Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 02:37 PM

8,445 posts, read 10,864,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
At least she stopped at the bottom.

I've seen people stop at the top of an on ramp and try and wait for a gap in traffic more than once. Unless you're getting on the bridge from Treasure Island or something weird there's no god damn stop/yield sign on an on-ramp.
Obviously you have never been to SoCal.
Here are examples of where we have to come to a complete stop before entering the freeway.
There are more here in SoCal.

Moderator cut: Copyrighted Image
Many, if not all freeways in SoCal have meters on the on ramp.
One has to come to a complete stop before entering the freeway.
Bob.

Last edited by Jeo123; 08-11-2015 at 12:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 02:59 PM

6,972 posts, read 4,822,259 times
Heck, I'm pushing 60 and I get tired of all the slow drivers out there that are younger than me. And I've noticed my reflexes are lots faster than theirs, too. So naturally, the other day when the idjit in front of me was tootling away in a straight, half mile long on-ramp to a 60mph highway, only going 40 and not accelerating, I did the only thing I could. I passed him. On the on-ramp. I should point out that that particular on-ramp has two lanes to about the half way point before they merge into one, and I passed before they merged (sort of), but still...who expects to be passed on an on-ramp? Slow people under 60 who aren't accelerating to get up to traffic speed, that's who.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Obviously you have never been to SoCal.
Here are examples of where we have to come to a complete stop before entering the freeway.
There are more here in SoCal.

Many, if not all freeways in SoCal have meters on the on ramp.
One has to come to a complete stop before entering the freeway.
Bob.
I know in northern California, most of the meters are on only when the traffic is really backed up. That way you can merge going 5mph into traffic that's only going 5 mph. Maybe that's part of the problem where I live now. Everybody is so used to slow moving traffic and stopping before they get on a freeway, they don't know how to really merge with the traffic.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:06 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,903,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoeater View Post
1) Driving incredibly slow, and subsequently changing lanes incredibly slowly, does not mean you are driving safely. It is proper to accelerate into a lane change.

2) putting on your turn single for 0.00002 seconds after 90% of your vehicle has already changed lanes (slowly) is not an acceptable manner in which to indicate that you are changing lanes. You may as well not put the signal on at all if this is your tactic.

I hope this PSA was helpful.

Your pal,

Tacoeater
Perhaps it has been previously mentioned (I'm not gonna bother reading the entire thread to find out), but just exactly WHAT is a "turn single"?

Old 07-21-2015, 03:23 PM

2,681 posts, read 2,165,255 times
Here it is: everybody can be expected to take care of their own interests and, while it is sometimes polite to consider other people's perspectives, there is no obligation to put them ahead of your own, as their interests are no more important than yours.

I don't care how old you are or where you are going. If the highway is posted at 45 min. and 55 max, and you are trying to get somewhere fast but I am driving at 55-60 in front of you -- tough luck. Write your congressman, or pass at 90mph honking your horn and take your chances with the highway patrol, but don't try to convince me that you are more important than me and I have some kind of obligation to drive in a manner that suits you, particularly when you are goosing me to exceed the posted speed limit.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I would pull over for your funeral. I would also follow you to the cemetery and to further show my respect for you I would pour a bottle of Jack Danial's on your grave, but I would drink it first.
excellent!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
I am 68. I can STILL parallel park my old GMC 4-wheel drive with my 4-horse stock trailer attached, if there is a 2+ car spot available.
impressive. never did that, but i have backed a long wheelbase one ton van with a short trailer attached one hundred yards in an underground parking structure, including making several turns to avoid support columns and other vehicles. that was fun. surprised teh heck out of my boss when i did it without his help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
Skin it, cut it up and hang it in the smokehouse
mmmmm, beef jerky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Heck I think traffic accidents should be cleared quickly, and the cops should place just as much priority on putting warning signs ahead of the wreck so people can know and detour before it's too late as they should the accident itself. The inconveniencing such accidents cause other people aren't taken seriously enough. It's not that hard to send 4-5 cops to the scene of the accident itself and 2 others on the road leading into it to place signs a good 2-3 miles ahead of the wreck or so in order that people can know and go around it all. On top of that, people who "rubberneck" should have their license revoked. The emergency staff are already on the scene, what are you going to do? Keep moving.
i dislike rubberneckers as well, but sending a bunch of cops, especially when their resources are already limited and strained, to an accident scene is a waste of manpower if things were done your way. and dont forget that the cops need to investigate the accident, including taking pictures of the scene, taking measurements, etc. if you think you can do better, the cops are always looking for good people, sign up for the academy, perhaps you can then go through the ranks and run things your way.
Quote:
The roads are not yours. That's actually what I'm saying. Slow people are being selfish to inflict their slowness on others. If there is any "entitlement" here, it's on people driving below the speed limit in the slow lane, taking 5 seconds to go when the light turns green (and those 5 seconds do count on lights with a short cycle), and not even trying to go faster or yield to others with the ability to go faster. I'm not interested in "co-existing" with a slow person, I'm interested in them learning to go faster, staying out of the way, or getting BLOWN out of the way by force. As my grandfather used to say, and he was someone who had no encounters with the police or such, I'd love for a bulldozer going 80mph to end up behind them with their brakes having failed to FORCE them off the road. You're darned right. It's the same as how George Carlin used to say "don't you wish sometimes rather than those cute headlights you had 50 caliber machine guns?"
it is true, the roads are not mine, but then they are NOT YOURS EITHER. dont like people going the limit or slightly under? tough noogies. did it ever occur to you that perhaps us older driver dont like you idiots driving faster than the limit? that perhaps you do things that screw us up? so again you dont like it? TOUGH!!! that makes me so happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Dear, 17-30 year old male drivers. Remember what happened to Paul Walker.
they cant, their brains havent developed enough yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Here it is: everybody can be expected to take care of their own interests and, while it is sometimes polite to consider other people's perspectives, there is no obligation to put them ahead of your own, as their interests are no more important than yours. I don't care how old you are or where you are going. If the highway is posted at 45 min. and 55 max, and you are trying to get somewhere fast but I am driving at 55-60 in front of you -- tough luck. Write your congressman, or pass at 90mph honking your horn and take your chances with the highway patrol, but don't try to convince me that you are more important than me and I have some kind of obligation to drive in a manner that suits you, particularly when you are goosing me to exceed the posted speed limit.
well said!!!!!

Old 07-21-2015, 05:38 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,291,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i dislike rubberneckers as well, but sending a bunch of cops, especially when their resources are already limited and strained, to an accident scene is a waste of manpower if things were done your way. and dont forget that the cops need to investigate the accident, including taking pictures of the scene, taking measurements, etc. if you think you can do better, the cops are always looking for good people, sign up for the academy, perhaps you can then go through the ranks and run things your way.
When I'm on the road, I care about one thing--MOVING. I don't know the person, and I don't want to get caught up in their mess when I had nothing to do with it and I don't know them from Steve. Get it out of the way, or at least go 2-3 miles ahead and put signs up so people KNOW what they're headed towards and don't have to get caught up in it. I don't need to interrupt my life and become a police officer to have the sense to know to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it is true, the roads are not mine, but then they are NOT YOURS EITHER. dont like people going the limit or slightly under? tough noogies. did it ever occur to you that perhaps us older driver dont like you idiots driving faster than the limit? that perhaps you do things that screw us up? so again you dont like it? TOUGH!!!
Right there is the reason why road rage exists. People are RIGHT to not want to have to get stuck behind someone of ANY age who can't go the speed limit. They want such people out of the way, and they are RIGHT to want that. That people eventually snap and do violent things, the slow person is just as much to blame, if not more so, as the "crazy" person. It's ridiculous to think that people should just sit back and let themselves get raped on the highway.

Someone speeding doesn't affect you unless a crash occurs, whereas someone driving slow they are forcing others to have to go slow along with them. It's pretty much a form of kidnapping, and where I come from, kidnappers are dealt with. So--if you don't want to run the risk of someone "dealing with you," I suggest the slow drivers better wake up and move out of the way, or get back on the porch if they can't run with the big dogs.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 PM

332 posts, read 514,404 times
Quote:
Heck I think traffic accidents should be cleared quickly, and the cops should place just as much priority on putting warning signs ahead of the wreck so people can know and detour before it's too late as they should the accident itself. The inconveniencing such accidents cause other people aren't taken seriously enough. It's not that hard to send 4-5 cops to the scene of the accident itself and 2 others on the road leading into it to place signs a good 2-3 miles ahead of the wreck or so in order that people can know and go around it all. On top of that, people who "rubberneck" should have their license revoked. The emergency staff are already on the scene, what are you going to do? Keep moving.
as someone that goes to accidents (and is one of the guys that actually DOES the clearing (tow truck driver) I agree. when law enforcement calls for a wrecker for a crash they want us there NOW (its a proven fact that accidents cause accidents).

So for the people that say "you should leave earlier", how would you like me to do that? I can neither confirm nor deny that certain traffic laws may or may not be violated on the way to the scene; but the LAST thing I need is for someone to play traffic cop and slow me down.

and people that don't know how to merge, LEARN!!! geeze its an on-ramp/acceleration lane, its not complicated. you aren't being "safe" you aren't being "careful" you are creating a hazard plain and simple.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:45 PM

7,469 posts, read 6,195,790 times
Quote:
When I'm on the road, I care about one thing--MOVING. I don't know the person, and I don't want to get caught up in their mess when I had nothing to do with it and I don't know them from Steve. Get it out of the way, or at least go 2-3 miles ahead and put signs up so people KNOW what they're headed towards and don't have to get caught up in it. I don't need to interrupt my life and become a police officer to have the sense to know to do that.

Right there is the reason why road rage exists. People are RIGHT to not want to have to get stuck behind someone of ANY age who can't go the speed limit. They want such people out of the way, and they are RIGHT to want that. That people eventually snap and do violent things, the slow person is just as much to blame, if not more so, as the "crazy" person. It's ridiculous to think that people should just sit back and let themselves get raped on the highway.

Someone speeding doesn't affect you unless a crash occurs, whereas someone driving slow they are forcing others to have to go slow along with them. It's pretty much a form of kidnapping, and where I come from, kidnappers are dealt with. So--if you don't want to run the risk of someone "dealing with you," I suggest the slow drivers better wake up and move out of the way, or get back on the porch if they can't run with the big dogs.
I wouldn't screw around with the old timers. You will run into one of the many who carry and at their age, they have a lot less to lose than you.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:24 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,851,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
"BE MOVED" ?? How exactly do you plan on accomplishing that?

A bit off topic? This is a completely useless rant that you've babbled on about on several occasions.
But good, go find another road. It's not a southern custom. It's done everywhere.

Oh, I tend to agree. Particularly if every person that died get's brought to your particular city, one after the other for their procession.

Well, do you think that procession is just....doing a lap around the block? Or, do you think they might have a destination in mind?

You really have no idea how touching it is to experience people pulling over for someone you've lost, do you?

shyguy has posted in - if not started - several threads concerning his/her rights to the roads and frustrations
with every driver who purposefully "impedes" him/her. How many drivers are in direct conflict? It usually comes down to what you see here. Basically everyone.

She/he is the perfect example of an individual who needs to wake up an hour to leave the house before late to work. Most people who have this POV direct it at everyone/everything in life to make up for their own short comings.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,851,257 times
Quote:

Are you conscious when typing this stuff?
How do you go about "dealing" with people or moving them out of your way?

You are a bad case of road rage waiting to be put down by a cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive