Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:03 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

While the national Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices has included provisions to allow the big blue logo signs on urban freeways (as long as adequate sign spacing can be maintained) since its 2000 edition, some states continue to restrict their programs to rural highways only. Currently, 15 states allow the installation of logo signs on urban freeways, those states being Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin. As of 2013, Arizona is the most recent state to lift the restriction of logo signs to rural highways, with logo signs now installed on several Phoenix area freeways (I-10, I-17, Loop 101, Loop 202, and SR 51, with US 60 planned for later this year).

I wonder, which state do you think will be next to allow logo signs on urban freeways?

Here are some possibilities:
  • New Mexico - New Mexico law actually does permit logo signs in urban areas, but apparently the state is too poor to conduct engineering studies to find installation sites within Albuquerque. Perhaps if NMDOT got more funding Albuquerque could get some logo signs in the future.
  • South Carolina - This is one of the few states in the South that still restricts logo signs to rural areas, with their neighbors in North Carolina and Georgia both allowing logo signs in urban areas.
  • Tennessee - Same reason as SC.
It definitely IMO won't be California or New York. Considering how far left wing those two states are, they will probably never allow logo signs on urban freeways. California's program is actually an extreme example, since the state doesn't allow logo signs within any municipality with a population over 5,000, which would hardly be considered urban at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:21 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,191 times
What are logo signs?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:35 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
What are logo signs?
This is a logo sign:

Old 07-25-2015, 11:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Its called the Uniform Traffic Code. It allows the option to states only. Many states only allow it in rural areas because of the problem with others in urban areas causing confusion; in their opinion. Same as before the regulated bill boards along highways.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:40 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
We do have those signs here in CA. But then I re-read your post and saw the 'urban' distinction. And now that I think of it, I can't recall seeing any of them anywhere in the greater LA/OC area. But I have seen them on many rural/travel routes like I-5, SR99, SR58, etc.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:44 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I have seen those signs all over the country. I find them very helpful when in places that are new to me.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:51 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,346 times
They are great alternatives to the ugly giant billboards that pollute many roadways

Old 07-26-2015, 10:04 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Bring back the Burma Shave Signs, I miss them...
Where are the Burma Shave Signs?

Old 07-26-2015, 10:16 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times
We have bigger problems here, I'm afraid.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
While the national Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices has included provisions to allow the big blue logo signs on urban freeways (as long as adequate sign spacing can be maintained) since its 2000 edition, some states continue to restrict their programs to rural highways only. Currently, 15 states allow the installation of logo signs on urban freeways, those states being Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, North Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin. As of 2013, Arizona is the most recent state to lift the restriction of logo signs to rural highways, with logo signs now installed on several Phoenix area freeways (I-10, I-17, Loop 101, Loop 202, and SR 51, with US 60 planned for later this year).

I wonder, which state do you think will be next to allow logo signs on urban freeways?

Here are some possibilities:
  • New Mexico - New Mexico law actually does permit logo signs in urban areas, but apparently the state is too poor to conduct engineering studies to find installation sites within Albuquerque. Perhaps if NMDOT got more funding Albuquerque could get some logo signs in the future.
  • South Carolina - This is one of the few states in the South that still restricts logo signs to rural areas, with their neighbors in North Carolina and Georgia both allowing logo signs in urban areas.
  • Tennessee - Same reason as SC.
It definitely IMO won't be California or New York. Considering how far left wing those two states are, they will probably never allow logo signs on urban freeways. California's program is actually an extreme example, since the state doesn't allow logo signs within any municipality with a population over 5,000, which would hardly be considered urban at all.
I dont know of any "urban" freeways here in SC, but I see them along the suburban / rural freeways. I am curious as to the cost to business owners. Its a fantastic service for travelers as well as the business owners
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive