Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 AM

585 posts, read 492,504 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what folks do in this scenario:

You are stopped at a red light waiting for the traffic light to turn green in a line of cars on the street, say 20 or more. You are at the front of the line say car 2 or 3. A car from a parking lot approaches the road and wants to leave the parking lot and enter the street. You can either let this new car merge in front of you when the light turns green or go when the light turns green and this car will need to wait until someone else let's them enter the road or the line of traffic has passed them allowing them on to the street. What do you do and why?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 09:37 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
I have burned in the past letting these people in... Instead of turning right, they pull in front of me and block my way to turn left!

So I don't let them in unless I see a turn signal that they are going to turn right or it looks from the direction their car is heading that is their intention. Then no problem!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:40 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
It all depends on my mood that day and if they are being patient and waiting to be given the sign to go ahead of me or if they are trying to push their way in.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,080,348 times
The people on the primary road, who aren't changing direction, have the right-of-way.

If that light had be green for several minutes, the car in the parking lot have to sit there and wait for an opening.

And like Billy J said, you just screwed yourself over if they decide to take a left turn in front of you and make you miss the light.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:39 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,319,008 times
I have no idea, the closest traffic light is 15 miles away. And even during rush hour we don't have enough traffic to make it an issue.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:55 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,218 times
It depends. Usually, no I don't let them in since I've been waiting longer. But if they were waiting there before I got there, (lots of traffic on the main road) then maybe I'll let them in when the light turns green if I feel like it and like their car or something. But since most roads are 2 or more lanes, I seldom have to worry about them blocking the road to turn left or something.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:07 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
If they are turning right, in my lane going the same direction and there is no chance that I would be waiting through another light cycle then almost always I'll yield my right of way and let them in - I probably wouldn't let in a lifted truck or high profile vehicle though- I can't stand being behind those vehicles. As far as them going through the traffic to turn left, in the opposite direction and having to count on others to do the same yielding then no.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:15 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Just wondering what folks do in this scenario:

You are stopped at a red light waiting for the traffic light to turn green in a line of cars on the street, say 20 or more. You are at the front of the line say car 2 or 3. A car from a parking lot approaches the road and wants to leave the parking lot and enter the street. You can either let this new car merge in front of you when the light turns green or go when the light turns green and this car will need to wait until someone else let's them enter the road or the line of traffic has passed them allowing them on to the street. What do you do and why?

Is the car wanting to go from the parking lot crossing a double yellow line? If so, no. It could turn to be a dangerous situation. In other words, if the car is coming out from the right, yes.. let it in.

In my area, there are too many of those coming out of gas station or plaza crossing the double yellow.. I refuse to let them go first as it creates a dangerous situation.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:39 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,695 times
My general rule of thumb for letting people in is this: if I am already stopped (or going to be stopping anyway) because of a traffic light or traffic jam, I will let exactly one person in from the driveway or side road. The person behind me can then decide if he wishes to do the same and let the next one in or not. If I am already moving, they'll have to wait.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:52 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
With 20 people behind me? Nope, not letting them in most of the time. If one or two, sure. There are exceptions though. I don't generally think it's right to block so many for one petson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive