Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 10:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I will say that I do get annoyed when I'm going 80 in the left lane (70 mph limit) and someone comes up going 90 or faster, forcing me and everyone else not driving like a bat out of hell to get over behind the person doing 60. Happens more often than you'd think.

I think the idea of "going the speed of traffic" is important in these situations. Someone going well below it is a nuisance to everyone else going a higher similar speed. Someone driving way above it is also a nuisance.
Yeah. If you're constantly passing everyone, guess what? You're not going with the flow of traffic any more than the person driving slower than everyone else is. You're BOTH a menace.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:44 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,022,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I will say that I do get annoyed when I'm going 80 in the left lane (70 mph limit) and someone comes up going 90 or faster, forcing me and everyone else not driving like a bat out of hell to get over behind the person doing 60. Happens more often than you'd think.

I think the idea of "going the speed of traffic" is important in these situations. Someone going well below it is a nuisance to everyone else going a higher similar speed. Someone driving way above it is also a nuisance.
Forcing you? What, do they just run up beside you and push you over?

The keep right laws all have an "except to pass" clause in them; if you're passing someone, you aren't obliged to cancel your pass and pull in behind the slowpoke just because someone faster comes up behind you.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:48 PM

520 posts, read 528,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yeah. If you're constantly passing everyone, guess what? You're not going with the flow of traffic any more than the person driving slower than everyone else is. You're BOTH a menace.
I swear you are incapable of understanding a multi lane freeway. If youre a slow poke and youre hanging out in the right 3 lanes its all good, and if the faster driver is using the left most lane as a passing lane it DOESNT AFFECT YOU AT ALL. You can still drive as slow as you want in your lane. What will happen is the faster driver will pass you on the left then get back into one of the right lanes after he clears you. Nobody is a menace in that situation. Why in gods name are you so militant in trying to keep the left most lane? I mean youve got 3 options and nobody wants your opinion or determination as to how fast they are going in the passing lane because it doesnt affect you at all and it aint your job lady.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:59 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,211,750 times
Quote:
Now, read the article that I posted. However, IF the law actually reads that way (and I'd want to see the statute itself - did I miss it?), since the Indiana code very clearly states that you may not under any conditions exceed the posted limit, that would lead to the "mare's nest" in court that I referenced earlier. And to the poster who said I was the only one who was confused - I'm not confused at all. I've been a legal assistant and it is not difficult at all for me to imagine the opposing arguments on this if, indeed, the law is so self-contradictory. As I said, the only winner until Indiana sorts out if it wants to make the speed limit non-existent or if it wants to make it clear that slower traffic move right means traffic driving lower than the speed limit move right, will be the attorney's pocketbooks. Indiana, IF the new statute says what all of you are gleefully insisting it does, has really put its foot in it this time. They either should have made it explicit that it is traffic driving slower than the speed limit or they should have stated that the speed limit, in Indiana, doesn't exist in the left lane. But that would, as one legislator said about this law, make them look ridiculous.
Indiana doesn't need a law to make them look ridiculous.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:39 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,128,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
3.55s. No governors round here
Obviously not. That old diesel must've been screaming at 2300RPM!

Old 06-04-2015, 12:45 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,128,082 times
Quote:
So long as they are using the left lane, rather than weaving in and out of traffic, the person going faster than the pace of traffic is not being a menace.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:31 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,544,156 times
Going fast does not make your a menace! Purposely impeding faster drivers because you don't approve of their speed makes you a menace AND encourages others to pass on the right - something they should not be doing.

Try that behavior on the perimeter around Atlanta where the slow lane is 60, 2nd lane 65, 3rd lane 70, 4th + 5th lanes 80 + and see how long you can maintain it.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:39 AM

3,394 posts, read 6,036,139 times
I wish it was enforced throughout the entire country. In fact, I wish the penalties were severe because of how dangerous it is to impede traffic.

First offense: $500 ticket
Second offense: suspended license
Third offense: impound their car

I think one way to stop this is to make it more difficult and expensive to get a license. We are at the point where people think it is their right to drive, not a privilege.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:12 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,734,895 times
I definitely think we should go back to public stockades and tarring and feathering for left lane hogging.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:16 AM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I definitely think we should go back to public stockades and tarring and feathering for left lane hogging.
Public shamings and a scarlet letter? A big red C for campers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive