Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 08:59 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I disagree. There is practically no risk of personal harm in backing into a space. If you aren't a good backer, you may bump another car, but that is not a safety issue. (And arguably, if you can't back a car into a space, you really shouldn't be driving). Backing in, everything is stationairy. Backing out, things are moving and it is much less safe.
Bumping another car could cause thousands of dollars of damage. Even if it isn't that severe, bumping cars is not good driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:06 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Depends. I don't like to back out of a space, so I will find a pull through space if I can
I just pulled in until I went to a driver safety lecture for parents of teens. We were taught to always back in when possible for the safety of pedestrians when leaving the space.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
I hardly ever back in cept at home to keep the door dings from my idiot neighbor who cant park or open their door without hitting my car. I can more distance and no dings that way. Other places I just park it however is convient. I normally park pretty far out at malls and such so others don't park near me.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
A few years ago I used to back into spaces most times....this was until I realized it is harder overall. It is harder to back into a space between two cars than it is to back out into a larger open car "aisle" when ready to leave. Pull in between two vehicles and back out into an open aisle. Can't be easier.

It now drives me nuts when I am behind folks who absolutely have to back into spaces. They hold everyone up while they back in. Get a life and be normal and just pull in. Of course, the best is when you can pull through a space.
It must drive you nuts when people parallel park. I also wonder how you feel about being stuck behind someone who takes forever to back out of a parking space because they are afraid of being hit. Backing into a parking space is far safer. You can actually see oncoming traffic when you leave.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default New drivers: back into all spaces and driveways

Quote:
Originally Posted by debragga View Post
I'm just curious to see what the people of this forum prefer to do - pull forward into spaces or back into them?
Backing in means when you leave you see all in front, including kids and bicycles. If you're not a high use attentive driver backing in means when you leave the windshield is in front of you along with the hazards. I back into everywhere, including where signs say "don't back into stalls". Bite me.

Adults back over the playing kids all the time having to go to the store to get cigarettes and beer.
Back in; nose out.

Last edited by thedwightguy; 07-16-2015 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: finish idea

Old 07-16-2015, 02:49 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
MUCH safer to back into a space than to back out of a space if you are in a parking lot. Also if you drive a pickup truck it's much easier. It's damn near impossible to pull into a parking space going forward because spots are pretty narrow here in the Boston area. If I want to pull into a spot forward I need to do a 3 point maneuver (overshoot the spot, then back up to get a straighter angle into the spot, then pull into the spot).

Old 07-16-2015, 02:51 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
In many cities, it is illegal to back into a space.
That's funny. In many foreign cities it's REQUIRED to back into a space for safety reasons. The US has it all backwards.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:28 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Big difference. Driving straight in, you see everything in front of you. Backing up you have to be checking three different mirrors as well as looking over your shoulder, and even then there will be blind spots. You look over your shoulder to the right, and suddenly somebody in a car on the left throws their door open, and crunch.
Snipped out everything I said proving there was no difference, and then just repeating yourself. It's kind of like sticking your fingers in your ears and yelling, "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!" continuously.

When backing in, I see everything the same as going in forwards. There is NO difference. If somebody throws open their door, I guarantee you I will see it. It's never been a problem in over 30 years. Nope, no difference.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:38 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I've lived in Austin all my life and that's the first time I've ever heard of that.
It was all over the news, print, TV, radio, and online when they passed it and when the spaces were re-aligned in 2011 - don't know how you missed it, I was TRYING to avoid it and couldn't! "Woe is me, I'll have to back into a parking space and it's haaarrrddddd!" was the cry. Which told you who was a decent parker and who wasn't, of course.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:45 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I pull in and pull through as well, so that I can drive right out of the spot. That's because I drive a Transit cargo van, and the rear windows are fine, but the side view behind the driver and passenger window is blocked by the sliding door on each side. Very convenient for loading and unloading, but makes parking a little bit more of a challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive