Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 04:49 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
The one I owned was a four cylinder.
Did parts fall off a brand new car? They did on the Caliber I drove.
I drove a VUE with a CVT that was pretty bad, but the the Caliber's was equally bad with possibly the worst "rubber band" effect of any I've driven.
The whole thing was pretty cheesy and it wasn't even that cheap of a car.
At least with a VUE there were good versions you could choose. There are no good versions of a Caliber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 05:59 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
As far as judging brand reliability across continents, I would add that the lines between brands is slowly becoming more blurred as more parts and components are sourced from third party vendors. As examples, the BMW M4 and Cadillac ATS-V use the same steering rack and power steering unit. Also, Acura and Chrysler are using the same ZF designed 9 speed transmission (although, there is a vast difference in them at the moment due to Chrysler losing their head programmer for it midway through development and after that, bungled their electronics package for it making it shift poorly and grenade itself.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:18 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
As far as judging brand reliability across continents, I would add that the lines between brands is slowly becoming more blurred as more parts and components are sourced from third party vendors. As examples, the BMW M4 and Cadillac ATS-V use the same steering rack and power steering unit. Also, Acura and Chrysler are using the same ZF designed 9 speed transmission (although, there is a vast difference in them at the moment due to Chrysler losing their head programmer for it midway through development and after that, bungled their electronics package for it making it shift poorly and grenade itself.
Acura and Chrysler are both having serious issues with their ZF's.
I have never heard of a steering rack in a modern vehicle being the source of much issue aside from journalists opinions on "steering feel".

You are right, though, MANY parts are cross-sourced. This is why the GM Bail out helped Ford, which Ford publicly acknowledged.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Did parts fall off a brand new car? They did on the Caliber I drove.
I drove a VUE with a CVT that was pretty bad, but the the Caliber's was equally bad with possibly the worst "rubber band" effect of any I've driven.
The whole thing was pretty cheesy and it wasn't even that cheap of a car.
At least with a VUE there were good versions you could choose. There are no good versions of a Caliber.
The SRT Caliber actually performed pretty impressively. Honestly, SRT products are very solid, usually. They really are. It's like Dodge set aside that group and "Tiger Mom'ed" them into producing reliable stuff, lol

Old 06-12-2015, 06:26 AM

890 posts, read 882,898 times
Quote:
Did parts fall off a brand new car? .
Yes the Saturn was that bad. Interestingly, I could take the ignition key in and out of the car while it was running; without turning the switch - the engine did not shut off when I did this though. I bought the Vue new and sold it after one year for a loss, I could not stand it. I think it was a 2004 model year.

I had a rental Caliber and thought its handling was on the soft side and somewhat uncontrolled; I would not have bought it, but that was many years ago now. The Vue had similar handling.

The Vue had some severe problems. It developed a large creaking sound whenever it went through a turn. The dealer would work on it, and it would be good for a couple hundred miles before it started creaking again. This was for a new vehicle.

The leather was good, but the basic seats were not. The back bench seat was a torture device. Front seats were not much better.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:16 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
Yes the Saturn was that bad. Interestingly, I could take the ignition key in and out of the car while it was running; without turning the switch - the engine did not shut off when I did this though. I bought the Vue new and sold it after one year for a loss, I could not stand it. I think it was a 2004 model year.

I had a rental Caliber and thought its handling was on the soft side and somewhat uncontrolled; I would not have bought it, but that was many years ago now. The Vue had similar handling.

The Vue had some severe problems. It developed a large creaking sound whenever it went through a turn. The dealer would work on it, and it would be good for a couple hundred miles before it started creaking again. This was for a new vehicle.

The leather was good, but the basic seats were not. The back bench seat was a torture device. Front seats were not much better.
That's too bad.
Caliber's not the only new car I've had lose a part.
Had a passenger vanity mirror cover in a Lincoln Zephyr we were test driving come right off in my wife's hand.
It's particularly embarrassing when something like that happens in a "luxury" car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
The SRT Caliber actually performed pretty impressively. Honestly, SRT products are very solid, usually. They really are. It's like Dodge set aside that group and "Tiger Mom'ed" them into producing reliable stuff, lol
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say there's still no way you'd touch one with a ten foot pole.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:25 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Acura and Chrysler are both having serious issues with their ZF's.
I have never heard of a steering rack in a modern vehicle being the source of much issue aside from journalists opinions on "steering feel".

You are right, though, MANY parts are cross-sourced. This is why the GM Bail out helped Ford, which Ford publicly acknowledged.
Lots of steering racks need service or replacement as they age, and they are not a cheap repair. I think it is something worth of discussion in regards to long term reliability.

Not that I was accusing one brand or another of having more or less reliable steering racks. Just that, if they all start getting sourced from the same place (as will an increasing number of parts as time progresses), choosing a particular "brand" for reliability purposes will mean less and less.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
That's too bad.
Caliber's not the only new car I've had lose a part.
Had a passenger vanity mirror cover in a Lincoln Zephyr we were test driving come right off in my wife's hand.
It's particularly embarrassing when something like that happens in a "luxury" car.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say there's still no way you'd touch one with a ten foot pole.
I'd honestly buy an SRT product. Not an SRT caliber, simply because I find it unappealing, but I would buy an SRT product. Most of the technology in them is not Chrysler, but rather German, or Tremec, or something else, and the HEMI based motors are pretty solid.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Lots of steering racks need service or replacement as they age, and they are not a cheap repair. I think it is something worth of discussion in regards to long term reliability.

Not that I was accusing one brand or another of having more or less reliable steering racks. Just that, if they all start getting sourced from the same place (as will an increasing number of parts as time progresses), choosing a particular "brand" for reliability purposes will mean less and less.
Interesting. My family has owned probably 2 dozen vehicles during my 13 years that I lived with them growing up, and I've owned over half a dozen, and only one had issues, several hundred thousand miles in, and who knows how many jumped curbs (cop car).

Old 06-12-2015, 09:14 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times
No problems with our 2012 Chevy Malibu and Cruze 1LT's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive