Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 10:57 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,214,226 times

Advertisements

That's why they never get any personal info until I find what I want, we agree on a price and sit down to write it up.

i
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 11:06 AM

308 posts, read 494,769 times
They are just doing their job, it is normal. Yes, I agree it can get annoying. But just simply tell them you're not interested anymore or you already bought something. They will stop calling.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:15 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,649,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
It is "common courtesy" to return phone calls for something like this.

Perhaps if you were to COMMUNICATE with the salesperson and tell him you are no longer interested, then he will stop calling? (Or not given him your number in the first place.)

If you are afraid to do this, maybe you can get you mom to call for you?
Yes! Call them back and tell them that you are not interested and to please not call you anymore. Or as this poster said, have your mom call them! Hahahaha!

Old 07-21-2015, 11:33 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,953,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post

And don't even get me started about the dealer ~an hour away who confirmed on the phone that they had the car in stock, and only bothered to check that it was still there once I had driven all the way to the dealership. "Oops, we sold it yesterday, it wasn't updated in our system yet".
I am also in Houston, That has pissed me off a few times. Because of this I longer go to traditional dealers to buy used cars..

Those car sales people are vultures,they have no shame But all game. You ve got to firmly tell them NO I am not interested and please do not call me again.

Op every one those dealers wants your drivers license and number. So they want you to test drive every car they got and stay on the lot as long as possible. Hopefully you lol like something.

Last edited by Chris V; 07-21-2015 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 11:46 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,164,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
So they want you to test drive every car they got and stay on the lot as long as possible. Hopefully you lol like something.
They don't want me coming around then.
I'd waste their whole day test driving stuff if they'd let me.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,426,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Absolutely, dealers want all your contact info. so they can play games. Tell them they bothered you enough and you already bought a car elsewhere.
Exactly.

1} they sometimes even get a copy of your D/L so they can run a pre-credit on you while you are out galavanting in a test drive-even though you may not have authorized it... Others will copy it 'for insurance reasons" so they have a record that you are indeed legal to drive the car. Others are plain NOSY. Salesman are taught that if they don't sell you "right away" they will "lose" you. Because statistics show "if someone walks off the lot they tend to NOT come back".

2}get caller ID and don't answer from them.

3} go back to the dealer and ask to see the GM {General Manager}. Tell them to stop the calls or you turn them in for harassment. {I did that once when a "zealous" finance guy pounded the desk at me trying to talk me into adding an expensive "warrantee package" {that they don't even take!!!} onto the vehicle cost. I said yes to get out of there, but thought more about it,and went the next day and asked to see the GM, it got 'taken care of', and I refused to buy the vehicle on that grounds, asked for all my paperwork {to shred} and walked out. Don't know if the finance guy got fired or not...never went back}.

4} tell them you decided and "bought a 20XX "X" model", and thank them for their time. Of course, beware you can't go back to them unless you want the same treatment

END of story.

Best of luck

Old 07-21-2015, 02:50 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,855,605 times
My coworker is having that problem. She went to the Nissan dealership to test drive a something or other, didn't like it, and left. This was over a month ago and they are still blowing up her phone wanting her to buy a car. She's told them she's not interested and still they call. Those types of creeps are what Mr. Number was designed for. When I look at a car, I give them a fake number and my trash email address. That stops the harrassment issue before it has a chance to start.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:10 PM

6,749 posts, read 5,426,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My coworker is having that problem. She went to the Nissan dealership to test drive a something or other, didn't like it, and left. This was over a month ago and they are still blowing up her phone wanting her to buy a car. She's told them she's not interested and still they call. Those types of creeps are what Mr. Number was designed for. When I look at a car, I give them a fake number and my trash email address. That stops the harrassment issue before it has a chance to start.
I don't give them an email addy, I give the least info I can. And then ONLY if I want to test drive a car will I cooperate. If I only want to LQQK, i only give them a first name only, and tell them if it doesn't 'sit right" I won't be driving it...if they don't want to deal that way, then I leave. i Used to give the computer phone number{we rarely answered it-it went straight to machine}, but we don't have that anymore so, now...but we aren't buying anything for awhile.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:16 PM

8,071 posts, read 9,988,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post

The main question is this: is this a normal practice for dealers to get your personal info right away? He wouldn't even show me any cars, saying that they need this info to do business.
Yes. That is typical. THEY want to control the process, not you. YOU are only the buyer and the person who will pay.

You need to "man up" and tell them NO. You are not interested in anything except what you specifically want. YOU dictate the price you are going to pay, not them, unless they are going to pay for it. Capiche?

Come on.....grow a set. Stop being dumb. NEVER give anyone your personal information. What would a car dealer possibly do with it other than try to SELL you something? Right?

Old 07-21-2015, 04:41 PM

424 posts, read 378,849 times
Fake # baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive