Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 06:12 PM

450 posts, read 596,759 times

Advertisements

When cars get older and they are worth keeping it can be good to check the brightness of the light bulbs. Recently I noticed the backup lights on my ten year old pickup were real dim. The bulbs looked whitish so I headed down to the auto parts store. Since there were three bulbs I each tail light I bought a two pack of each. Changing them after cleaning the plastic housing with dish washing soap made a huge difference. Doing my Google research I learned that most car bulbs come in two packs because it's recommended to change them in pairs.
You can tell when a turn signal bulb is out because the other bulbs will flash at a faster rate until new bulbs are installed.
Also, if you upgrade to new led bulbs you must also install resistors so they will flash normally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:14 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
A brush made for cleaning a gun will do a nice job on light sockets.

Make sure that the light has a good ground with no rust between light and the car body.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:58 AM

450 posts, read 596,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
A brush made for cleaning a gun will do a nice job on light sockets.

Make sure that the light has a good ground with no rust between light and the car body.

True but many cars and trucks have flat sockets with wire connectors that can't be easily cleaned. Such as the 3357 stop light and 3356 turn signal bulbs. My advice is to buy a can of MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor) cleaner and spray it into the socket to safely clean it. That cleaner is safe for electronics and dries in a few minutes.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:30 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I recently "restored" the taillights on my 26 year old Mustang. It had dim lights, but the issue wasn't the bulb. The chrome reflective paint used on the inside of the plastic taillight housing had faded over the years. It wasn't reflective anymore.

I had to disassemble the taillight, clean and respray the housing with chrome paint, and reassemble.

It made a HUGE difference in light output.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive