+mopar_six_pack_intake_tune+factory_setup.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	150696

Old 05-27-2015, 12:41 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...as does Overdrive.
While automatic transmissions with Overdrive are a more recent innovation, manual transmission cars could be had with Overdrive as long ago as the 1940s.

Fuel injection started to appear as an extra-cost option on American-made cars in the late '50s, and it was not unusual to find it as standard equipment on European-made cars by the mid-'70s.

I know that. I didn't have time to finish my post.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:59 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
And most American cars did not have full fule injection they had throttle body injection you know a injector located on top of your carburetor not an injector going to every cylinder like it is now.
Quite a few vehicles had mechanical fuel injection prior to the 70s. As far as widespread use; as we know Pickuos got what cars got about a year or two after- so whenever all pickups were efi- that would begin widespred use. Not counting diesels, as they always had mechanical fuel injection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive