Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you pick up hitchhikers?
Yes, whenever I see them. 1 0.75%
Only if it feels right, but not always. 36 26.87%
No, not a slowflake's chance in hell... 97 72.39%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:37 AM

45,357 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I wouldn't, but like others I have to wonder who still sees hitchhikers. I doubt if I've seen one in at least the last 10 years, maybe more.
I'll see one maybe every couple months. Usually, since I know them, they're doing so due to loss of license.

A couple I'll pick up, the majority not because, again since I know them, their behavior is unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 07:48 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,305 times
Never have, never will.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:00 AM

396 posts, read 512,644 times
I used to but that was a long time ago and when I lived in a college town where a lot of students got around by hitch-hiking. And that probably wasn't the smartest thing to do. Nowadays, no. If I see a disabled car by the roadside and someone hitch-hiking next to it, I'd call our state's emergency number to report it. The world has changed and not for the better.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:03 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
I haven't seen a hitchiker in years until last thursday, I saw one in Tennessee, but the truck was full, couldn't fit anyone in if I tried.
When I was a kid, my Mom always told me the evil stuff she would do to me if I hitchhiked. So, I never did. --Until-- I cut school one day to go play pinball at the bowling alley with "friend" of mine. So time got away and we need to get back to school fast. We start walking, and all the sudden my friends thumb goes up!!
Oh no . . .
I say "Lets just run, no hitchhike, we can make it . . . "
As soon as I say that, a big, white Lincoln pulls up in front of us. My friends gloats, chest all puffed up, says--"We're ridin' in style, too!".
As we get up to the car, the passenger door swings open and our principal asks us if we needed a ride.
My Mom was called in to pick me up. It was a rough night at my house.
1976. good times.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:04 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Multiple times in Colorado ... picking up skiers and boarders at the bottom of the pass. Give em a ride back to the top.

Once in Wyoming....she was obviously a backpacker. Turns out she was hiking the 3000 + mile CDT solo. I dropped her off in town then we had lunch. It was amazing talking with somebody that was hiking the hardest trail in the US solo! She had already done the PCT and the AT twice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Divide_Trail

Old 07-25-2015, 09:14 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
I have hitchhiked and I sometimes pick up hitchhikers.

The hitchhikers I pick up are only those who look "clean cut". I don't pick up anyone who looks like a bum or hippie - I don't want to be carrying anyone in my car who may possess illegal drugs.

I will not pick up anyone wearing a hoodie and not showing their face - what are they hiding from?

Many times I've picked up "working guys" whose cars have broken down or in one case the guy let an old woman onto the city bus in his place and hitchhiked instead - I came right along and he did not have to wait a minute for a ride!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:05 AM

438 posts, read 653,486 times
No. I guess I've watch too many of those Forensic Files shows on the ID channel. I wouldn't trust anyone that much nowadays.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:16 AM

779 posts, read 927,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I have hitchhiked and I sometimes pick up hitchhikers.

The hitchhikers I pick up are only those who look "clean cut". I don't pick up anyone who looks like a bum or hippie - I don't want to be carrying anyone in my car who may possess illegal drugs.

I will not pick up anyone wearing a hoodie and not showing their face - what are they hiding from?

Many times I've picked up "working guys" whose cars have broken down or in one case the guy let an old woman onto the city bus in his place and hitchhiked instead - I came right along and he did not have to wait a minute for a ride!
You mean like Ted Bundy or Philip Markoff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
No. I guess I've watch too many of those Forensic Files shows on the ID channel. I wouldn't trust anyone that much nowadays.
^^^ This, it's just not worth the risk(s).

Old 07-25-2015, 10:21 AM

1,400 posts, read 765,598 times
I picked up a girl who was hitchhiking because I was afraid if I didn't, she might have gotten into a car with a man or men, and that sometimes ends up in tragedy.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I did some hitchhiking when a teen, back in the late 60s, and almost always got picked up by harmless, even fun hippies in a VW bus that had only 2-3 of the 4 gears working and struggled up the hills. Other times an occasional trucker, but it never seemed dangerous then. Now I would consider the hitchhikers to be more worrisome than the driver, but in both cases there just seem to be more crazies out there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive