Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

The OP doesn't need a truck. It's easier and cheaper to rent a van or pickup the couple of times a year it might be needed. As an alternative, the trailer or cargo rack options are good and inexpensive. I used to have a trailer hitch on my Subaru Loyale wagon, which I mainly used a couple of times a year to move a small sailboat: we only needed one for the family and I volunteered to do it. It was no problem using a trailer with my Subaru.

It will take a lot of truck rentals to cost more than a new car/truck payment, plus added insurance, fuel usage, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 09:59 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
If you have the room, the trailer is a good way to go. I used to have a 09 Scion xB, and I also had a 4x6 trailer with a drop-down gate, the kind you buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. I'd use the trailer to haul my motorcycle, or take stuff to the dump, or....basically anything I'd use a pick-up for. Worked just fine. I have a pick-up now (2nd vehicle), but only because I'm a 'truck guy' and not having one laying around bugged me, but I certainly don't 'need' it.

Mike

Old 05-28-2015, 10:43 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin587 View Post
I've been driving midsize and compact cars for years. I went from a piece of junk 1993 Nissan Altima to a nice 2013 Subaru Impreza a few years ago. Here's a few questions/concerns I have right now.

1) I can't haul anything. I guess this is the biggest one. I have to constantly reach out to family and friends whenever I need something hauled. This can be something simple like a new lawnmower or a new patio set. Worst part is, I can't haul anything dirty of any size.
I have gotten plenty of lawn mowers in sedans. You can make it work. The carpeting in your trunk vacumms/cleans if you get grass on it.

Better question, how frequently do you lean on people to haul things?

Quote:
2) I don't like SUVs. No offense to those that do. I just never liked how they looked or how they drove. This seems to be the alternative to trucks for a lot of people, but I don't think they're my next best option.
Do you think your going to like how a massive truck drives compared to an SUV? If you think the SUV's of the world are not car-like enough, I am doubtful a pickup is going to drive idealy for you either. Many modern SUV's drive far more like a car than pickup trucks do.

Quote:
3) I don't need the extra people capacity - I need the extra hauling capacity. I cannot remember the last time more than one other person was riding with me. I am a horrible driver at times, so it does not take any convincing to have another person drive if we're travelling with more than 2 people .
How horrible of a driver are you? Is driving a massive pickup a good idea if your so scary behind the wheel that people refuse to ride with you?

Quote:
So...would a truck be worth buying? I am very concerned about buying a truck since I am close to finally paying off my current vehicle. Ideally, I would like to have one vehicle, but I am not sure that is the best option.

Any thoughts?
Only you can say if it is worth it. It is a big expense (purchase price, gas costs, etc) to make the move. Unless you are in need of that kind of haul capacity weekly, I would think the occasional lean on someone or trip to Uhaul for a couple bucks would be far more worth it.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I LUV my Snowbear trailers, and tow them all the time behind my 52 hp VW IDI diesels and 90 HP TDI's. (3x this week while building a house.)

Costco sold a 2000GVW version and I pick them up used for $400. (not to be confused with Home Depot version; 1,600GVW, but nearly identical)

Tilting bed, reversing tailgates (can haul 12' supported, and even 20' rebar, lumber, and pipe), extendable tongue, adjustable axle placement.

Add a fiberglass topper from Toyota long bed, and you have a 'teardrop RV' (for your 30 - 50 mpg car)

https://www.google.com/search?q=snow...o&ved=0CDYQsAQ

A most memorable Snowbear trip was 2500 mile trip hauling my dad's body to burial. We went to all dad's favorite spots, rented a backhoe and planted him with military honors.

For heavier hauling:
I step up to my VW diesel pickup, 50 mpg (<2000# + Snowbear 2000#)
Then to dually 4x4 Cummins, 20 mpg ($2500) 28,000# GCVWR w/ trailer
Mack Class 8; 10 mpg (3 axle / 56,000 GVWR)
Kenworth 7 mpg 108,000# GCVWR

If you don't need a truck... I wouldn't bother. They are not cheap to use as a commuter ($$$ tires and brakes).
The subie can be 'thrown away' when it has served it's useful life (~300k miles).

Old 05-28-2015, 10:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
My one Son has a Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab and that thing is the handiest vehicle in the family. Can't tell you how many times we have hauled something large in the bed, or towed a trailer with a car on it. That was the best investment he made, and with the back seat and four doors, it is like a car with the advantage of having that big bed back there.

We have taken long trips in it, all 3 of us, and it is very comfortable and roomy.

Don

Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
If you want a truck, get one. To me a quad cab 1/2 ton short bed is the most versatile and comfortable vehicle out there. The longer wheelbase gives them a good ride but since it's a short bed the overall length is no different then a standard cab/long bed or full sized car of the past. The rear doors give easy access to the rear seat which doesn't only need to be used for passengers but for lockable and dry storage of things, such as groceries or luggage, as well. Put an aluminum toolbox across the bed and you have a lockable and dry "trunk" for other items. To keep the MPG's up in a decent range you don't need to go with a larger V/8, you can go with a smaller 8 or even a V/6 and have plenty of power. A 2 (rear) wheel drive 1/2 ton with a V/6 is actually going to get decent MPG's.

If you think a 1/2 ton is too big, Toyota and Chevy make smaller ones as well. There is also the Ford Ranger and Dodge Dakota if your going used and go back a few years.

Now, one thing to consider is that as a previous poster stated, if you don't like the handling of SUV's then you might not like the handling of a pick-up. After all, A Chevy 1/2 ton pick-up is basically a Tahoe, Yukon or Suburban with an open back and a Ford F150 is basically an Expedition/Expedition XL with an open back.

Go to a dealer and give one a test drive. You might just be pleasantly surprised. Test drive one with the V/6 and see if that will do.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:21 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Just rent a truck when you need one. If you just want one because you want one, then get one.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:46 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Your best option may be to trade the Impreza in for a nice Crew Cab V8 full-sizer. They really do just about everything possible a vehicle can. They're comfortable and fairly fuel efficient (especially for what they are).

The reason I say trade in is this. They are a good value, but not quite cheap. A Ram 1500 with all the bells and whistles can be had for $35k for example. It's a better deal to get this than a stripped-out model and have 2 vehicles. Sure, you may pay a little less for gas, but overall vehicle running costs will be higher. Tires/oil/belts/registration/insurance/etc for 2 cars is more than 1.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Happy - I didn't see where he wants a truck.
When the title of the thread says “Considering buying a truck” it is safe to assume he is considering buying a truck. The beauty of a pick up is the bed is always there. Can you bring home plants and flowers with that utility trailer?

Old 05-28-2015, 12:01 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The OP doesn't need a truck. It's easier and cheaper to rent a van or pickup the couple of times a year it might be needed. As an alternative, the trailer or cargo rack options are good and inexpensive. I used to have a trailer hitch on my Subaru Loyale wagon, which I mainly used a couple of times a year to move a small sailboat: we only needed one for the family and I volunteered to do it. It was no problem using a trailer with my Subaru.

It will take a lot of truck rentals to cost more than a new car/truck payment, plus added insurance, fuel usage, etc.

Not as many as you may think. I've done the math in another thread on here.

If you run all the numbers including your gas to and from the rental facility, if you use it once per week to go to the local hardware store, etc... it was cheaper for me to buy a truck outright. Here's a quick breakdown of the math I used. Factor in time as well, as you have your time to go fill out paperwork to rent the truck, track one down, drive to get it, drive to return it, stopping to top off the tank, etc...

Truck payment per month - $156
Insurance per month - $80
Current fuel cost per month - $260

Total spent per month owning the truck (including trips to the local hardware centers, etc) - $496

Previous car payment per month - $150
Insurance per month - $76
Fuel cost per month for car - $160

Total spent per month excluding renting a truck - $386

Rental truck - $19.99
Mileage - $.56/mile
Mileage from home to rental store - 8 miles (8 miles x $.11 (based on 24mpg) = $.88 one way
Roundtrip mileage from rental store to hardware store, to home, and back to rental store = 21 miles
(21 miles x $.56/mile) = $11.76
Topping the tank back off on the rental truck = $4.50

Total rental truck cost per event = $38.01
Total times rented per month = 4
Total cost per month for rental truck = $152.04

Total spent per month including renting a truck ($152.04+386) = $538.04
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive