Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 11:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Speeding and left lane camping are directly related, because 9 times out of 10, the only reason that the person in the left lane bothers anybody is if the person behind them simply can't live without speeding.
Nine times out of 10? Got any proof of that? There are plenty of people who pace big trucks so both lanes are blocked. There are others who aren't in any hurry and cruise below the speed limit and refuse to move.

Of course I'm sure you'll have some comeback about the evil speeders I've seen you making similar comments on other threads.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:08 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,246 times
Quote:
Speeding and left lane camping are directly related, because 9 times out of 10, the only reason that the person in the left lane bothers anybody is if the person behind them simply can't live without speeding.
That statement is based upon the assumption that the passer is speeding. It's very possible to pass without speeding.

Quote:
Usually, in my observation (and I've been paying a LOT of attention out on the roads to this kind of thing after participating in similar discussions on here), everybody in ALL lanes are going the speed limit (or over) and the person who is being delayed is someone who isn't willing to go with the flow of traffic at all but wants everyone to get the heck out of their way so they can speed.
Same assumption as above. Also, where does traffic in all lanes travel the speed limit or faster?

Quote:
If the person in the left lane is going the speed limit, the ONLY reason for there to be a problem is if someone else is speeding and can't control themselves if they have to drive the speed limit.
If someone is going the speed limit, then there is no need for them to be traveling in the left lane. Someone going the speed limit in the left lane should be doing so only so long as is necessary to pass and then merge right.

THL fails to take into account that there are legitimate reasons for speeding, such as first responders en route to an emergency call. She also assumes that all speed limits are set at levels that are reasonable and appropriate for drivers of all skill levels driving vehicles of various levels of upkeep on roads in various stages of repair and in ever-changing weather, traffic, and visibility.

Old 06-05-2015, 04:45 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,704 times
Around DC two drivers died some years ago because of this exact thing. One person would not let the other pass and he became enraged - two childish men who could not let it go. One of the drivers who died in the incident was involved in the altercation the other was an innocent commuter who got caught between their race. The suviving driver was charged with vehicular homicide. I tell this story because an innocent person died because of two idiots.

If you want to drive fast at all costs yes, you are an idiot. If you are the person trying to prevent that person from driving fast then yes you too are an idiot. The road is always going to have someone who wants to drive faster than you.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 AM

35,008 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
This law needs to be apply nationally, especially here in the bay area. Clogging up the left lane should be illegal. Kudos to the state of Indiana.

Should we punish drivers who dawdle in the left lane?
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't "keep right, pass left" the law in most states? Why not just enforce existing laws, and post signs that remind people of those.

One I would add would be "maintain speed on up-grades" since slowing down for a slight uphill pitch often inaugurates slowdowns that turn into traffic jams.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:55 AM

493 posts, read 385,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Maybe I'm wrong but isn't "keep right, pass left" the law in most states? Why not just enforce existing laws, and post signs that remind people of those.

One I would add would be "maintain speed on up-grades" since slowing down for a slight uphill pitch often inaugurates slowdowns that turn into traffic jams.
Those signs exist on many highways in New York and New Jersey

Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I missed where any of those said that speed, and speed alone, was the cause of deaths. They use language like "speed related" or "speed was a factor", but never do they say that speed by itself is the cause.
Which is the only way to phrase it, because unless all parties to a car accident were not moving, which would generally be pretty difficult to accomplish, "speed" is always a factor. What they don't do is say that the speed in question could have been 5 MPH.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:58 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't think anyone said it does.
Go back a few pages, you'll find at least a few people who think they're entitled to pass at 85 and have slower moving traffic who's doing the speed limit get out of the way.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:00 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Go back a few pages, you'll find at least a few people who think they're entitled to pass at 85 and have slower moving traffic who's doing the speed limit get out of the way.
That's exactly what the law says.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:09 AM

899 posts, read 1,014,974 times
I still don't understand why people get upset at left lane campers (I don't), but good for Indiana I suppose.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:22 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
That's exactly what the law says.
No it doesn't. The law does not grant you permission to break another law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive