Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:53 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Actually, the folks who are marketing this device are simply using the Bell & Howell name under license.
When companies go out of business--like Bell & Howell and many others--the last marketable asset that they own is their trademarked name, and that can bring in a few bucks at the end of the game.

Or...did you think that Westinghouse, RCA, and Singer were also still in business, rather than having their names appropriated--for a fee?

I am well aware of your point. The difference is that people brand another TV with the RCA logo. They don’t put it on a bulldozer. I am old enough to remember that Bell and Howell were known for their movie projectors and other photographic equipment. How is B&H helping with selling this useless widget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:03 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
I don't have a square catch for the door latch in either of my cars so this is lost on me. If it fits any kind of door they don't advertise it, much less show it.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:07 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
That just looks like a back injury or majorly bruised hip waiting to happen....

Old 07-19-2015, 08:12 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Well, I just saw it. It looks silly but what do I know. They sold millions of “hurrycane” too.

https://www.carcane.com
It sticks out a fair amount. I could see people jamming themselves on it and taking out a kidney. Also, is a door latch really designed for that type of torque? It looks too generic to fit all latches, anyhow.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:17 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That just looks like a back injury or majorly bruised hip waiting to happen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
It sticks out a fair amount. I could see people jamming themselves on it and taking out a kidney. Also, is a door latch really designed for that type of torque? It looks too generic to fit all latches, anyhow.
^^^Exactly. They look dangerous. Plus forgetting to take it out and then close the door jamming everything up.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:14 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
I could have used one last week. I was driving a Chevy Cruze rental car that was a real PITA to get in and out of.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:40 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I could have used one last week. I was driving a Chevy Cruze rental car that was a real PITA to get in and out of.
I can relate.
From all I heard/read about it, I REALLY wanted to like the Chevy Cruise. Unfortunately, reasonably parked to it's next neighbor on the lot, I got half way in, and could NOT get in anymore or out{even with my cane} without a helping hand!!!!

THAT ended my "love affair" with the Cruise!!!

Old 07-20-2015, 01:45 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Now, you watch!

Next, we will be bombarded with TV commercials from personal injury law firms saying:

"IF YOU have been injured or your car has been damaged by the so-called "car cane"...Please call 1-800-A-LAWYER for help! We may get you a settlement RIGHT AWAY!! Operators are now STANDING BY!"

{I can surely jest because I already use a cane!}

Old 07-20-2015, 02:20 AM

477 posts, read 509,337 times
I thought about one of those. Briefly. Even if there were no danger of mechanical damage to the car, by the time I got turned around enough to get the thing stuck in there, then turned back around enough to use it to get out of the car - I could have been out of the car already.

Thanks, I'll just make sure my next car is something I can get in and out of more easily. Like a Versa, or a Scion XB, or whatever they have by that time. Actually I should have held out for something like that this last time I bought a car, but I was still in denial.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:14 AM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,791 times
It's actually a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive