Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 06:57 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times

Advertisements

Lease and return. Who needs the headache?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 10:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I understand what you're saying, but there isn't always a car payment. The last time I bought a new car, I paid it off in 3.5 years and kept it for another 11. When it was totaled, my mother lent one of her cars to me until she decided to sell it. That was right around the time that she had to stop driving. She gave her other car to me. If I want to get rid of that, I'll sell it and consider the profit a down payment on something else. Then there will be a car payment.
Good for you but most of us don’t get to take our mother’s cars just when we happen to need one.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:31 PM

728 posts, read 1,899,743 times
I like to keep a car until I see something better come along. Usually about a year or so. Yes I am always making a car payment but until I find a car that I absolutely love till the wheels fall off then that's pretty much my life. Drives my wife crazy since she has had the same car for years and she doesn't understand why I trade my car in every year or so.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:33 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,029,608 times
A lot can go wrong with a car, even in its first year, especially when not looked after. This all sounds risky, and I wouldn't want to be the one that buys the car second-hand.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:35 AM

687 posts, read 915,704 times
I have never had a car payment. Cash. Cash. and Cash.

I remember my first car was paid with actual cash on the table, not a check.

Frugality is wonderful. How does the average person save anything when they constantly have car payments? (answer: most simply don't).

Old 05-31-2015, 09:06 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
Look at what Asian young ladies do, and follow it. We're all getting to the point where these digital vehicles are eliminating the back yard guy, and do a damn good job of it. If you're never going to be lifting the hood again, you might as well trade in for new every four years when the trade in means something, particularly going back to the same dealer. And take the financing.

Brakes are still the same 100. do it yourself job, BUT the infrared sensors on some vehicles now can be a 700. dealer item if you break it installing your cheap brake job. I've seen it done. So how much do you really save?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:15 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I buy new/newer vehicles very frequently, but generally do not have payments on them. I just like newer cars, and am continually looking for ones which have increasingly sporty and refined rides.

Is it the cheapest way to go about owning transportation? Certainly not. It's my vice, and I am not apologetic about it.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:38 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post

Frugality is wonderful. How does the average person save anything when they constantly have car payments? (answer: most simply don't).
If a car payment gets in the way of saving, it's being done wrong.

After saving 30% of my take home monthly pay and paying the bills, I still have some left over. I'd rather use some of that discretionary income for a lease payment than fixing a clunker.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:47 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post

And where did the cash come from? Oh, right, you saved and handed it all over to the dealer in one lump sum. What is the difference?

Old 05-31-2015, 01:51 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Again with this unfounded assumption that people making a car payment are spending all of their money on that car payment. It's simply not true. I sold cars for years, and some of the wealthiest people purchasing cars were financing them.

Someone who was overextending their monthly payment was actually a lot more rare than people buying within their means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive