Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 04:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times

Advertisements

Hackers Remotely Kill A Jeep On The Highway

"The Jeep’s strange behavior wasn’t entirely unexpected. I’d come to St. Louis to be Miller and Valasek’s digital crash-test dummy, a willing subject on whom they could test the car-hacking research they’d been doing over the past year. The result of their work was a hacking technique—what the security industry calls a zero-day exploit—that can target Jeep Cherokees and give the attacker wireless control, via the Internet, to any of thousands of vehicles. Their code is an automaker’s nightmare: software that lets hackers send commands through the Jeep’s entertainment system to its dashboard functions, steering, brakes, and transmission, all from a laptop that may be across the country."

Read the rest, this is by no means limited to Jeep:
Hackers Remotely Kill a Jeep on the Highway

And here is an interesting discussion of the auto/computer tech problem on Reddit -
https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/...n_the_highway/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 04:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Hackers Remotely Kill Jeep on the Highway

Old 07-22-2015, 09:52 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,461 times
I'm going to make a killing renting my 70-79 cars. Only way to stop them is spike strips, a ditch, or a bullet! Oh yeah, I sense a new opportunity.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:41 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Old topic, but writing on the wall nonetheless. What are the purported needs for having the PCM and BCM connected to external communications hardware? Under what guise is this technology being pushed forward? These systems should be isolated from each other as they have been for 100+ years. This is a completely unnecessary and potentially dangerous (as evidenced) feature of vehicles.

Possible, alleged uses for having the link: "Quick and easy" updates to PCM/BCM software or overall monitoring to be used as "feedback for continual product improvement" or data collection in order to "develop methods and practices to further reduce negative impact of emissions on the environment" or I'm certain there is some save-the-children reasoning; "[Vehicle Mfg.] strives to continually and vigorously improve upon the safety of our product and with these features we are now equipped to know, first hand, in all of our products, where we fall short."

Old 01-13-2016, 11:22 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Yeah, it's all about
1. data collection
2. know everything about our product (and those inside of it)
3. CONTROL

Just like pixels on displays now called money. You have them now - puff, gone next moment.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:12 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
This is the reason I looked for a car (Challenger) that has only AM/FM/CD/Aux rather than the info-tainment system. If I need navigation I'll use the phone app.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Get a Wrangler... The infotainment center is not tied into vehicle functions.

Or, get a car with manual transmission... if hackers taking control of your vehicle is a big problem in your life, it's a easy defeat; just shift to neutral, stop and stall the car out.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Or you can buy a car....any car, and not have the issue. The Jeep was programmed to accept the commands remotely. The car must be programmed to accept the commands or it doesn't work. It also doesn't work with the brakes or the ignition key so IF you are dumb enough to let someone program your car to accept remote commands, all you have to do is hit the key, turn off the engine, hit the brakes. The entire event was to see IF the cars of today COULD be programmed. As with the Jeep, it was programmed thru the phone system. Turn off your Bluetooth and you've eliminated anybody even doing it with your approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive