Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:18 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,413,441 times

Advertisements

Just rode in one of these cars. It truly is the bat mobile. The acceleration is stunning. It feels like you are in a spaceship. So quiet. So sleek. The touch screens.... Lift the hood... It's a trunk!

My cousin has had it for a couple years... So it's the first model? No maintenance issues. He charges at home nightly and his home electric bill has gone down substantially because he is now allowed to buy his electricity off peak so it's much cheaper.

I want one.... But will wait for the next generation, more affordable models.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 09:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Tesla is a good car for local commuting, etc., in Southern Half of California.

Quote:
However:
1: Cold weather snow, and you lose up to 60% of its maximum range, and runs out of power real quick. Even more if you use the electric heater, etc.

2: Mountains are not electric car country, as they sap the battery and greatly reduce the range.

3: Add #1 and #2, and you really cut the range down to where it is not practical.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Tesla is a good car for local commuting, etc., in Southern Half of California.

1: Cold weather snow, and you lose up to 60% of its maximum range, and runs out of power real quick. Even more if you use the electric heater, etc.

2: Mountains are not electric car country, as they sap the battery and greatly reduce the range.

3: Add #1 and #2, and you really cut the range down to where it is not practical.
Seems ridiculous to pay so much money for such a compromised car. So what if it accelerates fast? So do lots of other cars.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:00 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Seems ridiculous to pay so much money for such a compromised car. So what if it accelerates fast? So do lots of other cars.
It is 10 times cheaper per mile, it is vastly better for the environment in operation, it's nearly silent, it will never overheat, it doesn't have a clunky transmission, it's designed beautifully, it is made in the USA, it handles fantastically (very low center of gravity), it is one of the safest cars ever made and it's quite comfortable. It seems to me that many luxury cars are severely compromised compared to it.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:16 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Disagree, it's a car built for a certain use. A semi is not practicle for daily driving, a Miata is not practicle for family use. They each have their place. If you can afford a Model S, you can afford a second gas powered car for when you need it. If you can't afford the Tesla, the company does not care about what you think.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:23 AM

22 posts, read 21,039 times
Quote:
It is 10 times cheaper per mile, it is vastly better for the environment in operation, it's nearly silent, it will never overheat, it doesn't have a clunky transmission, it's designed beautifully, it is made in the USA, it handles fantastically (very low center of gravity), it is one of the safest cars ever made and it's quite comfortable. It seems to me that many luxury cars are severely compromised compared to it.
I'd like to add that it's one of the few cars made of all aluminum so it will last a much longer time in much crappier climates. It's the primary reason it's considered the safest car ever made as well as aluminum lb for lb can withstand double the amount of force and is softer. If u got your own energy production and go on road trips a lot I think the car would be well worth it if you keep it for the rest of your life.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:06 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskdude57 View Post
I'd like to add that it's one of the few cars made of all aluminum so it will last a much longer time in much crappier climates. It's the primary reason it's considered the safest car ever made as well as aluminum lb for lb can withstand double the amount of force and is softer. If u got your own energy production and go on road trips a lot I think the car would be well worth it if you keep it for the rest of your life.
Many cars in the Tesla's class are made of aluminum. It's pretty much expected now.

Quote:
I think the car would be well worth it if you keep it for the rest of your life.
Keeping an old Tesla going is about the scariest automotive proposition I can think of short of an exotic.
Even more than an old Rolls. At least you have a few options when it comes to keeping a Rolls going, especially if it's a white one (think Wedding Dream Car).

A Tesla is a car that you buy knowing going in that you're probably going to be selling it before the warranty runs out.

Last edited by eaton53; 07-09-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 11:17 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,391,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If you can afford a Model S, you can afford a second gas powered car for when you need it.
Exactly. It's too impractical to have as a single vehicle.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:58 PM

22 posts, read 21,039 times
Quote:
Many cars in the Tesla's class are made of aluminum. It's pretty much expected now.
Not really, the audi a8, a2, and exotic supercars like ferrari, lamborghini etc... There's hardly ANY cars made of aluminum... That said you're not really getting a good deal on those over-priced hunks of metal. Not that I'd ever buy a 50 grand car or higher, but if I did It'd be a tesla...

Old 07-09-2015, 04:19 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Not really, the audi a8, a2, and exotic supercars like ferrari, lamborghini etc... There's hardly ANY cars made of aluminum... That said you're not really getting a good deal on those over-priced hunks of metal. Not that I'd ever buy a 50 grand car or higher, but if I did It'd be a tesla...
Audis, Jaguars, Cadillac CT6, BMW 7-Series (they're jumping to carbon fiber).
Tesla is pretty far from alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive