Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:45 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Have you ever heard of blind spots?
Blind spots - ever hear of adjusting your mirrors correctly?

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

But, even with that, you cannot avoid the blind spots created by the huge van parked next to you - or the child running between cars and directly behind you while you are moving.

I either back in or find a pull-through.

My husband was in the bomb squad (army eod) and they were required to always back in all vehicles. The reasoning made sense to me and I now do it out of habit. Plus, it takes far less time to back in than it does to back out.

If someone's time is so precious that s/he cannot wait for me to back in, then s/he doesn't belong driving - hire a driver to be dropped off. Or go park at the end of the lot so you don't have to wait for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 03:59 PM

93 posts, read 99,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
HE CAN'T PULL THROUGH LIKE YOU DID!
He wouldn't be able to pull through regardless of whether I pull through or not. Pulling through requires 2 spots being open (one to drive through and one to park in). If one of those spaces is occupied by my car (which may or may not be pulled through), then there is no way for the other car to pull through. (I'm not the one you replied to, but I felt I should address the issue.)

Old 07-17-2015, 09:19 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Whenever possible, I park so I do not have to back-up on entering or leaving the parking space.

In some circumstances, if it is safer to back into the spot....I will do so.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:55 PM

366 posts, read 493,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I got into the habit of backing into spaces when I was driving a Dodge Ram diesel pickup with an extended cab and an 8 foot bed. During that time I realized how much safer it is to back in to park (if you can't pull through) and then pull out when you leave rather than backing into traffic that you may not be able to see well due to the position or size or tinted windows of the car next to you. It doesn't take any longer to back in than to pull in, really, if you're used to doing it.

bertwrench, if it drives you nuts to have to wait the couple of seconds it takes someone to back in, then the problem may not be with them but with our "instant gratification" society. And "normal" is in the eye of the beholder - my husband wonders about people that don't think about parking and just do it the way all the other sheep do when there's a better, safer way.
If you're in a pickup, how would you have trouble seeing well due to a car next to you? You're higher than a car and have a more clear view and can see further. It is the cars that have the hardest time when between massive trucks and SUV's because you have to back out almost all the way before you can see anything.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:02 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Pulling through is wonderful for you, but what about the poor sap that has to park behind you? Sooner or later, you have to back up.

If you back up first, you get it done and out of the way. Y'all who pull in and go shopping, are tired and distracted when it's time to go home.

If it's really too much hassle to use your mirrors and back into a spot, there's always the bus.

What's really annoying is driving down the aisle and coming across that rude backer-outer who just comes barging out, impedes my traffic, then has to come back... usually not near far enough, then they have to change the gear shifter from reverse to forward, then drive away when they could have just backed in and driven forward to exit

You would then be complaining about said driver for taking too much time while backing into the space.
Why constitutes a "rude backer-outer"?

Old 07-19-2015, 02:27 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debragga View Post
I'm just curious to see what the people of this forum prefer to do - pull forward into spaces or back into them?
Depends on how dodgy it's going to be to get out of them. My pet hate is parallel parking; I don't like being boxed in.

Cheers,

Mahrie.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Blind spots - ever hear of adjusting your mirrors correctly?

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

But, even with that, you cannot avoid the blind spots created by the huge van parked next to you - or the child running between cars and directly behind you while you are moving.

I either back in or find a pull-through.

My husband was in the bomb squad (army eod) and they were required to always back in all vehicles. The reasoning made sense to me and I now do it out of habit. Plus, it takes far less time to back in than it does to back out.

If someone's time is so precious that s/he cannot wait for me to back in, then s/he doesn't belong driving - hire a driver to be dropped off. Or go park at the end of the lot so you don't have to wait for anyone.
It's the same for law enforcement. When you are required to respond rapidly it's much safer to hit the gas forward than in reverse.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:22 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I always back in when I can safely do so.

My reasoning is that I have greater awareness when approaching the parking space as to the surroundings and have a safe opportunity to back in giving me an easier time pulling out.

When you pull head in, you might be aware what is around when you approach the car, but that is quickly lost as you climb into the driver's seat, start the car, put seat belt on, etc etc.

Plus I like to be able to make a quick escape...for whatever reason. You never know.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:06 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
I pretty much almost always pull in. I don't mind backing out of a parking spot, as oppose to backing into a spot due to my laziness and the fact that I don't feel comfortable backing in.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:53 AM

8,479 posts, read 4,724,709 times
See the other thread - pull-through parking is my default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive